Requesting a book
How to request a library book which is on loan or at another campus
If a book is on loan
You can request a book which is currently on loan and we will reserve it for you when it is returned.
1) First, sign in to Library Search
2) Find the book details using Library Search and click on the title.
3) Click on “Request”. The request option only appears if you are signed in.
4) In the request box, change the Pickup Location to choose which library you would like to collect the item from, and click on Send order. If your chosen library has the book in stock you won't be able to request it and will need to find the book on the library shelves.
5) When the book is available the Library will let you know via your College email account.
- If your Pickup Location is the Central Library, collect your book from the Request Pickup shelf in the 24 hour room.
- If your Pickup Location is a campus library, collect your book from that library's issue desk.
You book will be available for collection for 7 days.
If Library Search shows that a book should be available but you are unable to find it, please speak to a member of library staff.
It is not possible to place requests on 24 hour loans.
If a book is at another Imperial campus library
If your home campus library either does not stock the book or does not have any available, you may request it from another campus library. Use the request option described above to have the book sent to your home campus library where we will reserve it for you.
If a book is not in our collections
If a book is not in our collections and it is required for your studies or work at Imperial, you can request it using the ORDER A BOOK OR ARTICLE link on Library Search or we will consider purchasing it - just use the Suggest a book, journal or online resource for purchase link.