In addition to its undergraduate and postgraduate degree courses, the Centre for Continuing Professional Development presents a diverse range of cutting edge courses for professionals working in science, technology and medicine.
Every year over 50 programmes are presented, given by leading authorities both from within and outside the College, provide the most up-to-date developments in specific areas of interest. The portfolio is regularly enriched by the introduction of new courses. Most courses are of 3 to 5 days long and others are designed on a modular basis, extending over several months. The majority of courses are taught at the South Kensington campus and are open to all on a fee paying basis. Modules from several Masters Programmes are made available as CPD short courses as an initiative to provide flexible education for full-time working professionals. Customised corporate courses can be arranged on request.
The Centre provides a complete range of services for internal academics. These include marketing, financial administration, management and the development of short courses, conferences and seminars in collaboration with departments, business and industry.
We strive to develop and manage a whole range of activities to a high professional standard by using the considerable experience and expertise that has evolved since its inception.
If you are a member of Imperial College or ICHNT staff who requires further information on how the Centre can help you set up a course then click here.
The CPD team acts in a diverse range of ways with departments, groups, individuals, alumni and externals to develop and market CPD activities.
The benefit of these is that they can generate income for individuals, research groups or departments as well as widening the range of contacts made with external people and organisations, thus raising the profile of individuals and departments within their industry sector. The Centre assumes a flexible and wide range of responsibilities and provides the following list of services to support the setting up of short courses.
- Course initiation and development including initial market analysis and research
- Advice on programme structure design
- Provide guidance for quality assurance
- Logistic planning and course administration
- Contracts administration
- Provide a dedicated Programme Administrator for the course
- Design and produce course publicity/marketing materials, e.g. flyers, brochures etc.
- Organise and advice on course marketing, e.g. mail shots, advertising, web announcements etc.
- Create course publicity website via cpd homepage
- Apply for course accreditation through professional associations and royal colleges where applicable
- Implement a basic Blackboard Virtual Learning Environment if required
- Create and setup Blackboard accounts for e-learning and blended learning courses
- Create and administer an online registration system specific for the course
- Register and liaise with all course delegates
- Liaise with course presenters both internal and external
- Collate and organise printing of course supporting materials or conference proceedings
- Organise all logistic arrangements, e.g. catering (receptions & dinners), room bookings, temporary staff support, field trips and evening entertainment events etc
- Produce course budget and administer all course finances
- Process all financial transactions, e.g. credit cards, cheques, invoices, expenses etc.
- Organise reimbursements and payments to presenters
- Conduct course evaluation and provide feedback report
- Provide Imperial College London Certificate of Attendance
- Client relations management
We can also arrange for Customised Corporate Courses to be presented as well as running them at Imperial College.
If you would like any advice or support please do not hesitate to contact Betty Yue by email.
Customised courses are offered to cater to your organisational or professional needs. Course lengths can be shortened or extended to suit your availability, and additional components or themes can be incorporated into a course to meet your organisation requirements. Additionally, we are able to provide our courses at your organisation's location if preferred.
What are the benefits to customised onsite training?
- Dedicated instructor for onsite delivery
- Stable training environment
- Course content can be tailored to customer's needs
- Travel expenses of sending personnel to regional public classes can be avoided
- Provides more flexibility for course scheduling and desired course content
Examples of our customised onsite courses include:
- Using Special Core Analysis for Reservoir Engineering
- Mining for Bankers
- Introduction to Mining
- Valuation of Mineral Projects
- High Frequency CMOS and Bipolar Analog Integrated Circuit Design
- Low Noise Low Power Analog Integrated Circuit Design
- CMOS/BiCMOS Analog Integrated Circuit Design
- Creating Healthy Local Active Kids
Examples of customised courses delivered at Imperial Campus:
- Excellence in University Management and Administration
- Research Skills Workshop
Companies which have used our customised service include:
- Shell International E&P B.V., Netherlands
- Hess, UK
- Statoil, UK
- Goldman Sach
- Societe Generale
- National Physical Laboratory, UK
- Rio Tinto, UK
- European Bank for Reconstruction & Development, UK
- Anglo-American, UK
- Nokia Communications, UK
- Hitachi Ltd, UK
- Shell Aberdeen, UK
- Saudi Aramco, Saudi Arabia
- AWE, UK
- NHS Lambeth
- National Academy for Education Administrators, Ministry of Education, PR China
- People's Hospital Beijing, PR China
If you are interested in a customised course for your company, please call +44(0)207 594 6880.