Internal funding opportunities
EPSRC Capital Award Emphasising Support for Early Career Researchers
The College has now launched an internal competition to allocate this institutional grant. Funding is available to provide capital equipment to support high quality and ambitious research. Applicants must be early career academics who are lecturers at the time of application. Candidates are invited to apply for between £25k and £100k per application. Costs for operating and maintaining equipment are not eligible, therefore the support of the Head of Department is essential.
Applications must be submitted to email@example.com by noon Wednesday 19 September 2018 . The Principal Applicant is expected to have obtained their Head of Department’s agreement to support and host (including provide space) the proposed capital. The Head of Department and the Departmental Operations Manager or equivalent must be copied into the submission. We will take this as confirmation that the Department is aware and willing the support of the bid and host the equipment.
Each application should have a Principal Applicant and contain:
- A written case for support of up to two pages to include:
- An InfoEd statement approved by your Department.
- The relevant cost centre.
For further infomation please see the guidance document
Global Challenges Research Fund Calls
Research England Internal GCRF Funding
Research England GCRF Funding - OPEN, Closing dates 27 September and 22 November
Research Council supported Impact Acceleration Accounts - Supporting the development of research towards economic and societal impact.
Confidence in Concept (managed by Faculty of Medicine) - Support to fast track more promising research ideas towards clinical testing (open to all Faculties).
Apollo Therapeutics fund (managed by the Apollo-Imperial Management Group) - Support for Imperial College or associate NHS trust staff who wish to progress early stage therapeutic innovations through discovery and into pre-clinical development.
Imperial College London and Imperial Innovations Joint Fund - Funding is available to support proof of concept projects that aim to further develop the commercial position of an invention or technology.
Research and Collaborative Activities
Excellence Fund for Frontier Research - CLOSED to applications. Supporting research ideas which are potential breakthrough programs that have the potential to put Imperial in a leadership position, even if the ideas have not yet received outside funding.
- The Francis Crick Institute (managed by Academic Partnerships, College login required) - CLOSED
- The programme of Attachments offers Imperial staff the opportunity for their research group to be seconded to the Crick, to establish a satellite group in a Crick lab or to spend up to a year with the Crick on sabbatical. The deadline for applications is 6 April 2018.
- The new Networking Fund has been set up to support staff to develop connections across disciplinary boundaries with researchers at the Crick. The fund holds £40k and will support networking activities of typically between £2-5k. The next deadline of the rolling call for applications is Friday 25 May 2018.
Strategic Support Fund (managed by Faculty of Medicine) - Supporting novel interdisciplinary biomedical research in the Wellcome Trustremit.
European Partners Fund - OPEN. Support is available for Imperial academics to initiate and pursue collaborations with European colleagues and ideally to lead to new science and to future applications for external funding, for example H2020. Please refer to the European Partners call document (pdf) for further details of this opportunity and complete the European Partners Fund application form (Word).
Global Engagements (PDF) - Support is available for collaborative international activities that enable the cross-border pooling of research capabilities - CLOSED. Results from previous rounds are now available.
FAPESP-Imperial Research Engagement (SPRINT) scheme - CLOSED. Imperial and FAPESP, the research funding agency in the State of São Paulo, have opened the next call for proposals under the FAPESP-Imperial Research Engagement Scheme. Please refer to the FAPESP-Imperial Research Engagement scheme call guidance (PDF) for details on the application process and download the FAPESP-Imperial Research Engagement scheme application form (word) here. Brazilian collaborators will need to respect the FAPESP call details. For queries about the Brazilian context and partners, contact the International Relations Office (firstname.lastname@example.org). For queries about the application process, contact Dr Suzanne Rolfe, Research Office (email@example.com)
MIT-Imperial Seed Fund – OPEN The MIT-Imperial College London Seed Fund call for 2018 will have a regional focus on Africa, and will promote early-stage collaboration between faculty and researchers at MIT, Imperial College London and institutions in Africa. The Fund aims to help kick-start early-stage, risky and ‘blue skies’ research ideas that might not otherwise be pursued. The Fund will support early-stage collaboration among academics, researchers and students by facilitating exchange between participating research groups through provision of grants to cover travel, workshops, meetings, hackathons, networks and other activities to explore research directions. Deadline for applications is 17 September 2018 (23.59 Boston, USA time). Further detail can be found here, or by contacting firstname.lastname@example.org
President's PhD Scholarship Scheme (College login required) - Information for supervisors, HoDs and Faculties - CLOSED for 2018 entry. 2019 entry will open Autumn 2018.
- ISSF Faculty Fellowsihps - Faculty Fellowships provide a flexible funding opportunity for non-clinical, early career researchers for a period of up to 18 months. The fellowship is intended for those who have not yet submitted a Fellowship application but are in the process of doing so. They will be exceptional candidates for external funding, demonstrated by the quality of the applicant, supervisor and project. These fellowships are funded by the Wellcome Institute Strategic Support Fund: they are open to researchers across all Faculties provided the proposed area of research is within the remit of Wellcome. More information, including closing dates and internal departmental deadlines, can be found on the ISSF webpage. For further information please contact Dr Kimberley Trim (email@example.com). OPEN for applications.
- Imperial College Research Fellowships - Applications for Imperial College Research Fellowships - CLOSED for 2019 entry.
EPSRC Doctoral Prize fellowship - CLOSED. Applications are invited for EPSRC Doctoral Prize Fellowships. Candidates should refer to the EPSRC Doctoral Prize Fellowships Guidance (PDF) for details and download the EPSRC Doctoral Prize fellow application form (Word). Departments should use the Departmental shortlisting form (Word)
- Science and Solutions for a Changing Planet - The NERC DTP, managed by the Grantham Institute, has four fully-funded PhD studentships available. Contact Sophie Smith for more information.
MRC Skills Development Fellowships – OPEN. MRC Skills Development Fellowships are personal three-year capacity building training awards for talented researchers to support key transition points in their careers, specifically to support individuals gaining expertise in quantitative skills applied to biomedical research questions, and MRC skill priority areas. For more information, including the Guidance document, potential supervisors and details on how to apply, please visit this page. Any queries should be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org
FoNS Strategy Research Funding (available for FoNS researchers only)
The Faculty of Natural Sciences wish to support new multidisciplinary and industrial collaborations to stimulate new research directions and to enhance its research impact. Therefore, the FoNS Strategy Research Fund will be used to allocate resources to foster new interdisciplinary partnerships within College and to engage more effectively with external SME partners. Support is provided via four initiatives; (1) Collaborative Initiatives Kick-start funding, (2) SME Engagement Funding, (3) Networking/workshop activities fundingand (4) Travel grants. More information can be found here.
Any queries should be directed to your Strategy Research Manager.
Grantham Affiliates Funding Opportunities
In order to promote new ideas and collaborations in priority areas for engagement and research, the Grantham Institute is periodically offering a number of funding opportunities to Grantham Affiliates. These opportunities will be announced here, as well as through Grantham’s Affiliates' newsletter.
Data Science Institute Seed Fund: Machine Learning
The Data Science Institute (DSI) was established in 2014 as the College’s 5th cross-Faculty Institute. The DSI provides a focal point for multidisciplinary data-driven research, supplying technology support for partners, and educating the next generation of data scientists.
This year, the Data Science Institute has established a seed fund to be used for pilot projects in data science. The aim of the fund is to enable DSI Fellows to obtain preliminary results and data which can then be used in applications for further research funding from charities, RCUK or government bodies.
The DSI would like to welcome applications to this opportunity.
Queries related to research field should be directed to Marc Deisenroth email@example.com
Queries regarding funding and application submission should be directed to Alice Ashley-Smith firstname.lastname@example.org