Faculty of Engineering
Terms of reference
- To provide a forum for deliberation on matters of academic policy and the development of taught education* across the Faculty to enable the achievement of the College Strategy.
- To consider and advise on developments in the educational portfolio of the Faculty.
- To assess the implications of proposed new policies and procedures (both internal and external) and contribute to QAEC discussion or directly to external bodies.
- To advise, implement and monitor new policies and procedures (both internal and external) which affect the activities and/or administration of teaching.
* Includes undergraduate and Master’s level programmes of study and short course provision.
Quality and Standards Responsibilities
- To provide a forum for the discussion of student issues and to monitor the student experience, for example via student survey results and staff-student committees, at all points of delivery.
- To provide oversight and scrutiny of the processes of quality assurance for the Faculty’s academic provision in accordance with the College’s Academic Standards Framework.
- To oversee the implementation of the College’s Annual Monitoring process by (i) the receipt and consideration of Department’s Annual Monitoring Reports (AMRs) (ii) the preparation of an annual summary report on issues and emerging themes arising from the Committee’s consideration of the AMRs, for submission to the Quality Assurance and Enhancement Committee (QAEC).
- To identify through the annual monitoring, periodic review and other quality assurance mechanisms, good practice and innovation in learning, teaching and assessment and promote its dissemination across the Faculty and elsewhere in the College.
- To consider on an annual basis College summaries of external examiner reports.
- To consider reports of Professional, Statutory and Regulatory Bodies on undergraduate and postgraduate taught provision.
- To approve minor changes to existing programme curricula (including for existing collaborative provision) and short course provision in accordance with the College Academic Standards Framework and report these to the Programmes Committee.
- To approve changes to entry requirements for existing programmes of study.
- To approve and keep under review programme specifications for taught degree programmes and approve and keep under review course specifications for short course provision and inform QAEC.
- To approve and keep under review marking schemes and schemes for award of honours and inform QAEC.
- To appoint panels to consider special cases for admission and other circumstances.
- To oversee all special cases.
- To oversee the professional skills development programme for Master’s level students.
- To approve, in collaboration with the Registry and International Office when appropriate, new exchange arrangements and the renewal of existing exchange agreements and report these to QAEC.
Constitution and membership
- A senior representative for educational leadership for the Faculty as Chair;
- A College Consul;
- A student representative;
- Additional members to be determined by each Faculty
For meetings including consideration of quality and standards matters:
- At least one representative from the Registry nominated by the Academic Registrar or Head of Academic Services;
- A representative from the Education Development Unit;
- Student representation including the ICU Deputy President Education and GSU President or Deputy President
|Dr Lorraine Craig||Academic Tutor and Associate Dean for Learning and Teaching (Chair)|
|Professor Jeff Magee||Dean|
|Professor Peter Cheung||Vice-Dean (Education)|
|Mr Richard Martin||Faculty Operating Officer|
|Professor Marek Sergot||College Consul|
|Professor Yun Xu||College Consul|
|Dr Giuliano Allegri||Aeronautics UG Representative|
|Professor Martyn Boutelle||Bioengineering UG Representative|
|Professor Nina Thornhill||Chemical Engineering UG Representative|
|Dr Mike Templeton||Civil and Environmental Engineering UG Representative|
|Dr Tony Field||Computing UG Representative|
|Dr Lorenzo Picinali||Design Engineering UG Representative|
|Dr Mike Strule||Earth Science and Engineering UG Representative|
|Dr Kristel Fobelets||Electrical and Electronic Engineering UG Representative|
|Dr Martyn McLachlan||Materials UG Representative|
|Dr Michael Bluck||Mechanical Engineering UG Representative|
|Professor Sergei Chernysenko||Aeronautics PGT Representative|
|Dr Darryl Overby||Bioengineering PGT Representative|
|Dr Jason Hallett||Chemical Engineering PGT Representative|
|Professor Bassam Izzuddin||Civil and Environmental Engineering PGT Representative|
|Dr Fariba Sadri||Computing PGT Representative|
|Dr Andy Brand||Design Engineering PGT Representative|
|Dr Lidia Lonergan||Earth Science and Engineering PGT Representative|
|Professor Andrew Holmes||Electrical and Electronic Engineering PGT Representative|
|Professor Jason Riley||Materials PGT Representative|
|Dr Ulrich Hansen||Mechanical Engineering PGT Representative|
|Ms Claudia Caravello||Student Representative (CGCU)|
|Ms Beth Holman||Student Representative (RSMU)|
|TBC||Student Representative (GSU)|
|Dr Phil Power||Education Manager, Faculty of Engineering as Secretary|
Meeting dates and deadlines
|Committee dates (Academic year 2017/18)||Submission deadlines (Academic year 2017/18)|
|27 September 2017||13 September 2017|
|22 November 2017||08 November 2017|
|28 February 2018||14 February 2018|
|16 May 2018||02 May 2018|
Agenda items (including papers) should be submitted to the committee secretary two weeks prior to the committee meeting. Papers will normally be circulated to members one week prior to the committee meeting.