Frequently asked questions

Are there any one or two-bedroom flats available?

Unfortunately we do not offer any one or two-bedroom apartments for rent. Our double bedrooms are designed for single occupancy only.

Is there anywhere to park my car?

There is no car park; however there is a limited number of on-street car parking spaces. Parking permits for the Shinfield Street flats are available through the London Borough of Hammersmith and Fulham.

Do I have to pay council tax?

The Council Tax is included in the rent for the shared apartments, but if you are renting the three-bedroom family apartment you are responsible for paying the Council Tax.

Do I have to pay a deposit?

Once the Tenancy agreement is signed, you will be required to pay one month’s rent Deposit.

Is my deposit protected?

Your deposit will be protected by a Government Authorised Scheme, Mydeposits, until the end of your tenancy agreement.

How do I apply for staff accommodation?

If you would like to apply for staff accommodation, please contact the team on Alternatively, please complete the online enquiry form.

You will be asked to complete an application form and then you will be put on a waiting list. Once confirmed, you will need to sign a tenancy agreement and pay a deposit (one month’s rent).

Is it possible to rent a room for a couple of months only?

Unfortunately the rooms cannot be rented for short term; the minimum stay is 12 months.

What can I expect if I'm sharing a flat?

All shared apartments are for three individuals, each room designed for single occupancy only.

You do not need to know each other before applying as the rooms are let individually. Each tenant will have a key for his/her room and the living and kitchen areas will be shared amongst the three tenants. The bathroom will be shared by the tenants occupying the large and medium double rooms as the en-suite double room will have its own shower and toilet.

I will be staff of the Imperial College very soon, but I don’t have the contract yet. Can I still apply for the Shinfield accommodation?

If an employment letter or a job offer is provided and the contract will be issued in the next month you can still fill in the application form and be put on the waiting list.

How long is the tenancy for?

Accommodation is usually offered as a 12-month contract.

Can I arrange to view the property before applying?

A viewing can be arranged once one of the apartments or bedrooms become available. Unfortunately we cannot arrange viewings when rooms are occupied by tenants.

What's included in the monthly rent?

All flats are fully furnished. Rent also includes Council Tax and gas consumption (for shared apartments) and gas consumption only (for the three-bedroom family apartment).

Who can apply for staff accommodation?

Any member of Imperial College London or Imperial NHS staff earning between £21,375 and £67,495 may apply.