Laryngectomy: rehabilitation and surgical voice restoration (Advanced Level)
5 - 9 March 2018
The focus of this five day course will be on swallowing and communication rehabilitation.
Course participants will be exposed to the advanced skills required to assess, diagnose, treat, manage and support patients who have undergone laryngectomy +/- extensive surgical reconstruction, due to cancer of the larynx and related sites and who need to achieve optimal outcomes.
This module will enable the course participants to:
- Develop their knowledge of cancer of the pharynx, larynx and post cricoid region; including presentation, assessment, diagnosis and treatment options.
- Develop the knowledge and advanced clinical skills to optimise swallowing and voice rehabilitation, with particular reference to Surgical Voice Restoration.
- Diagnose and manage post-operative complications including ones related to the stoma, tracheo-stomal puncture, prosthesis and reconstructed/vibratory segment.
- Learn to perform and interpret videofluroscopy evaluation of swallow and voice function after laryngectomy.
- Learn to assess vibratory segment tonicity including how to perform air insufflation assessment with and without videofluoroscopic guidance.
- Understand methods to modify tonicity including the use of chemical neurectomy using Botox.
Who should attend?
This course is taught at Masters' Level and requires that participants have a solid working knowledge in the field of laryngectomy and surgical voice restoration to be able to follow and benefit from the information being taught. It is recommended that delegates have previously attended some form of basic training e.g. a one day hands-on Macmillan Basic Level course.
As a guideline, it is suggested that candidates should ideally have practised in the field of Head and Neck Oncology for a minimum of 3 years, however it is recognised that some therapists working in larger Head and Neck units alongside more experienced colleagues may have gained the equivalent experience in a shorter period of time.
Successful completion of the innovative and awarding winning E-Learning module “Understanding Laryngectomy Surgery to Optimise Swallow and Voice Outcomes” is included as a compulsory pre-requisite.
Comments from past participants
"This course beats any other course I have been on to date in terms of tailoring to direct learning, relevance to clinical application and practical hints and tips...hands down!"
"The overall content of the course was excellent and well exceeded my expectations. The best thing about it was that as well as evidence base being given at each point, it was also full of practical ideas and was a real ‘How to...’ guide – exactly what I needed at this point in my SLT career."
"Absolutely fabulous learning and consolidation opportunity for any clinician with experience working with SVR. There is nothing else that I am aware of available in the world that covers SVR in its entirety like this and I can’t recommend it enough! Absolutely – worth every airfare cent!"