Research Associate in Battery Materials Characterisation
Applicants are invited to apply for a Research Associate position focused on the characterization of transport processes in battery materials. The RA would be joining a team who are currently developing a novel isotopic technique for quantifying the solid-state diffusivity and liquid-solid interfacial exchange coefficients for a range of electrode materials for lithium-ion batteries. This post is particularly focused on investigating the...
Job listing information
- Reference ENG00200
- Date posted 12 February 2018
- Closing date 12 March 2018
Applicants are invited to apply for a Research Associate position focused on the characterization of transport processes in battery materials. The RA would be joining a team who are currently developing a novel isotopic technique for quantifying the solid-state diffusivity and liquid-solid interfacial exchange coefficients for a range of electrode materials for lithium-ion batteries. This post is particularly focused on investigating the effect of temperature on the solid phase diffusion and of electrolyte additives on the surface exchange.
Duties and responsibilities
• Characterisation of battery materials to identify and develop suitable techniques, and apparatus, for the collection and analysis of data
• To develop a robust experimental method for the characterisation of lithium ion battery materials
• To take initiatives in the planning of research
• To direct the work of small research teams
• To design experiments, identify and develop suitable techniques, and apparatus, for the collection and analysis of data
- Hold a PhD (or equivalent) in Physical Science or Engineering, or a closely related discipline, or equivalent research, industrial or commercial experience
- Practical experience within a research environment
- Practical experience working with laboratory environment
- Knowledge of research methods and statistical procedures
- Knowledge of solid-state chemistry
This is 36 month fixed term role.
Candidates who have not yet been officially awarded their PhD will be appointed as Research Assistant within the salary range £32,380 - £34,040 per annum.
For informal enquiries about the post please contact Dr Sam Cooper email@example.com
Any queries regarding the application process should be directed to Sarah Wissing at firstname.lastname@example.org
About Imperial College London
Imperial College London is the UK’s only university focussed entirely on science, engineering, medicine and business and we are consistently rated in the top 10 universities in the world.
You will find our main London campus in South Kensington, with our hospital campuses located nearby in West and North London. We also have Silwood Park in Berkshire and state-of-the-art facilities in development at our major new campus in White City.
We work in a multidisciplinary and diverse community for education, research, translation and commercialisation, harnessing science and innovation to tackle the big global challenges our complex world faces.
It’s our mission to achieve enduring excellence in all that we do for the benefit of society – and we are looking for the most talented people to help us get there.
Please note that job descriptions cannot be exhaustive and the post-holder may be required to undertake other duties, which are broadly in line with the above key responsibilities.
All Imperial employees are expected to follow the 7 principles of Imperial Expectations:
- Champion a positive approach to change and opportunity
- Communicate regularly and effectively within, and across, teams
- Consider the thoughts and expectations of others
- Deliver positive outcomes
- Encourage inclusive participation and eliminate discrimination
- Develop and grow skills and expertise
- Work in a planned and managed way
In addition to the above, employees are required to observe and comply with all College policies and regulations.
Imperial College is committed to equality of opportunity, to eliminating discrimination and to creating an inclusive working environment. We are an Athena SWAN Silver award winner, a Stonewall Diversity Champion, a Disability Confident Employer and work in partnership with GIRES to promote respect for trans people.
Athena SWAN Silver Award 2016
We renewed our Silver in the April 2016 submission round. Recognising advancement of gender equality.