History

The Department of Medicine was formed in 2010, but its roots can be traced back to the beginning of the 19th century. Through the merging of several historic medical schools, the Department has undergone significant change and growth throughout the years.

The Imperial College School of Medicine was established in 1997.  It was formed following the merger of the Charing Cross and Westminster Medical School, and the Royal Postgraduate Medical School. In May 2001, the Faculty of Medicine was formed, leading to the subsequent formation of its Departments.

Using the timeline below, you can trace the histories of the medical schools that have formed the basis of our Department.


Charing Cross

Charing Cross

1823 - 1984

The Charing Cross Hospital Medical School was established in 1823. In 1984, the School merged with the Westminster Hospital Medical School (established 1834) to form the Charing Cross and Westminster Medical School.

1984 - 1997

In 1997, The Charing Cross and Westminster Medical School  joined with St Mary's Hospital Medical School at Imperial College London and the Postgraduate Medical School of London to form the Imperial College School of Medicine.


St Mary's

St Mary's

1854 - 1997

St Mary's Hospital Medical School was established in 1854. In 1988, the School merged with Imperial College of Science and Technology to become its fourth constituent college (the others being the Royal College of Science, Royal School of Mines and City and Guilds College). The College was renamed Imperial College of Science, Technology and Medicine. In 1997, St Mary's Hospital Medical School was joined by other hospital medical schools to form the Imperial College School of Medicine.


Royal Postgraduate Medical School of London 

Hammersmith Hospital

1974 - 1997

The Royal Postgraduate Medical School of London was established in 1947, succeeding the British Postgraduate Medical School of London. In 1986, the School merged with the Institute of Obstetrics and Gynaecology. The School joined with St Mary's Hospital Medical School at Imperial College London and the Charing Cross and Westminster Medical School to form the Imperial College School of Medicine in 1997.