Quality Assurance and Enhancement Committee
Terms of reference
- To develop and advise the Senate on the implementation of College policies and procedures relating to the assurance of academic quality and standards in relation to the College’s programmes.
- To ensure that the College’s quality assurance and academic standards framework meets the expectations of relevant external national and international quality assurance bodies, and Professional, Statutory and Regulatory Bodies (PSRBs) where appropriate.
- To direct Centres, Departments and Faculties in the implementation of policy and regulation relating to the assurance of academic quality and standards, preparation for assessment of quality, programme review and enhancement.
- To oversee periodic reviews of undergraduate and postgraduate taught provision in Departments, and to report on the reviews, including the identification of good practice and recommendations for quality enhancement.
- To oversee periodic and precept reviews of postgraduate research provision and to receive annual reports on the reviews, including the identification of good practice and recommendations for quality enhancement.
- To consider proposed changes to the academic and examination regulations and make recommendations to Senate.
- To oversee the operation of College wide internal and external student surveys (via sub-committees where necessary), the consideration of and action planning in response to these surveys through quality assurance and enhancement mechanisms and make further recommendations for action where necessary.
- On the advice of the Programmes Committee to approve new programmes and short courses.
- On the advice of the Programmes Committee to approve major modifications to existing programmes and short courses (including suspension and withdrawal).
- To oversee the activities and receive the minutes of the Programmes Committee, Faculty Education Committees, Postgraduate Research Quality Committee, Collaborative Provision Sub-Group and working groups as appropriate.
- Review reports on academic standards and the quality of the student experience, including student casework, External Examiner reports, Placement and Study Abroad activity.
Constitution and membership
- the Academic Registrar as Chair;
- a senior representative with a responsibility for educational leadership from each faculty nominated by the Dean;
- a senior representative from the Centre for Higher Education Research and Scholarship and/or the Centre for Languages, Culture and Communication (CHERS/CLCC);
- the Graduate School Head of Strategy and Operations;
- the Senior College Consul;
- the Director of Academic Quality and Standards;
- the Chair of the Programmes Committee;
- the ICU Deputy President (Education)
- the GSU President (or nominee)
|David Ashton||Academic Registrar (Chair)|
|Laura Lane||Graduate School Head of Strategy and Operations|
|Professor Peter Openshaw||Senior College Consul|
|Dr Clemens Brechtelsbauer||Chair of the Programmes Committee|
|Dr Lorraine Craig||Faculty of Engineering Nominee|
|Becky Middleton||Faculty of Natural Sciences Nominee|
|Mr Martin Lupton||Faculty of Medicine Nominee|
|Karen Tweddle / Veronica Russell||Business School Nominee|
|Claire Stapley||CLCC/CHERS Nominee|
|Michaela Flegrova||Deputy President (Education) for Imperial College Union|
|Zixiao Wang||President (Graduate Students' Union)|
|Judith Webster||Director of Academic Quality and Standards|
|Scott Tucker||Deputy Director (Academic Quality and Standards) as Secretary|
Meeting dates and deadlines
|Committee dates (Academic year 2020/21)||Submission deadlines (Academic year 2020/21)|
|30 September 2020||16 September 2020|
|18 November 2020||04 November 2020|
|20 January 2021||06 January 2021|
|24 February 2021||10 February 2021|
|28 April 2021||14 April 2021|
|26 May 2021||12 May 2021|
Agenda items (including papers) should be submitted to the committee secretary two weeks prior to the committee meeting. Papers will normally be circulated to members one week prior to the committee meeting. Items to be recommended to Senate cannot be considered at the final meeting of the academic year.
Academic year 2018/19
- 03 October 2018 [pdf]
- 19 December 2018 [pdf]
- 30 January 2019 [pdf]
- 13 March 2019 [pdf]
- 10 April 2019 [pdf]
- 05 June 2019
- 03 July 2019
Academic year 2017/18
- 12 September 2017 [pdf]
- 07 November 2017 [pdf]
- 16 January 2018 [pdf]
- 23 March 2018 [pdf]
- 17 April 2018 [pdf]
- 22 May 2018 [pdf]
Academic year 2016/17
- 20 September 2016 [pdf]
- 08 November 2016 [pdf]
- 10 January 2017 [pdf]
- 04 April 2017 [pdf]
- 23 May 2017 [pdf]
Academic year 2015/16
- 10 November 2015 [pdf]
- 19 January 2016 [pdf]
- 15 March 2016 [pdf]
- 17 May 2016 [pdf]
- 19 July 2016 [pdf]
Academic year 2014/15
- 07 October 2014 [pdf]
- 11 November 2014 [pdf]
- 22 January 2015 [pdf]
- 03 March 2015 [pdf]
- 28 April 2015 [pdf]
- 02 June 2015[pdf]
- 14 July 2015 [pdf]
Academic year 2013/14
Academic year 2012/13
For committee minutes prior to 2012/13, please contact the committee secretary.