Post tensioning design and construction
3 - 5 April 2019
- Duration: 2 or 3 days
- 2 days £795 before 5 March 2019
£895 after 5 March 2019
- 3 days £995 before 5 March 2019
£1095 after 5 March 2019
- Contact us
The course provides the knowhow and tools for the efficient and economical design of post-tensioned building structures, using the latest practice and building code provisions.
Starting with a brief presentation of the expanded and diverse application of post-tensioning in building construction, the course explains the parameters and means of achieving economical solutions in post-tensioning designs. Step by step design procedures are explained through a long-hand numerical example with code reference at each step.
Next, the course provides a thorough review and demonstration of the two prevailing software approaches used to design post-tensioned projects – 2D strip method and 3D Finite Element Method. The pros and cons of each modeling method are discussed and applied to sample single-level and complete building projects. Emerging trends in Building Information Modeling are presented using a recently constructed case study. The underlying reasons and preference in selection of post-tensioned floors in high seismic or wind regions will be explained in detail.
The course will address the vibration evaluation and design of ever more emerging open space floor designs of often thin slabs supported on non-orthogonal supports for aspirational support layouts. Delegates will learn about practical construction detailing considerations such as restraint crack mitigation and practical tendon layout options. Those attending the optional third-day workshop will benefit from hands on training on the latest software tool in design of post-tensioned multi-story or single floors.
This programme will include:
- Current post-tensioning systems and construction practice in buildings and parking structures
- Means of saving and Economic advantages of post-tensioning in building construction
- Basic knowledge required for efficient design of post-tensioned floor systems
- ACI and EC2 codes; interpretation and application to design of post-tensioned buildings
- Critical comments on immediate and long-term deflection of post-tensioned floors
- Steps to follow in long-hand design of post-tensioned floors
- Support restraints to shortening of post-tensioned floors; consequences and mitigation
- Evaluation of concrete floors for vibration and vibration control
- Design of post-tensioned floors for wind and earthquake forces
- Application of 2D strip and 3D Finite Element Method- based software in design of post-tensioned buildings
- Critical case study of design of a prominent post-tensioned multi-story building
- Understanding of trends in Building Information Modeling related to post-tensioning
- Hands-on software and design training workshop
Course attendees will receive comprehensive course notes and reference material including detailed design examples, as well as a copy of the “must have” book on Post-Tensioned Buildings, Design and Construction by Dr Bijan Aalami, valued at 120 Euros.
- Find out about the latest and inspiring applications of post-tensioning systems in building construction systems, its construction practice
- Learn how and where savings can he achieved in design and construction of post-tensioned building
- Understand the complex requirements and application of EC2 and ACI in design of post-tensioned buildings
- Acquire the basic post-tensioning concepts you need to know for your designs; and have the option to go beyond to excel
- Evaluate the vibration acceptability and design of ever more emerging large span, thinner and inspirational designs
- Gain insight into why post-tensioned floors are specifically used in high seismic risk regions and how to design them
- Identify the causes of cracking and learn the engineering methods used in their mitigation
- Recognize and mitigate the potential construction problems in tendon layout at construction
- Attend the workshiop to learn the latest software-based design approach for post-tensioned structures
Who should attend?
- Structural engineers engaged in concrete and/or post-tensioning design
- Engineers wishing to engage in design or construction of post-tensioning
- Contractors interested in the economics,design and constrcution of post-tensioned buildings
- Engineers responsible for the review of post-tensioned designs
- Academics and students interested in post-tensioning concepts and design
- Building officials and city plan checkers
- Engineers charged with retrofit of post-tensioned buildings
- Forensic engineers dealing with evaluation and retrofit of post-tensioned buildings
- Buro Happold
- WSP Buildings
- Bovis Lend Lease Ltd
- ODIN Consulting Engineers Ltd
- JSA Consulting Engineers
- CTT Stronghold
- Robinson Consulting Ltd
- Finnmap Consulting
- JLE Eng
- Campbell Reith
- Jacobs GIBB Ltd
- Nolan Associates
- Alan Baxter & Associates
- Cameron Taylor Bedford
- Appleby Group Ltd
- Arab Enterprise
- Elliott Wood Partnership
- Bunyan Meyer & Partners Ltd
- Clarke Nicholls & Marcel
- Gyoury Self Partnership
- Freyssinet n
Comments from past participants
"Very good and very relevant."
"Excellent for those new to Post Tensioning Design. Very knowledgeable course presenters. "
"Very good course and very well organised."