Science at Heart School Team Prize
The British Heart Foundation’s Centre of Research Excellence at Imperial College London is offering School Team Prizes to engage future scientific leaders with cardiovascular health and research. We are inviting sixth form students to form school teams that compete for a financial prize.
Your team’s challenge is to design an ePoster which illustrates a strategy for combining hard sciences with biomedicine to reduce the number of deaths and disabilities caused by heart and circulatory disease. We encourage students to consider:
- Heart and circulatory disease is a leading cause of death and chronic ill health around the world
- Scientific progress comes from a multi-disciplinary approach, bringing different specialities together to challenge thinking (medicine, biology and hard sciences such as physics, chemistry, computers, mathematics, engineering)
- The development and implementation of advances need skills not just in science, but in design and communication
- The judges will be looking for innovative ideas, a striking ePoster design and original illustrations
- Pitch the e-Poster to communicate to non-experts, for example fellow sixth form students
- A team should have no more than six members
- Teams should ideally be composed of members with complementary skills, for example with strengths in biology, mathematics, computing, design and communication
- Each educational organisation can only submit one team, and so may wish to hold an internal selection
All submissions will undergo an initial round of short-listing. The top ten teams will be invited to present their ePosters to a multi-disciplinary audience either in person or online, depending on COVID-19.
First, second and third prizes of £3000, £2000 and £1000 will be awarded to schools for supporting science-related activities. The top five teams will be invited to present their ePosters at the Imperial Festival in 2022. There will be opportunities for finalists to have mentoring meetings with Imperial Staff. Selected ePosters will feature on the Imperial College website. Selected teams will have an opportunity to write for the BHF’s science blog.
To submit, please complete the form below. The file should be suitable for a hard copy print out 94cm (height) x 180 cm (width).
Deadline: midday 30th June 2021
Successful applicants will be notified in late July/early August.
For queries, please email email@example.com