Recruitment and outreach student ambassadors
Our enthusiastic and committed team of Student Ambassadors play an important role in inspiring the next generation of scientists, engineers and doctors, both at home and overseas.
Our Student Ambassador Scheme offers you the chance to represent Imperial across a variety of different events and activities.
You will work alongside a wide range of people, including children and young people, prospective students from a range of countries and backgrounds, teachers, parents, and staff and fellow students from across the College. You can choose which activities you are best suited to and you'll be paid for those that you choose to do.
Typical opportunities for our ambassadors include:
Working with school students to share your passion for your subject
- supporting hands-on activities for students aged 6–18 to capture their interest in studying science, medicine and engineering in the Wohl Reach Out Lab at South Kensington
- inspiring the next generation of innovators in the Dangoor Reach Out Makerspace in White City by supporting our Maker Challenge programmes
- supporting young people from disadvantaged backgrounds on our regular STEM Outreach programmes and summer schools
Representing the College at events
- giving talks in local schools/colleges about your university experience (currently suspended due to the pandemic)
- working at our annual Undergraduate Open Days (currently suspended due to the pandemic)
- taking part in on-campus events for local schools/college students/prospective postgraduate students (currently suspended due to the pandemic)
- leading tours of campus (currently suspended due to the pandemic)
- taking part in online recruitment events, answering questions through chat or video
- representing Imperial at a range of higher education recruitment events such as UCAS fairs (currently suspended due to the pandemic)
- mentoring students online
- tutoring STEM subjects online (in person tutoring currently suspended due to pandemic)
Assisting with marketing activities
- social media activities e.g. takeovers
- responding to student enquiries via our online messaging service, Unibuddy
This is an opportunity to inspire the next generation of scientists, engineers and doctors, while meeting staff and students from across the College.
It is also a chance to develop your skills in:
- communication, in particular speaking and presenting
- planning and organising
Rates of pay
Our rate of pay starts at £11.86/hour (including holiday pay).
We only pay you for the activities you do. Some activities may require an ongoing commitment, for example, being a Unibuddy representative or blogger.
All of our Student Ambassadors receive training which covers some of the essential skills you will need.
You may also be invited to additional training sessions to cover any special activities that you have put yourself forward for, such as blogging or being a Unibuddy rep.
We pay you for any training sessions you attend.
How to apply
Applications from all Imperial undergraduate and postgraduate students are very welcome, but we would be especially interested in applications from students who meet the following criteria:
- You are studying a postgraduate course; or
- You are studying an undergraduate degree in the Departments of Computing or Mathematics; or
- You are a student who comes from Africa, the Americas or the Middle East
To apply for the role of Student Ambassador, you will first need to attend an information session. Only those who have attended an information session will be invited for an interview.
The next recruitment round will open in early 2021. Please check back here for details.
Once you are signed up, you will receive regular email notification about activities for which we need ambassadors.
If you have any questions about the scheme, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.