See below for information on the degree award documentation issued by Imperial College London.
Please contact the Certificates Team (email@example.com) should you have any queries regarding the degree award documentation issued by the College.
Imperial College Degree Certificates
Degree certificates and final transcripts are posted to successful graduates within 3 months of award conferral. These will be posted to preferred degree certificate delivery addresses, provided by students via the College’s Student e-Service portal, by Royal Mail (UK) or DHL (International).
Degree award documentation will not be distributed at the Graduation Ceremonies.
Degree certificates are issued in the student’s full name as registered by the College at the point of award conferral. No change can be made to the name displayed on the final degree certificate following award conferral (unless the name change is related to gender reassignment).
Please note that graduates are only permitted to have one copy of their degree certificate in their possession at any one time, and the College cannot provide electronic copies, PDFs or scanned versions of degree certificates. Under no circumstances will the College issue additional copies or duplicates to any one holding an original certificate.
If you do not receive your degree certificate within three months of award conferral, please refer to the College's replacement certificate procedures.
Please note: If any fees are still unpaid at the time when a student enters for the last examination necessary to qualify for the award of a degree/diploma, the award may not be conferred and no certificate in respect of the award will be issued until the debt has been paid in full
Other College Awards
The Imperial College Registry also issues a number of certificates for other awards of the College, which are awarded concurrently with undergraduate or postgraduate degrees, as follows:
- Associateship of the Royal College of Science (ARCS) – awarded to undergraduates who receive a BSc or MSci degree from a programme within the Royal College of Science, the certificate will normally be sent to your home address within 3 months of the date of the award.
- Associateship of the Royal School of Mines (ARSM) – awarded to undergraduates who receive a BSc, BEng, MSci or MEng degree from a programme within the departments of Earth Science & Engineering and Materials, the certificate will normally be sent to your home address within 3 months of the date of the award.
- Associateship of the Imperial College School of Medicine (AICSM) – awarded to students who receive the MBBS degree, the certificate will normally be sent to your home address within 3 months of the date of the award.
- Associate of the City and Guilds Institute (ACGI) – awarded to undergraduates who receive a BEng or MEng degree from a programme within the following departments: Aeronautics, Bioengineering, Chemical Engineering, Civil & Environmental Engineering, Computing, Electrical & Electronic Engineering and Mechanical Engineering. These certificates are produced by the City and Guilds Institute and queries should be made directly to City & Guilds on +44 (0)20 7294 2800.
The College also awards the Diploma of Imperial College (DIC) to postgraduate students who successfully complete the MSc, MRes, MBA, MEd, MPH, MPhil, EngD, MD(Res) or PhD degree. A seperate certificate is not issued for the DIC but the recipient is entitled to add the DIC after their name as with other awards.
The award date will be displayed on the final degree certificate. The usual award dates are:
- Undergraduate degrees: The date of the award will be 1 August of the year of the final examination. Where the candidate completes the degree after 1 August the date of the award will be the first day of the month following the recommendation of the award of the degree by the Board of Examiners
- Taught postgraduate degrees finishing in September: The date of the award to candidates for degree programmes ending on 30 September will be 1 November
- Taught postgraduate degrees finishing at other times: The date of the award to candidates for other degree programmes will be the first day of the month following the recommendation of the award of the degree by the Board of Examiners. Where the candidate completes the degree after the normal time the date of the award will be the first day of the month following the recommendation of the award of the degree by the Board of Examiners
- Postgraduate research degrees: First day of the month following that in which the successful version of the thesis has been lodged with the College
Certified Copies of Degree Certificates
The Imperial College Registry can authenticate photocopies of the degree certificate, confirming that the photocopy is a true copy of the original document. As part of this process, we will require the original degree certificate.
Please note that Registry officials are not of the same standing as a notary public or solicitor, and you are therefore advised to check with the organisation requesting this document whether or not it would be acceptable for us to provide you with the certified copy.
Should you require this service, please contact the Certificates Team at firstname.lastname@example.org for further information and guidance.