Undergraduate Research Opportunities Programme
Applications for 2019-20 will open in Janaury 2020
If you are a full time undergraduate student at Imperial College you are invited to apply to the College’s Undergraduate Research Opportunities Programme (UROP). Occasional students such as exchange, Erasmus and intercalating students are unable to apply.
The bursary will provide a student with a contribution towards their living costs for 6- 12 weeks while undertaking a research experience within Imperial College during the summer of 2020.
UROP has furthered the research ambitions of students for over 35 years and continues to be the College's focal point for students (from within & outside College) who wish to develop an appreciation of research and the environment within which it takes place. Students and academic staff are encouraged to consider the possibilities that the UROP system offers.
|Engineering and Physical Sciences Research Council (EPSRC) Vacation Bursary||BP UROP Awards||Faculty of Engineering UROP Award||Imperial College UROP Award|
|Fee status||EU or Home||ALL||ALL||ALL|
|Where in their degree||Middle years of their degree (1st and final years are not eligible)||In any year||In any year||In any year|
|Value of award||£322.63 per week||£305.41 per week||£305.41 per week||
£305.41 per week
Please note: Bursary is the same amount regardless of the length of the placement. Awards with two recipients will be split 50/50
|Duration of research experience||6-10 weeks||8-12 weeks||6-12 weeks||
|Cross Faculty award||Not available||In extraordinary cases||In extraordinary cases||Available|
How to apply and deadlines
Please note that the UROP applications are closed for 2018-19.
- Submit an expression of interest in applying for a bursary. You do not need to have a project in place in order to submit your expression of interst.
- Complete an application form to complete which will be sent to you within the 24 hours, or the next working day, of you submitting your expression of interest. You must have provisionally agreed a research experience with a member of academic staff before you apply.
- Your Supervisor will be sent a form for them to submit their supporting statement. They will be sent this form after the deadline for you to submit your application.
- You only need to complete one application to be considered for all of these bursary schemes.
- Priority will be given to those students who have not received an award before. Each student will have a supervisor to support them through their research and all awardees will need to complete a Student Perspective upon completion of their programme.
- Where two students are applying for a joint basis for one Imperial College UROP Award, you only need to express your interest once, under one of your names. You can then complete a single application form for both of you.
Applicants can preview the questions beforehand: UROP Application Preview Questions 2019.
The Expression of Interest form will close at midday on Wednesday 13 February 2019.
The Application deadline for students is midday on Friday 15 February 2019.
Supervisors must submit their supporting statement by midday on Thursday 28 February 2019.
- Engineering and Physical Sciences Research Council (EPSRC) Vacation Bursary
- A student who is allocated this award will be required to submit a report directly to the EPSRC at the end of their research experience.
- BP UROP Awards
- BP usually prefer not to fund a final year student.
- BP will select students based on how well a research experience correlates to their own activities.
- Only the following host departments are available for the BP award: Chemistry, Mathematics, Physics and the (Faculty of Engineering) Departments of Chemical Engineering, Civil & Environmental Engineering, Earth Science and Engineering, Electrical & Electronic Engineering and Mechanical Engineering
- A student will be required to submit feedback to BP at the end of their research experience.
- Imperial College UROP Award
- Those expecting to graduate in June 2019 are also eligible if their proposed research experience concludes by 3 October 2019.
- Applications for a bursary can be made by either:
- one undergraduate;
- or two undergraduates undertaking a joint UROP. In this case, the application must be clear as to the contribution of each student. Work is usually split 50/50, with both students commiting equal time and effort to the research project. The bursary will also be split equally between the students.
- If a student is successful in their application, the host department may allocate additional funds (on top of the granted award) to make a combined total of £350 per week for the student. This is done at the host department’s discretion, and they will be responsible for processing any additional bursary payments which are approved.
The start date should be no earlier than the end of the academic year.
All applicants will be notified by Friday 12 April 2019 whether they have been sucessful.
The bursary is paid in a single instalment on Friday 5 July 2019.
Further information about other UROP opportunities is available via the UROP web pages.
Terms and conditions
Important terms and conditions apply to our UROP awards. Read these in full.