Post tensioning design and construction
3 - 5 April 2017
- Duration: 2 or 3 days
- 2 days £775 before 3 March 2017
£875 after 3 March 2017
- 3 days £975 before 3 March 2017
£1075 after 3 March 2017
- Contact us
This course provides the know-how and tools for efficient and economical design of post-tensioned structures. It presents the latest developments in construction technology, code provisions, design procedures, and software tools.
After a brief introduction to current post-tensioning systems and construction practice, the course continues with the economics of both grouted and unbonded post-tensioning systems. It covers the concepts and the practical design procedures for post-tensioned beams, one-way and column supported two-way flat slab construction. Each step is supplemented with well-documented literature, examples, and computer simulations.
The course continues with the state-of-the-art methods for graphical modelling of structures for analysis and design of floor systems, including the efficient use of AutoCad drawings, Revit Structure© and ADAPT's model generation tools in bringing BIM within reach of everyday consulting work. It presents an integrated and seamless process for generating structural calculations, post-tensioning and reinforcement drawings, shop (fabrication) drawings and the estimate of quantities.
The course demonstrates an integrated workflow for detailed design of post-tensioned floor systems, foundations, vertical elements, and the overall global design of a building for gravity and lateral loads. The course also covers short and long-term deflections, cracking, temperature loads, crack mitigation schemes, design for seismic forces, and vibration evaluation and control.
This programme will include:
- Current post-tensioning systems and construction practice in buildings and parking structures
- Economic advantages of post-tensioning in building construction
- Design know-how and detailing of post-tensioned structures
- Latest design code provisions for design of post-tensioned structures (EC2, ACI 318-2014, International Building Code)
- Overview and application of TR43 Report
- Short and long-term deflections; cracked deflection
- 10-Step design of post-tensioned floors
- Effects and design for restraint of supports to shortening of post-tensioned members,
- Evaluation of concrete floors for vibration and vibration control
- Assessment and design of temperature loading
- Design of post-tensioned floors for wind and earthquake forces
- Structural modelling of post-tensioned buildings & design, using ADAPT software system, AutoCad & Revit Structure
- Hands-on software and design training workshop
Course attendees will receive comprehensive course notes and reference material including detailed design examples, as well as a copy of the “must have” book on Post-Tensioned Buildings, Design and Construction by Dr Bijan Aalami, valued at 120 Euros.
- Find out about the latest developments in post-tensioning systems, its construction practice, and economic advantages
- Understand the requirements of EC2, ACI, IBC (International Building Code) building codes, TR43 Report, and their impact on your design
- Learn how to avoid costly errors by using an integrated, BIM-based approach in design from architectural drawings to structural documents
- Become skilled in tendon layout and detailing for good construction practice
- Examine the possibilities of using powerful software tailored for the design of post-tensioned and conventionally reinforced concrete, including modelling and design through ADAPT software and Revit Structure
- Learn to design for restraint of supports in mitigating cracking and crack evaluation
- Acquire the required skill to effectively design floor systems for seismic and wind forces
Who should attend?
- Structural engineers engaged in concrete and/or post-tensioning design
- Contractors interested in the design of post-tensioned structures
- Engineers responsible for the review of post-tensioned designs
- Academics and students having an interest and background in concrete design
- Building officials and city plan checkers
- Engineers charged with retrofit of post-tensioned buildings
- Forensic engineers who deal with post-tensioned structures
- Buro Happold
- WSP Buildings
- Bovis Lend Lease Ltd
- ODIN Consulting Engineers Ltd
- JSA Consulting Engineers
- CTT Stronghold
- Robinson Consulting Ltd
- Finnmap Consulting
- JLE Eng
- Campbell Reith
- Jacobs GIBB Ltd
- Nolan Associates
- Alan Baxter & Associates
- Cameron Taylor Bedford
- Appleby Group Ltd
- Arab Enterprise
- Elliott Wood Partnership
- Bunyan Meyer & Partners Ltd
- Clarke Nicholls & Marcel
- Gyoury Self Partnership
- Freyssinet n
Comments from past participants
"Very good and very relevant."
"Excellent for those new to Post Tensioning Design. Very knowledgeable course presenters. "
"Very good course and very well organised."