- Effects of tunnelling on existing tunnels: On Wed April 25th there will be a seminar on the Effects of tunnelling on existing tunnels. This half-day seminar is free of charge, however participants should register with Ms. Sue Feller.
- Celebrating 50 Years of Modified Cam Clay: In March 2018 staff and students celebrated the 50th anniversary of the publication of the Modified Cam Clay Model with Prof. John Burland.
- Landslide Talk: Prof. Paul Santi from the Colorado School of Mines will give a talk on Friday 16th March, on "the Mechanics and Analysis of the Deadly West Salt Creek Landslide, Colorado” at 12 noon, in Room 207, Skempton Building.
- International award for geotechnical engineering teaching: The Soil Mechanics MSc Cluster Director, Dr. Stavroula Kontoe has been awarded the international 2017 Shamsher Prakash award for excellence in teaching of geotechnical engineering.
- MSc Graduate Wins the Cooling Prize: On Feb 28 2018, Joe Newhouse, who completed a MSc in soil mechanics and who now works at Mott MacDonald, was awarded 49th Cooling Prize by the British Geotechnical Association for his paper “Ground movement due to shaft construction” which is based on his MSc dissertation.
- Unwin Prize Award for Geotechnics PhD Graduate: Dr. Klementyna Gawecka has been jointly awarded the Unwin Prize for best PhD student by the Department of Civil Engineering. Dr. Gawecka, who finished her PhD in 2017, is currently working as a teaching fellow in the Geotechnics Section.
- Canadian Geotechnical Journal Editor's Choice recognition: A paper co-authored by Prof. Richard Jardine has been selected as one of the “Editor’s Choice” papers for 2018 by the Canadian Geotechnical Journal in recognition of its high caliber and topical importance. The paper authored by Cai et al. (2018) is entitled "Undrained behaviour of intact soft clay under cyclic paths that match vehicle loading conditions". doi:10.1139/cgj-2016-0636 (Spiral http://hdl.handle.net/10044/1/45598).
- Centenary Enterprise Award: We are delighted to hear that two PhD students from the section, Giulia Ghiadistri and Eli Sailer were awarded the City and Guilds College Association Centenary Enterprise Award in Feb 2017. This award recognizes the work Giulia and Eli did to organize the 2017 PhD Alumni reunion for PhD graduates from the section.
- Evening Talk: On Tuesday April 17 2018 Dr. Laurie Wesley will give a talk about Prof. Bishop, a former professor in the geotechnics scetion. The talk will take place at 6 pm in room 201 Skempton. Full details: Talk on Prof. Bishop
- 2018 Pre-Rankine Seminar: Prior to the BGA Rankine lecture on March 21, the Geotechnics Section will co-host, with the BGA, a seminar on "Linking fabric, structure and soil behaviour: Recent advancements". Details are given on the seminar programme.
- MSc Graduate Named New Face of Civil Engineering: Neeraj Kumar Sharma who graduaded with a MSc in Soil Mechanics and Environmental Geotechnics in 2014 has been named a 2018 ASCE New Face of Civil Engineering.
- 2017 Fleming award: We are delighted to announce that the PISA project was the winner of the 2017 BGA Fleming Award competition held on 6th December 2017 at the ICE. The PISA project team includes staff and researchers from the Imperial Geotechnics Section.
- 2018-2019 MSc Class: We are enjoying interacting with our current cohort of MSc students. The 2017-2018 class comprises just over 40 students from 21 countries! We are still accepting applications for the 2018-2019 academic year.
- 2016 Geotechnical Research Medal: Dr. Jamie Standing and Prof. David Potts have been awarded the 2016 Geotechnical Research medal for their paper entitled The use of kinematic hardening models for predicting tunnelling-induced ground movements in London Clay that was published in Géotechnique 66(2).
- Other recent activities, events and news.