Guidance for managers
A well-planned and executed induction should:
- make new members of staff feel welcome
- provide an introduction to the College
- give an insight into other people's jobs
- provide essential background information to assist new members of staff with their own work
- clarify job expectations and initial objectives
The Line Manager's role is to ensure induction meets these requirements so that every new member of staff has a strong start in their new role and feels part of their new team as soon as possible.
If delegating elements of induction, Line Managers must ensure the inductor has all the knowledge required to carry out the induction properly.
These Guildelines have been produced to help Line Managers prepare for the induction process prior to the arrival of a new member of staff. Key information has been divided into Advice Notes.
Pre Arrival Planning
- Documentation, training and preparation (Advice Note 1)
- Induction period support - mentoring or buddying (Advice Note 2)
- Identify Dry Roles/Activities (appendix 4 Alcohol and Substance Misuse Policy)
- Welcome activities (Advice Note 3)
- Safety and security (Advice Note 4)
- Computer accounts (Advice Note 5)
A new member of staff's induction to the College is supported by a range of resources:
- New Staff web pages
- New Staff Induction Pack Material
- 'Imperial Insights' induction session offered by the Learning and Development Centre (LDC)
- New Leaders and Managers at Imperial webpages
As an example of a fully integrated induction, please an outline of the programme delivered by the Imperial College Library