Thesis Submission & Vivas
Please see below for detailed information relating to the College's thesis submission and viva examination procedures.
Further information on entering for examination can be found on the Examination Entry Form webpage.
Thesis Submission & Vivas
Candidates must submit their thesis electronically via the Research Degree Milestones tile in My Imperial.
Please refer to the College's Thesis Submission Checklist for further information on thesis submission procedures and requirements:
Candidates must submit their thesis by the given submission deadline displayed in My Imperial, regardless of the status of their examination entry paperwork. Further information on examination entry procedures can be found under the Examination Entry section.
Once you have submitted your thesis, the Registry will ensure that copies are provided to your examiners, in advance of your viva examination.
Your supervisor, or another member of staff in your department/division, will be responsible for organising the viva and making all the necessary arrangements.
When your viva has taken place, you may be informed of the outcome by the examiners. You may be asked to make some minor corrections to your thesis before submitting the final copies and being awarded your degree.
See the Success Guide for more advice.
Final Thesis Submission
Research students registered for an Imperial College degree:
- Your final thesis must be submitted online by uploading to Spiral (the College’s digital repository).
- Please note that your submission will be checked by Research Degrees before being released to the Spiral team in the library, and your thesis will only be made available publicly on expiry of any agreed embargo.
- Bound copies of the thesis and copies on CD are no longer required. You do not need to submit any additional forms at final submission stage, so long as you have already submitted your Thesis Declaration Form.
- CLICK HERE TO UPLOAD AND SUBMIT YOUR FINAL THESIS
Research students registered for a University of London degree should refer to the guidance document under Thesis Submission at the top of this page.
- Hard bound copies of the final thesis are no longer required.
- Students registered for an Imperial College degree must submit the examination copies through eThesis (please refer to the guidance document under Thesis Submission at the top of this page).
- The list of available binders provided here may be useful for students registered for a University of London degree or any student who wishes to have copies of their final thesis hard bound for themselves, their supervisor, etc: List of Binders [pdf]
Award & Certificate
Once you have submitted the final thesis and your examiners have agreed that they are satisfied, the Registry will write to you confirming the award of your degree.
Your degree certificate will be issued after this date.
Embargoes and access to theses by other scholars
A key outcome of a research programme leading to the award of a PhD, EngD, MPhil or MD Res degree is the accessibility of the thesis embodying that research for the benefit of scholars and the public generally. A research candidate might also publish material generated from their research in the form of a paper in a journal.
For more information on thesis storage and embargoes, please see Access to Research Degree Thesis by Other Scholars [pdf] or visit the Scholarly Communications team website.