Global Celebrations 2020
Join Imperial alumni all over the world to reminisce, connect with friends and celebrate your place in our vibrant alumni community.
We're asking every single one of our alumni groups to organise an event in June 2020 to bring your local network together. Informal drinks event or gala dinner, bowling night or barbeque, the choice is up to you! This month of global events will culminate in Alumni Weekend here in South Kensington on 4 and 5 July.
Find out more about...
How to host a Global Celebration
Celebrate your connection to Imperial by hosting an event of your choice. Some of the events alumni have held over the past few years have included pub lunches, hikes, livestreaming of the Imperial Festival and various meals and social gatherings, but it's really up to you! We invite you to think outside of the box and plan an event with an Imperial twist. Could you incorporate a science or business element? Do you know any alumni who could host an event in their home or workplace?
Global events can take place anytime in June 2020, up until Alumni Weekend which takes place on 4 and 5 July. If you’re not sure if there is an existing group where you are, get in touch!
What you'll need to do
- Decide what sort of event you want to host
- Confirm that you'll be organising an event by Friday 20 March 2020
- Apply for funding by Friday 17 April 2020
- Confirm details such as date, time, venue and let us know by Friday 1 May 2020
- Organise any activities you might want to have at your event
- Receive and distribute the Global Celebrations pack with gifts and decorations
- Take lots of pictures and enter the photo competition
- Enjoy the sense of satisfaction that comes from hosting a fabulous event and bringing the community together!
What we'll do
- Publish your event on our website and set up a registration page for you to manage attendance
- Send a targeted email invitation to alumni in your region with details of your event
- Include your event in a special Global Celebrations edition of our events e-newsletter
- Post you a special Global Celebrations pack including decorations and gifts
- Judge the photo competition!
The funding available to help
To help you put on the perfect event, we can contribute some funding for your Global Celebration, ranging from £100 (available to all groups) to £600 (available to larger groups only). This contribution could help to add something extra to your event, cover an entry fee, or book a special space.
Any dates I should be aware of?
- Confirm you will be taking part in Global Celebrations by: Friday 20 March 2020
- Apply for funding by: Friday 17 April 2020
- Confirm all event details by: Friday 1 May 2020 (so we can send out invitations and give your guests enough notice)
- Global Celebration events must take place between: 1 June and 5 July 2020
- Send your entries to the photo competition by: Monday 6 July 2020
The photo competition!
Make sure you take lots of photos during your event so you can enter our Global Celebrations photo competition!
How to enter
Select up to five of the best photos from your event and email them to Eilidh Campbell, Alumni Engagement Officer. You can use the themes below to inspire you! Please provide short captions for your photos. Please note, photos should be clear, well-lit and ideally have an interesting or attractive background.
- Your event must take place between 1 June and 5 July 2020 (unless an exception has been approved with our office)
- Photos must be received by Monday 6 July
- At least one Imperial branded item from the Global Celebrations pack should appear in every shot
- Please submit a maximum of five photos
- Submitted photos must be a minimum size of 600 x 600 pixels
Judging will be conducted by a panel of senior staff from Imperial’s Advancement Division. The panel will evaluate all valid entries and pick the winning photo, as well as the runner-up and the second runner-up.
To inspire you, we'll be judging photos based on three criteria:
- Best use of decorations
- Most smiles in one photo
- Then and now (be creative with this one - why not invite people to bring photos of themselves from their Imperial days, an old scarf or recreate an old photo?)
Ideas and inspiration
Are you looking for inspiration or want to discuss event ideas? We’re here to help! Contact Eilidh Campbell, Alumni Engagement Officer, if you have any questions, we’d love to hear from you!
Global Celebrations over the years
Alumni in Dubai | Global Celebrations 2018
Alumni in Shanghai | Global Celebrations 2018
Alumni in Oman | Global Celebrations 2017
Alumni in Seattle | Global Celebrations 2018
Alumni in Thailand | Global Celebrations 2019
Alumni in Taiwan | Global Celebrations 2019
Alumni in Melbourne | Global Celebrations 2019
Alumni in Japan | Global Celebrations 2019
Alumni in Boston | Global Celebrations 2019
Alumni in Hong Kong | Global Celebrations 2018
Alumni in Washington | Global Celebrations 2019
Alumni in Taipei | Global Celebrations 2018
Alumni in San Diego | Global Celebrations 2017