Open 24 hours
Every Friday 23.00 - Saturday 10.00 - Closed
Welcome Desk and Information Hub
Monday - Friday 08.30 – 21.00
Saturday - 10.00 - 18.00
Sunday – 11.00 - 19.00
Monday - Friday 09.00 – 19.00
Saturday - 10.00 - 18.00
Sunday – Closed
ICT Service Desk
Monday - Friday 08.30 – 18.00
Opening hours may change at short notice
Renewals and enquiries about your library account
If you are being disturbed in a quiet or silent study area
Text an Attendant on 020 7594 8883
Information Hub, Central Library
Imperial College London
South Kensington Campus
+44 (0)20 7594 8810
The library is next to the Queen's lawn. Visitors are asked to report to the Welcome Desk. If you have a question please ask at the Information Hub.
We have a range of different study zones to suit you. Each floor is designated as either group, quiet or silent study.
- Level 1 - group study
- Level 2 - CLOSED for refurbishment
- Level 3 - CLOSED for refurbishment
- Level 4 - quiet study
- Level 5 - silent study
Please observe the displayed guidance, and encourage your friends and colleagues to follow this too.
Our library attendants regularly patrol all floors and will be pleased to help maintain the study environment.
PCs, laptops and iPads
You'll find PCs on levels 1, 2, 4 and 5.
Printer-copiers are located on levels 1,2 and 4.
We also have iPads and laptops for students to borrow, see Borrowing a laptop or iPad.
For ICT support visit the Service Desk on level 1.
Eating and drinking
The Library Cafe is the best place for eating and drinking.
Only drinks with a lid and cold food items are allowed beyond the entrance turnstiles.
Phone friendly areas
Please keep your phone on silent wherever you are in the building. You may use the following areas to make and receive calls, and please make use of our acoustic phone hoods to reduce disturbance.
- Level 1 - café, group study area, main toilet corridor, phone hoods outside training room 2
- Level 2 - outside the toilets
- Level 3 - outside the toilets
- Level 4 - far corner beyond the toilets
Books and other items
Our book collection contains material to support both taught courses and research, we also hold a wide range of recreational reading material both fiction and non-fiction. Books are arranged in classmark order:
During Summer 2018 books and other items will be available on the following floors:
- Level 1: 0 - 53, DVDs
- Level 4: 54 - 619, flat maps
- Level 5: 62 - 999
- Music scores: place a Request on Library Search
To borrow items use the self-service machines on level 1.
The 24 hour loan room on level 1 has books in heavy demand.
Pick up your requested items from the 24 hour loan room and use the self-service machine to borrow them.
Print journals and theses are kept in the Store and are fetched, on request, by the Store Service. We also hold a number of special collections of historical interest originating from the College's department and medical schools.
Group study rooms
The library has 5 rooms which can be booked by students for group study:
- Room A (Level 1 Wolfson Suite) - maximum 6 people, includes PC, projector and smartboard
- Room B (Level 1 Wolfson Suite) - maximum 6 people, includes PC, projector and smartboard
- Room C (Level 1 group study zone) - maximum 6 people, includes PC, projector and smartboard
- Small group study room (Level 1 Wolfson Suite) - maximum 6 people, includes PC
- Seminar Room 210 (Level 2) - maximum 16 people, includes PC, projector and whiteboard
You may book 2 sessions in any 7 days (maximum booking of 2 hours allowed per day).
Late arrivals: after 15 minutes we may reassign your time slot to another user.
Room 204 is the ICT training room - for booking information see ICT training room.