Space Sharing policy
The Space Sharing policy defines the rights, obligations, and expected norms for using College's shared space. The definitive list of shared spaces is maintained in the Imperial College Location Inventory System (ICLIS) and these fall under the following categories:
- Teaching - lecture theatres, teaching labs and communal spaces that can additionally be used for teaching.
- Event - dedicated events spaces (e.g. Queen's Tower Rooms), large flat-floor spaces and communal spaces that can additionally be used to host events.
- Meeting - general and specialist meeting rooms.
For further details, please download the policy using the button on the right-hand side.
Space Sharing Overview
What This Policy Covers
This policy applies to all core College spaces that are designated as Shared Space. This includes:
- All College owned and operated buildings on all campuses and locations; including libraries, sports facilities, conferencing and events facilities
- All space leased or otherwise occupied by the College (including NHS owned locations)
- All spaces that can, in part or full, be used by Members of College on request
- All communal spaces including but not limited to ’breakout student spaces’, corridors, access ways, lawns
- Imperial College Union (ICU) allocated spaces that are or can be charged for, or booked
- Dedicated spaces (e.g. student or staff accomodation, ICU spaces used for the operation of the Student Union)
 The definitive list of shared spaces is maintained in the Imperial College Location Inventory System (ICLIS)
- Reduce barriers to more Collegiate and broad based use of shared spaces;
- Provide unambiguous clarity about how shared space use is prioritised;
- Protect Academic Department identity while providing highly permissive use of Shared Spaces physically located within departments;
- Clarify how non-academic spaces such as staff training rooms are shared.