Geotechnics MSc Student Life
MSc in Soil Mechanics Student Life
Students visiting a deep excavation in Greece, May 2017
MSc students happy to encounter a dam
Taking a break from field observations on a dam site, May 2017
Learning by Observation
MSc students taking measurements of flow in a model dam, Oct 2017
Detailed overviews of the MSc course curricula are given on the MSc webpage ; highlights include:
• Lectures from internationally renowned staff with a variety of expertise and experience. Refer to our research page to find links to staff profiles and to see some of the recent national and international recognition of the academic staff.
• Possibility of financial support through the bursary scheme and other scholarships listed on the MSc webpage.
• Excellent technical and support staff. In 2017 our section administrator Sue Feller recently was awarded a President’s Medals for Excellence in Pastoral Care in recognition of her support to our MSc students. Our team of three technical staff support laboratory teaching and experimental MSc research projects.
• Field trips both within the UK and Greece give students real experience of geology and geotechnical construction.
• Course includes both taught modules and an individual research project supervised by one or two members of the academic staff.
• Our internationally leading facilities for laboratory testing and numerical simulation support student learning in both taught modules and research projects.
• Industrial engagement is facilitated through the bursary group and a spring term seminar series.
• Excellent college level support helps students adjust to life in a large, dynamic, international city.
• Each student is assigned a personal tutor who is a member of the academic staff that supports them during their time at Imperial College.
• Social events help develop a supportive network amongst our very international student cohort; these include welcome drinks, a welcome party, a lab tour and social interaction with the PhD students.
• Proximity to the Institution of Civil Engineers enables students to engage with the British Geotechnical Association.