EndNote reference management software
EndNote is a bibliographic software package that enables you to:
- Import references from databases, journals and text files
- Import PDF files to create references
- Search databases from within EndNote
- Search your own references
- Insert citations into your documents
- Generate a bibliography in over 4500 styles
- Insert figures or tables into your document
EndNote software may be freely installed on any Imperial-owned or operated machine but all installations must be licensed. During the download process you will be asked to accept the licensing agreement. Installation requires administrator permissions.
EndNote X7 for Windows and Mac
To purchase a personal copy of EndNote, see Discounted software for students
What's new in EndNote X7?
EndNote X7 for PC and Mac was launched in Summer 2013. New features include:
- Improved PDF management including:
- PDF auto import folder enabling you to identify a folder where PDFs are commonly saved
- Auto groups for PDF folder import
- Auto renaming schema means improved naming
- Customisable display
- Improved quick search
- Background EndNote sync means work continuously backed up
- Cite in Microsoft Powerpoint (Windows only)
- Add subheadings to your bibliography in Microsoft Word
EndNote X7 for Mac improvements:
- New navigation and user interface
- Advanced PDF annotation options
Connection files contain all the information necessary for EndNote to search and import references from an online database, and book references from Imperial College Library. Save files in C:\Program Files\EndNote X7\Connections.
Import filters are files used by EndNote to transfer references previously downloaded from an online database and saved as a text file. Save files in C:\Program Files\EndNote X7\Filters.
Output styles - over 4500 are available from the EndNote website. Save files in C:\Program Files\EndNote X7\Styles.
EndNote and LaTeX/BibTeX
LaTeX is a mathematical typesetting programme that enables the easy creation of documents. BibTex is a bibliographic tool that can be used with LaTeX to manage references and create a bibliography.
It is not possible to use EndNote’s Cite While You Write functionality with LaTeX/BibTeX. However it is possible to use the reference management features of EndNote and then export a reference list in BibTeX format.
Help and guidance with using EndNote with LaTeX/BibTeX is available from: