We wish to recruit a Research Assistant to join the team of Prof Xiaodong Zhang, in the section of structural biology, Department of Medicine, to carry out structural studies of protein complexes involved in DNA damage signalling and repair. The successful candidate should have prior experience in protein purification, cryo electron microscopy grids preparation, data collection on different levels of electron microscopes as well as image...
Job listing information
- Reference MED01199
- Date posted 16 April 2019
- Closing date 30 April 2019
We wish to recruit a Research Assistant to join the team of Prof Xiaodong Zhang, in the section of structural biology, Department of Medicine, to carry out structural studies of protein complexes involved in DNA damage signalling and repair. The successful candidate should have prior experience in protein purification, cryo electron microscopy grids preparation, data collection on different levels of electron microscopes as well as image processing to obtain high resolution 3-dimensional structural information using single particle analysis.
Duties and responsibilities
- Characterisation of protein complexes using cryo electron microscopy
- To purify and prepare protein and protein complex samples suitable for electron microscopy data collection and analysis of data
- To analyse the data and obtain 3-dimensional structures
- To ensure the validity and reliability of data at all times
- To maintain accurate and complete records of all findings
- To assist with the writing of reports to research sponsors
- To present findings to colleagues
- To provide advice to other staff and students
- To assist with the publication of findings
- To attend relevant workshops and conferences as necessary
- To develop contacts within the College and the wider community
- To promote the reputation of the Group, the Department and the College
You will possess a first degree or equivalent – e.g. BSc / BA in biology/biochemistry or other appropriate discipline, Knowledge of electron microscopy and data analysis and previous experience of cryo electron microscopy single particle research.
This is a fixed term contract for 20 months.
For issues when applying please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
Committed to equality and valuing diversity, we are also an Athena SWAN Silver Award winner, a Stonewall Diversity Champion, a Disability Confident Employer and are working in partnership with GIRES to promote respect for trans people.
The College is a proud signatory to the San-Francisco Declaration on Research Assessment (DORA), which means that in hiring and promotion decisions, we evaluate applicants on the quality of their work, not the journal impact factor where it is published. For more information, see https://www.imperial.ac.uk/research-and-innovation/about-imperial-research/research-evaluation/
The College believes that the use of animals in research is vital to improve human and animal health and welfare. Animals may only be used in research programmes where their use is shown to be necessary for developing new treatments and making medical advances. Imperial is committed to ensuring that, in cases where this research is deemed essential, all animals in the College’s care are treated with full respect, and that all staff involved with this work show due consideration at every level. http://www.imperial.ac.uk/research-and-innovation/about-imperial-research/research-integrity/animal-research/
About Imperial College London
Imperial College London is the UK’s only university focussed entirely on science, engineering, medicine and business and we are consistently rated in the top 10 universities in the world.
You will find our main London campus in South Kensington, with our hospital campuses located nearby in West and North London. We also have Silwood Park in Berkshire and state-of-the-art facilities in development at our major new campus in White City.
We work in a multidisciplinary and diverse community for education, research, translation and commercialisation, harnessing science and innovation to tackle the big global challenges our complex world faces.
It’s our mission to achieve enduring excellence in all that we do for the benefit of society – and we are looking for the most talented people to help us get there.
Please note that job descriptions cannot be exhaustive and the post-holder may be required to undertake other duties, which are broadly in line with the above key responsibilities.
All Imperial employees are expected to follow the 7 principles of Imperial Expectations:
- Champion a positive approach to change and opportunity
- Communicate regularly and effectively within, and across, teams
- Consider the thoughts and expectations of others
- Deliver positive outcomes
- Encourage inclusive participation and eliminate discrimination
- Develop and grow skills and expertise
- Work in a planned and managed way
In addition to the above, employees are required to observe and comply with all College policies and regulations.
Imperial College is committed to equality of opportunity, to eliminating discrimination and to creating an inclusive working environment. We are an Athena SWAN Silver award winner, a Stonewall Diversity Champion, a Disability Confident Employer and work in partnership with GIRES to promote respect for trans people.
Athena SWAN Silver Award 2016
We renewed our Silver in the April 2016 submission round. Recognising advancement of gender equality.
Disability Confident leader
Imperial is a Disability Confident leader
Imperial is working in partnership with GIRES to promote respect and provide equal treatment for trans people