Internal funding opportunities
For enquiries related to the opportunities below, please email firstname.lastname@example.org unless a specific named contact is given. All opportunities are managed by the Research Office unless stated otherwise.
Global Challenges Research Fund Calls
EPSRC Funding - Closed
- EPSRC Global Challenges Research Fund - supporting research and pump-priming activites in association with ODA countries.
- Knowledge Exchange Scheme - supporting knowledge exchange and translation activities of EPSRC funded research for the benefit of ODA countries.
- Research Council supported Impact Acceleration Accounts - Supporting the development of research towards economic and societal impact.
- Confidence in Concept (managed by Faculty of Medicine) - Support to fast track more promising research ideas towards clinical testing (open to all Faculties).
- Apollo Therapeutics fund (managed by the Apollo-Imperial Management Group) - Support for Imperial College or associate NHS trust staff who wish to progress early stage therapeutic innovations through discovery and into pre-clinical development.
- HEIF Proof of Concept - Funding is available to support proof of concept projects that aim to further develop the commercial position of an invention or technology.
Research and Collaborative Activities
- Excellence Fund for Frontier Research - Supporting research ideas which are potential breakthrough programs that have the potential to put Imperial in a leadership position, even if the ideas have not yet received outside funding.
- Francis Crick Attachments (managed by Academic Partnerships, College login required) - OPEN for 2017 The programme of attachments at The Frances Crick Institute offers Imperial staff the opportunity to collaborate with other world-leading biomedical scientists and researchers in related fields.
- Strategic Support Fund (managed by Faculty of Medicine) - Supporting novel interdisciplinary biomedical research in the Wellcome Trustremit.
- European Partners Fund - OPEN. Support is available for Imperial academics to initiate and pursue collaborations with European colleagues and ideally to lead to new science and to future applications for external funding, for example H2020. Please refer to the European Partners call document (pdf) for further details of this opportunity and complete the European Partners Fund application form (Word).
- Global Engagements (PDF) - Support is available for collaborative international activities that enable the cross-border pooling of research capabilities - CLOSED. Results from previous rounds are now available.
- FAPESP-Imperial Research Engagement (SPRINT) scheme - OPEN. Imperial and FAPESP, the research funding agency in the State of São Paulo, have opened the next call for proposals under the FAPESP-Imperial Research Engagement Scheme. Please refer to the FAPESP-Imperial Research Engagement scheme call guidance (PDF) for details on the application process and download the FAPESP-Imperial Research Engagement scheme application form (word) here. Brazilian collaborators will need to respect the FAPESP call details. For queries about the Brazilian context and partners, contact the International Relations Office (email@example.com). For queries about the application process, contact Dr Suzanne Rolfe, Research Office (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- MIT-Seed Fund (PDF) – OPEN The MIT-Imperial Seed Fund aims to kick-start early-stage, risky and ‘blue skies’ research ideas that might not otherwise be pursued. The Fund will support early-stage collaboration among academics, researchers and students at MIT and Imperial by facilitating exchange between participating research groups through provision of grants to cover travel, workshops, meetings, hackathons, networks and other activities to explore research directions. Deadline for applications is 18 September 2017 (23.59 Boston, USA time). For queries, contact email@example.com firstname.lastname@example.org.
- President's PhD Scholarship Scheme (College login required) - Information for supervisors, HoDs and Faculties - OPEN for 2017 entry
- Imperial College Research Fellowships - Applications for Imperial College Research Fellowships - CLOSED for 2017 entry
- EPSRC Doctoral Prize fellowship - OPEN. Applications are invited for EPSRC Doctoral Prize Fellowships. Candidates should refer to the EPSRC Doctoral Prize fellow guideance (PDF) for details and download the EPSRC Doctoral Prize fellow application form (Word). Departments should use the Departmental shortlisting form (Word).
- Science and Solutions for a Changing Planet - The NERC DTP, managed by the Grantham Institute, has four fully-funded PhD studentships available. Contact Sophie Smith for more information.
FoNS Strategy Research Funding (available for FoNS researchers only)
The Faculty of Natural Sciences wish to support new multidisciplinary and industrial collaborations to stimulate new research directions and to enhance its research impact. Therefore, the FoNS Strategy Research Fund will be used to allocate resources to foster new interdisciplinary partnerships within College and to engage more effectively with external SME partners. Support is provided via four initiatives; (1) Collaborative Initiatives Kick-start funding, (2) SME Engagement Funding, (3) Networking/workshop activities fundingand (4) Travel grants. More information can be found here. any queries should be directed to your Strategy Research Manager.
Grantham Affiliates Funding Opportunities
In order to promote new ideas and collaborations in priority areas for engagement and research, the Grantham Institute is periodically offering a number of funding opportunities to Grantham Affiliates. These opportunities will be announced here, as well as through Grantham’s Affiliates' newsletter. Please contact Laila Read (email@example.com) if you would like more information on any of these opportunities, or Alyssa Gilbert (firstname.lastname@example.org) to discuss a specific proposal.
Faculty of Medicine has launched the new Faculty Fellowships opportunity, to provide flexible funding for up to 18 months for non-clinical, early career researchers who have not yet submitted a Fellowship application but for who an award is in the pipeline because of the quality of the applicant, supervisor and project. These fellowships are open to researchers across all Faculties. Postdoctoral researchers from disciplines outside of biomedicine can apply for funding, provided the proposed area of research is within Wellcome Trust’s remit. More information, including application closing dates and internal departmental deadlines, can be found on the ISSF webpage. For further information please contact Dr Susie Gray (ISSF@imperial.ac.uk).