Terms of reference
Terms of Reference
The Programmes Committee is a sub-committee of the Quality Assurance and Enhancement Committee (QAEC). It has delegated responsibility from QAEC to consider proposals for new and major modifications to undergraduate and Master’s level taught programmes of study as well as the taught credit-bearing provision in research degree programmes. The Committee is also responsible for making recommendations to QAEC for changes to the College’s academic and examination regulations related to taught programmes and taught credit-bearing provision in research degree programmes.
The Committee is also responsible for providing quality assurance oversight for courses that do not result in an award of the College but that bear the name of the College. This includes, but is not limited to, continuing professional development, Horizons, Business for Professional Engineering and Scientists (BPES) modules, I-Explore modules, pre-sessional courses, and summer school courses, including outreach. The Committee’s remit excludes the Graduate School’s professional skills development programme and Careers Service’s training programme which are quality assured separately.
Approval of Programmes of Study
- To oversee and approve an annual schedule of programme approval activity for the College linked to the College Strategic Planning Round.
- To consider and recommend, to the Quality Assurance and Enhancement Committee, the redesigned curricula from the Curriculum Review process, supported by the Curriculum Review Reference Panels and designed in alignment with the College's Learning and Teaching Strategy.
- To consider and recommend, to the Quality Assurance and Enhancement Committee, the approval of new award bearing undergraduate and Master's level and taught credit-bearing provision in research degree programmes congruent with College expectations and acadmic and examination regulations for taught programmes or research programmes as applicable.
- To manage the approval process and programme development activity including providing advice at the initial stages in such areas as: regulatory queries; engagement with the College’s Mission; relevant College Codes of Practice and Strategies; and development of a Memorandum of Agreement (for collaborative programmes).
- To scrutinise the academic standards and quality of new programme proposals, including the content of the curriculum, the learning, teaching and assessment strategies and the curriculum structure.
- To ensure that sufficient external and independent consultation (including student consultation) has been sought in assessing the academic standards and quality of new programme proposals.
- To ensure that relevant internal and external reference points, including Professional, Statutory and Regulatory Body (PSRB) requirements, have been taken into consideration in the design of a programme.
- To advise on modifications to the College regulations and procedures that affect taught programmes of study or related to taught credit-bearing provision in research degree programmes.
Major Modifications to Programmes of Study
- To consider proposals for changes to existing programme titles, the suspension or withdrawal of programmes and major modifications to the curriculum structure, content and delivery of individual programmes in accordance with the College policy on Programme Modifications.
- To receive and approve changes to entry requirements with delegated authority from QAEC, in liaison with Admissions (Registry) and Faculty Education Committees.
- To receive and endorse reports from Faculty Education Committees on the approval of minor modifications to approved curricula.
- Following appropriate strategic partnership approval, to approve all new collaborative modules (those which are run in collaboration with another institution).
- To ensure that sufficient external and independent consultation (including student consultation) has been sought for modifications
Short Course Approval and Modifications
- To maintain an overview of the quality, standards and enhancement of College’s short course activities.
- To maintain oversight of new non-credit bearing short courses offered by departments and centres.
- To approve new credit bearing short courses offered by departments and centres.
- To approve new credit bearing online modules.
- To approve major modifications to existing short courses.
- To advise on modifications to College regulations and procedures that affect short course provision.
- To advise QAEC on developments in UK and international short course provision.
- To maintain oversight of the College’s Short Course Catalogue/website.
Constitution and membership
- a chair, nominated by the Vice Provost (Education)
- a senior representative for educational leadership from each faculty, nominated by the Dean (to include at least one Faculty Senior Tutor)
- a senior representative for the Continuing Professional Development Unit
- a representative for the Educational Development Unit
- the Director of the Centre for Languages, Culture and Communication
- a College Consul
- the Director or Deputy Director of the Graduate School
- three student representatives nominated by Imperial College Union
- the Academic Registrar or (nominee)
- the Deputy Director (Academic Quality and Standards)
- an Assistant Registrar as secretary, with the power to co-opt
To be quorate, a minimum of one third of members need to be present.
|Dr Clemens Brechtelsbauer||Chair|
|Dr Mike Tennant||Deputy Chair|
|Dr Lorraine Craig||Faculty of Engineering Representative|
|Dr Vijay Tymms||Faculty of Natural Science Representative|
|Dr Jeffrey Vernon||Faculty of Medicine Representative|
|Professor Richard Green||Imperial College Business School Representative|
|Betty Yue||Continuing Professional Development Unit Representative|
|Dr Jo Horsburgh||Educational Development Unit Representative|
|Kate Ippolito||Educational Development Unit Representative|
|Professor Yun Xu||Director of the Graduate School|
|Dr Ana Costa-Pereira||Director of the Centre for Languages, Culture and Communication|
|Michaela Flegrova||Student Representative and Deputy President (Education), Imperial College Union|
|Zixiao Wang||Student Representative and President, Graduate Students' Union|
|Abhijay Sood||Student Representative and President, Imperial College Union|
|Judith Webster||Director of Academic Quality and Standards|
|Scott Tucker||Deputy Director (Academic Quality and Standards)|
|Men-Yeut Wong||Assistant Registrar (Quality Assurance and Enhancement) - Secretary|
Meeting dates and deadlines
|Committee dates (Academic year 2020/21)||Submission deadlines (Academic year 2020/21)|
|8 September 2020||18 August 2020|
|03 November 2020||13 October 2020|
|26 January 2021||5 January 2021|
|30 March 2021||9 March 2021|
|18 May 2021||27 April 2021|
|20 July 2021||29 June 2021|
Agenda items (including papers) should be submitted to the committee secretary three weeks prior to the committee meeting. Papers will normally be circulated to members one week prior to the committee meeting.
Submission deadlines for new programme proposals should be agreed separately with the committee secretary prior to the meeting and is normally 12 weeks prior to committee.
Academic year 2020/21
- 8 September 2020 [Meeting Cancelled]
- 3 November 2020*
- 26 January 2021
- 30 March 2021
- 18 May 2021
- 20 July 2021
Academic year 2019/20
- 10 September 2019
- 22 October 2019 [Meeting Cancelled]
- 03 December 2019
- 14 January 2020 [Meeting Cancelled]
- 18 February 2020*
- 31 March 2020*
- 12 May 2020*
- 14 July 2020*
Academic year 2018/19
- 11 September 2018 [pdf]
- 16 October 2018 [pdf]
- 27 November 2018 [pdf]
- 08 January 2019 [pdf]
- 19 February 2019 [pdf]
- 26 March 2019 [pdf]
- 1 April 2019 [pdf]
- 7 May 2019 [pdf]
Academic year 2017/18
- 05 September 2017 [pdf]
- 17 October 2017 [pdf]
- 19 December 2017 [pdf]
- 27 March 2018 [pdf]
- 01 May 2018 [pdf]
- 13 June 2018 [pdf]
Academic year 2016/17
- 06 September 2016 [pdf]
- 25 October 2016 [pdf]
- 13 December 2016 [pdf]
- 21 March 2017 [pdf]
- 09 May 2017 [pdf]
Academic year 2015/16
*Minutes to be confirmed at the next meeting