Students relaxing in shared living space in halls

Introduction to student finance in 2020/21

What is it?

The Maintenance Loan is designed to support full-time Home students with their living costs e.g. food, rent and travel.

Find out more about who qualifies for financial support from the Government on the website.

How much can I get?

The amount you can get depends on:

  • where you live
  • where you study
  • your household income

All students who are eligible for the loan can receive up to 50% of the maximum loan amount regardless of their financial situation. The maximum loan amount for students living away from home in London in 2020-21 is £12,010.

Access to the remaining 50% is dependent upon your household income.

Maintenance loan accordion

Students from England

Students living in England must apply for financial support from the Government via the funding authority, Student Finance England.

You can calculate an approximate Maintenance Loan amount at Gov.UK Student Finance Calculator.

Students from Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland

Similar living cost support is available for students from Northern Ireland, Scotland or Wales – contact your relevant funding body for more information about the amount you may be eligible for:

Students from elsewhere in the EU

Students from elsewhere in the EU are eligible for a Maintenance Loan if they have been living in the UK for five years prior to the start of their course and EU students who meet certain criteria are eligible for a Tuition Fee loan.

Support for EU students has been confirmed for those wishing to attend from 2020-21

EU Fees from 2021:

EU students will no longer be able to claim tuition fee loans or the lower EU fee rates for programmes starting from 2021. Continuing students, who commence prior to 2021, will retain their fees and funding for the duration of the programme. For more information please see

Also, check out Imperial's range of scholarships – the President's Scholarships scheme is open to students of any nationality.

Do I have to pay it back?

Yes, but only once you have left university, are in employment and earning a pre-tax salary of £26,575 a year or more.

Find out more about repaying your loans

Find out more

For more information on loans, see the Government's GOV.UK website.

Student finance for EU, Swiss, Norwegian, Icelandic or Liechtenstein nationals from August 2021 

EU/EEA/Swiss students starting a course on or after 1 August 2021 will no longer be eligible for the Home fee rate and so will be charged the Overseas fee. Please note we do not expect this to apply to Irish students or students benefitting from Citizens rights under the EU Withdrawal Agreement, EEA EFTA Separation Agreement or Swiss Citizens’ Rights Agreement respectively.

Please visit the Fee Status page for current and full information.