BEng Computing regulations
First Year Regulations
There are eight core modules, each with their own coursework and written examination: Introduction to Computer Systems, Introduction to Computer Architecture, Logic, Reasoning about Programs, Mathematics I, Discrete Structures, Graphs and Algorithms, Introduction to Databases.
Lecture modules have associated coursework, contributing 15% of the marks. There is also an integrated module of coursework in all three terms: Computing Practical 1. It includes Programming and Professional Issues.
Programming is assessed by on-line tests and project work.
There is also a research aspect, which runs in the first and second terms. This is assessed by reports and presentations.
|Component||ECTS / CATS|
| Eight core modules
||40 / 80 (each module contributes 5 / 10)|
| Computing Practical 1
||20 / 40|
|Total|| 60 / 120
|Component||Share of submodule||Share of module|
|= 100%||= 30%|
|= 100%||= 42%|
|= 100%||= 18%|
|= 100%||= 10%|
In order to pass the Part I examination (First Year of studies) and qualify to progress to the Second Year, the candidate must achieve:
- A minimum of 40% for each of the eight core modules;
- A minimum of 50% for Computing Practical 1;
- A minimum of 40% overall.
Supplementary Qualifying Tests
At the discretion of the Examiners, Supplementary Qualifying Tests may be offered to a student who marginally fails to achieve the above requirements.
Second Year Regulations
|COMP50001||Algorithm Design and Analysis||1||5|
|COMP50002||Software Engineering Design||1||5|
|COMP50003||Models of Computation||1||5|
|COMP50005||Networks and Communications||2||5|
|COMP50007||Computing Practical 2||1 - 2||15|
|COMP50008||Mathematics 2: Probability and Statistics||2||5|
|COMP50010||2nd Year Computing Group Project||3||5|
|There are nine core modules in Year 2|
|COMP50011||Introduction to Model-Based Artificial Intelligence||2||5|
|There are two optional modules in Year 2 and students must select one of these|
Lecture modules have associated coursework, contributing 15% of the marks for the module. The remaining 85% of the module mark is assessed by written examination.
Computing Practical 2 has an integrated programme of laboratory exercises that runs throughout the first two terms and there is a separate summer term group project.
Each module contributes its relative ECTS weight towards the year total.
In total there are 60 ECTS in Year 2 - 55 ECTS from core modules and 5 ECTS from one optional module.
COMP50007 Computing Practical 2 Breakdown
|COMP50007.1 Laboratory 2
|Pintos - Task 0 (Codebase Preview)||7%|
|Pintos - Task 1 (Scheduling)||14%|
|Pintos - Task 2 (User Programs)||21%|
|DevOps - Continuous Delivery||5%|
|WACC - Front-End||25%|
|WACC - Back-End||25%|
|COMP50007.2 Introduction to Prolog||6%|
|COMP50007.3 Advanced Laboratory 2||33%|
|Pintos - Task 3 (Virtual Memory)||50%|
|WACC - Extensions||23%|
COMP50010 2nd Year Computing Group Project Breakdown
|COMP50010.1 Designing for Real People||90%|
|WebApps Milestones x 4||32% ( 5% / 11% / 11% / 5% )|
|COMP50010.2 An Introduction to Law for Computer Scientists||10%|
|Law Case Study||100%|
In order to pass the second year and qualify to progress to the third year, the candidate must achieve:
1. A minimum of 40% for each examinable module.
2. A minimum of 40% in the Laboratory component.
3. A minimum of 40% overall.
In order to progress to the third year of the MEng program, students must achieve an overall (second year) aggregate mark of at least 60%. Students who fail to achieve this will normally be required to transfer to the third year of the BEng program
Supplementary Qualifying Tests
At the discretion of the Examiners, Supplementary Qualifying Tests may be offered to a candidate who marginally fails to achieve the above requirements.