Work related database
- ICT home A collection of IC documents on various IT topics which may be of use when trying to resolve specific computer-related problems.
- ICT Software Shop Find a variety of software available on college licences either for free or at low cost (including Adobe products, Windows XP, Office XP/2007, End-Note, Reference Manager etc). Applicable to both PCs and Macs.
- Endnote reference managment
- LaTeX information and installation How to install LaTeX and WinEdt on a Windows PC and some useful general links
Each member of IC has an account with the print service and anything you send there can be printed anywhere in college, you just need to choose if you would like it to be black and white or colour.
Printers are located in the following RSM locations:
|RSM 3.21c||A4 mono|
|RSM 3.35||A4 mono|
|RSM 3.38||A4 colour|
|RSM 4.28||A4 mono|
|RSM Aston-Webb level 2 open plan||A3 mono|
|RSM Aston-Webb level 3 open plan area||A3 mono|
|RSM G07||A4 colour|
|RSM level 1 Interaction area||A3 mono|
|RSM room 1.50||A4 colour|
|RSM Room 3.37||A4 colour|
|RSM room 4.40||A3 mono|
|RSM Room G36||A4 mono|
If the printers are out of paper, call ICT on 49 000.
Scanner & Graphics packages - Room 2.15
Work placements and internships
Work placements and internships, particularly during the summer have been taken up by several students in the past. They offer the opportunity to gain experience in an industry you may hope to enter in the future and to broaden your horizons. They also provide an important foothold and help build a web of contacts which can prove useful for both future employment and current PhD studies. Placements are also available as a route into other sectors, such as Banking and Finance.
There are two main ways of gaining placements:
- Many companies offer summer placements as part of their recruitment process. These are largely designed for undergraduates but there is no reason a postgraduate cannot apply.
- It is often worth writing directly to contacts within companies and asking if they have any projects you could tackle.
For other career related information visit the Imperial College Careers Service.
Work related instrument ation
- Multicollector Inductively-Coupled Plasma Mass Spectrometer (MC-ICP-MS) - Room 3.12 Basement of Earth Galleries, Natural History Museum, Imperial College-Natural History Museum Joint Facility (ICNHMJF) - C ontact Jamie Wilkinson or Dominik Weiss
- Portable Probe Permeameter (PPP) - Contact Mr Graham Nash B205 (Bessemer), Ext 47471< /li>
- Outcrop Gamma Logging Tool (OGLT) - Recommended hire David Skinner & Partners Tel. 01748 884781
- Rock crushing and cutting, thin sections, block polishing - Contact Liz Morris RSM 3.17/3.23
- Transmitted and reflected light microscopy, CL, and microphotography - Contact Jamie Wilkinson
- Impact Factors for journals
- Success guide for graduate students
- Science Direct contains a whole host of Geoscience publications from which you can download articles and abstracts
- Web of Science - The Science Citation Database, very useful for finding those elusive references
- TCAEP - Constants and Equations
This is a growing database of work-related information for postgraduate students in the ESE department. As always, please contact us (email@example.com) with any additions or corrections