Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering

Research, study, twitter

Work with us

Research and consultancy

In the latest Research Excellence Framework (REF 2021), 75% of our research was considered 4* (highest rating), and the remaining 25% at 3* (unit of assessment: engineering).

This improved upon our achievement in previous research assessment exercises:
REF 2014 (unit of assessment: civil and construction engineering), where 47% of our research was assessed to be 4*, 48% was assessed to be 3*, and 5% 2*.
RAE 2008 (unit of assessment: civil engineering), where we achieved 40% at 4*, 55% at 3* and 3% at 2*. 

The Department is broadly divided into the following research sections:

  • Environmental and Water Resources
  • Fluid Mechanics
  • Geotechnics
  • Materials
  • Structures
  • Systems
  • Transport

Find out more about our research

Our facilities

Each research section has a dedicated research laboratory. Our laboratories provide state-of-the-art facilities and are amongst the most up-to-date and best equipped in Europe. Find out more about our laboratories and facilities

Study with us

The Department ranks consistently highly across a number of prominent league tables.
QS World University Rankings 2022. 6th in the world

Education Guardian university guide 2022. 3rd in the UK. 
Complete University Guide 2022. 2nd in the UK. 
The Sunday Times Good University Guide 2022. 1st in the UK. 
National Student Survey 2022. Overall satisfaction level of 92%. 

Undergraduate MEng

Our graduates possess the skills, knowledge and attitudes necessary to improve the quality of life for many people through engineering practice. Find out more about undergraduate MEng courses.

Taught postgraduate MSc

Focussing on the built environment and its inter-relationships with the natural environment and human society.  Find out more about postgraduate MSC study.

Postgraduate Research PhD

We integrate new theoretical treatments, advances in numerical methods, and laboratory and field experimentation. Find out more about PhD opportunities in the Department.