This programme raises aspirations for higher education by providing students with positive role models for STEM subjects.
Please be aware that due to COVID-19, all our programmes and summer schools 2021 are currently running through our dedicated online platforms. Our first priority remains the safety and well-being of our staff, students and programme participants.
We apologise for any inconvenience this may cause and will continue to do the best we can to safely support all of our programme participants.
Please join our mailing list or check back here for updates.
About Pimlico Connection
This peer-tutoring scheme has been running at Imperial since 1975 and sees students volunteer as tutors in local schools for approximately 17 weeks (November to March). The scheme aims to inspire students in STEM subjects, raising aspirations by providing students with positive role models for STEM subjects and higher education.
Since 2020 the programme has run online and in 2021-2022 tutoring will continue online with an option for a small number of in person visits by tutors where this is possible.
How to apply for tutors
Applications are OPEN NOW for state secondary schools and sixth forms who would like Imperial tutors to work with their students online each week from November to March. Tutoring is free for schools. Please read theinformation below before completing our online application form.
The deadline for applications midnight on Sunday 26 September 2021. We aim to inform schools about their tutor allocation by Monday 11 October.
We may not be able to allocate tutors to all schools that apply and we will look at school location and data on deprivation, educational disadvantage and university participation to assess which schools to prioritise for tutors.
More about how the programme will run in 2021-2022 (please read before you apply)
- Tutors can work with students in Y9-13 (all must be aged 13 or older)
- Up to five tutors can be placed in each school
- Tutors can work with a groups of up to 4 students
- Tutors work with students for one hour per week between November and March (with a break over school holidays, Christmas and for exams in January)
- Tutoring will take place online but students can be in school or at home for the sessions.
- Sessions can take place on a Wednesday afternoon /evening (from 13.00) or Tuesday 17.00-18.00.
- Sessions will take place via Microsoft Teams (students will be allocated an Imperial Outreach Teams account) and will be moderated by Outreach staff.
- Students are selected by teachers, but students will need to share information with Imperial for enrolment purposes.
- Students work with the same tutor for the whole programme. If students drop out a replacement can be made.
- Schools can select to have tutors visit for an in-person session at the start and end of the programme (dependent on Covid guidelines, tutor availability and school location - only schools close to London will be offered an in person visit but schools from all regions can apply for the online tutoring)
Questions? Please email Pimlico Connection.