Research Associate in Optimization under Uncertainty
The Management Science & Operations group at Imperial College Business School is seeking applications for a Research Associate in the area of optimization under uncertainty, in particular in the fields of (distributionally) robust optimization and stochastic programming, with applications to energy systems. Applicants must hold a PhD in Operations Research, Applied Mathematics or a related field and have strong mathematical skills. You will...
Job listing information
- Reference BUS00138
- Date posted 20 February 2019
- Closing date 24 March 2019
The Management Science & Operations group at Imperial College Business School is seeking applications for a Research Associate in the area of optimization under uncertainty, in particular in the fields of (distributionally) robust optimization and stochastic programming, with applications to energy systems. Applicants must hold a PhD in Operations Research, Applied Mathematics or a related field and have strong mathematical skills.
You will conduct research with Dr. Wolfram Wiesemann from the Management Science & Operations group at Imperial College Business School. The position is funded through EPSRC grant EP/R045518/1, which is conducted in collaboration with researchers from the Energy Futures Laboratory as well as several other departments at Imperial College London.
The Management Science & Operations group at Imperial College Business School studies all aspects of theoretical and practical decision-making, with applications to operations management, energy and finance. Faculty members regularly publish in leading academic journals such as Management Science, Operations Research, Mathematical Programming, Mathematics of Operations Research and SIAM Journal on Optimization. The group maintains close relations with the Computational Optimization Group at the Department of Computing, Imperial College London.
Duties and responsibilities
- You will work as part of an international multidisciplinary research team
- You will conduct methodological research and publish papers on stochastic programming and/or (distributionally) robust optimization.
- You will apply the aforementioned research to energy models, in collaboration with other researchers from the IDLES project.
- You will be responsible for drafting academic papers along with interim and final reports on the progress of the work
- You will present results to a variety of audiences including research funders, academics, and policy makers, at seminars, national and international conferences
- You will have joint authorship of academic papers from your research, which will be published in leading international journals
You should have proven knowledge and skills in operations research, applied mathematics or a related field and possess strong mathematical skills. Applicants with a proven knowledge and expertise in one or more of the following will be preferred:
- Stochastic Programming
- (Distributionally) Robust Optimization
- Modelling of Energy Systems
Skills and Abilities
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Excellent inter-personal skills
- Excellent management and liaison skills
- Ability to organise own work with minimal supervision
- Ability to prioritise own work in response to deadlines
- Demonstrable evidence of initiative
- Ability to travel within the UK and overseas to attend research meetings
Please see the Job Description for a full list of requirements.
The position is full time and fixed term for 18 months.
Informal enquiries should be directed to Wolfram Wiesemann directly: firstname.lastname@example.org.
For technical issues when applying online, please contact: email@example.com
The College is a proud signatory to the San-Francisco Declaration on Research Assessment (DORA), which means that in hiring and promotion decisions, we evaluate applicants on the quality of their work, not the journal impact factor where it is published. For more information, see https://www.imperial.ac.uk/research-and-innovation/about-imperial-research/research-evaluation/
About Imperial College London
Imperial College London is the UK’s only university focussed entirely on science, engineering, medicine and business and we are consistently rated in the top 10 universities in the world.
You will find our main London campus in South Kensington, with our hospital campuses located nearby in West and North London. We also have Silwood Park in Berkshire and state-of-the-art facilities in development at our major new campus in White City.
We work in a multidisciplinary and diverse community for education, research, translation and commercialisation, harnessing science and innovation to tackle the big global challenges our complex world faces.
It’s our mission to achieve enduring excellence in all that we do for the benefit of society – and we are looking for the most talented people to help us get there.
Please note that job descriptions cannot be exhaustive and the post-holder may be required to undertake other duties, which are broadly in line with the above key responsibilities.
All Imperial employees are expected to follow the 7 principles of Imperial Expectations:
- Champion a positive approach to change and opportunity
- Communicate regularly and effectively within, and across, teams
- Consider the thoughts and expectations of others
- Deliver positive outcomes
- Encourage inclusive participation and eliminate discrimination
- Develop and grow skills and expertise
- Work in a planned and managed way
In addition to the above, employees are required to observe and comply with all College policies and regulations.
Imperial College is committed to equality of opportunity, to eliminating discrimination and to creating an inclusive working environment. We are an Athena SWAN Silver award winner, a Stonewall Diversity Champion, a Disability Confident Employer and work in partnership with GIRES to promote respect for trans people.
Athena SWAN Silver Award 2016
We renewed our Silver in the April 2016 submission round. Recognising advancement of gender equality.
Disability Confident employer
Imperial is a Disability Confident employer