Software Developer MED01518
Department of Computing, Data Science Institute
Technical Level 3b Software Developer
Fixed Term appointment for 12 months
Closing date: 20 November 2019
Salary range £38,006-£50,427
We have an exciting opportunity for a Software developer to work on a joint initiative at Imperial College between the Data Science Institute (DSI) https://www.imperial.ac.uk/data-science, the Imperial NIHR Brain Sciences Theme - Division of Brain Sciences and the Institute for Translational Medicine and Therapeutics (ITMAT) Data Science Group https://www.imperial.ac.uk/itmat-data-science-group to develop a “Big Data” translational platform for curation, quality control, hosting and processing of complex imaging and relational data in the context of Healthcare research.
The translational platform is envisioned as a tool developed particularly to enable non-data science specialists to visualize and interrogate such large, complex datasets. The translational platform will lay the foundation for the development of transformative tools for high-quality, reproducible data-analytics-driven clinical research for discovery of modifiable risk factors, evidence for personalized approaches to treatment and monitoring medicine and new early markers of disease. The initial focus will be on diseases of the brain, particularly including late-life dementias.
The post is supported by the NIHR Imperial Biomedical Research Centre Brain Sciences Theme (http://imperialbrc.nihr.ac.uk/research/brain-sciences ) and the NIHR Imperial BRC Institute for Translational Medicine and Therapeutics (ITMAT) (http://imperialbrc.nihr.ac.uk/facilities/institute-of-translational-medicine-therapeutics), both of which are committed to accelerate the translation of pre-clinical research into knowledge to guide more healthy living and improved diagnostics and treatments for disease.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Contributing to the development and implementation of the platform.
- Consulting and collaborating with expert partners to develop highest quality or innovative approaches to data processing.
- Working closely with partner to understand their requirements for the medical translational informatics infrastructure and the analysis pipelines best suited to research questions in this area (i.e. oncology, neurology, pathology…).
- Providing training/support to technical and non-technical end-users in clinical settings wishing to exploit the complex datasets and analytical methods made available through your coding.
- To undertake any necessary training viewed as required for compliance or satisfactory progression of the project by the line manager.
- Any other duties commensurate with the grade of the post as directed by the line manager / supervisor.
- Ensure accurate completion of documentation, records and reports
- Contribute as a code developer to Open Source Projects maintained by the Data Science Institute.
- To participate in Group research meetings and internal seminars
- To collaborate with other allied scientists within Imperial College and elsewhere in London and abroad, as appropriate.
- A good first degree (or equivalent) in a related area, with a particular interest on medical image computing and machine learning.
- Experience in using development/versioning tooling (VSCode, NPM, GitHub, etc.)
- Experience with UNIX systems
- Experience with orchestration technologies (Docker, Kubernetes)
- Good understanding of CI/CD procedure and tools
- Experience with NoSQL data base (MongoDB, Cassandra) would be a plus
For queries regarding the application process contact Fay Miller at: email@example.com
How to apply:
Our preferred method of application is online via: www.imperial.ac.uk/jobs and search for MED01518
• A college application form
• A full CV
• A 1-page statement indicating what you see as interesting research issues relating to the above post and why your expertise is relevant.
Closing date: 20th November 2019