Welcome to the Applied and Computational Complex Analysis (ACCA) Group page
The Applied and Computational Complex Analysis group of the Department of Mathematics at Imperial College London is part of a wider network of UK-based universities, the ACCA-UK network, bringing together expertise in applied and computational complex analysis challenges with a view to fostering synergetic interaction and collaboration.
Upcoming Red Lotus Project Lecture series:
As part of the Red Lotus Project initiative, Profs Darren Crowdy and Marc Hodes (Tufts) are organising a week-long lecture series entitled "Transport phenomena on textured surfaces: Fundamentals and Applications". This lecture course will take place Sep 23--29 2019 at the International Centre for Mechanical Sciences, Udine, Italy. Full information, including a description of the lectures and invited lecturers, can be found on the flyer.
- The Newton Institute will host a 4-month programme on applied complex analysis entitled "Complex analysis: techniques, applications and computations", between Sep 2 - Dec 19. There are three one-week workshops scheduled throughout the programme for which anyone interested can apply. For more information, click here The first workshop, on "The complex analysis toolbox", is Sep 9-13, which you can apply for by clicking here.
- We would like to congratulate Dr. Jordan C. Hauge for recently completing his Ph.D. He will be commencing a postdoctorate project with the head of the ACCA-JP chapter Prof. Takashi Sakajo in Kyoto University, on topological flow data analysis. We wish him the very best of luck.
- IMA special issue: Prof. Darren Crowdy is a guest editor, with Profs. David Smith and Tim Pedley, of a special issue of the IMA J. Appl. Math commemorating the career of Prof. John Blake. For more information, click here.
ACCA member Dr. Rhodri Nelson is now working in the Department of Earth Sciences and Engineering. We wish him the best of luck in his new position.
- We want to congratulate ACCA alumnus Dr. Elena Luca for being the recipient of the David Crighton Fellowship. She will be working with Prof. David Abrahams at the Department of Applied Mathematics and Theoretical Physics, University of Cambridge in the period May-July 2019. We wish her the very best of luck.
- Prof. Darren Crowdy was invited to be the Principal Lecturer at the NSF-CBMS sponsored workshop on "Solving Problems in Multiply Connected Domains". He delivered a course of 10 lectures between June 18-22 2018, punctuated by invited lectures by a selection of other researchers: more details are available here.
- The 4th International ACCA-UK/JP workshop took place at University of Kyoto, Japan in March 2018. For more details, click here.
- Prof. Darren Crowdy will deliver an invited lecture at the workshop on "Mathematical Aspects of Physical Oceanography" at the Erwin Schrodinger Institute, Vienna (March 12-16 2018).
- ACCA alumnus Dr. Elena Luca was an invited speaker the the KTGU workshop at Kyoto University, Japan on Feb 17 2018
- Congratulations to ACCA alumnus Dr. Vikas Krishnamurthy who will start a Fellowship at the Erwin Schrodinger Institute in Vienna, Austria on April 1 2018.
- On Nov 2 2017, Prof. Darren Crowdy visited the Mechanical Engineering Department of Tufts University, Cambridge, MA, USA to deliver a Colloquium on superhydrophobic surfaces
The ACCA group at Imperial College is looking forward to welcoming visiting students Michael Mayer (PhD student, Tufts University) and Hiroyuki Miyoshi (PhD student, Tokyo University). Both students will visit the ACCA group between Jan-Mar 2018.
- ACCA Imperial Alumni: We would like to congratulate ACCA alumnus Dr. Christopher Green on his lectureship position at Macquarie University, Sydney, Australia.
- We would like to welcome Dr. Sheehan Olver to the Department of Mathematics at Imperial College London.
- Professor Darren Crowdy is currently a Visiting Professor at the New Jersey Institute of Technology, Newark, USA from 1st July until 31st December 2017.
- Professor Darren Crowdy will give an invited talk at the conference "Local and global dynamics of concentrated vortices", Rennes, France May 22-24 2017
- The 3rd International ACCA-UK/JP Workshop took place at Imperial College London in March 2017. The program for the event can be found here, and for a list of abstracts, click here The event included a special Colloquium lecture by Prof. Edward Saff, Vanderbilt University, USA.
- Dimitrios Askitis is visiting from University of Copenhagen in period Feb-Apr, and we wish him a pleasant and fruitful stay with us at ACCA Imperial.
- ACCA Imperial Alumni: We would like to congratulate Elena Luca and Vikas Krishnamurthy on the completion of their PhD. Elena has started her post-doc at University of California San Diego (UCSD), while Vikas will be starting his post-doc at Universidade Federal de Pernambuco in Recife, Brazil. We wish them the best of luck on their future endeavours.
- "Mathematical models of microstructured optical fibre (MOF) fabrication" -- an invited seminar to be delivered by Prof. Darren Crowdy at IUSTI, Marseille (Institut Universitaire des Systemes Thermiques Industriels) on March 10 2017.
- Professor Darren Crowdy will give a Colloquium talk in the Dept of Mathematics, University of Surrey on Friday February 24th 2017
- Professor Yuri Antipov will give a seminar at Imperial College London, on 16th of November at 2 pm, in room 747 in the Huxley Building. The seminar is entitled: Riemann-Hilbert problem, Riemann Surfaces and automorphic functions in supercavitating flow.
Professor Darren Crowdy will deliver an invited Colloquium lecture at the University of British Columbia, Vancouver on November 28th 2016. The lecture is entitled: The "Hole Story" of a forgotten function, and how to use it. More details here.
Science Without Borders sandwich studentship: the ACCA group is delighted to welcome Tiago Anselmo da Silva, a PhD student from UFPE Recife, who will visit the group between Oct 2016 - Sep 2017 funded by the "Science Without Borders" programme (a "sandwich studentship").
- Upcoming: ACCA Workshop at the International Centre for Mathematical Sciences (ICMS) in Edinburgh, between May 8-12, 2017. This event is organized by Prof. Peter Clarkson (University of Kent), Prof. Darren Crowdy (Imperial College London), Prof. Thanasis Fokas (University of Cambridge), Prof. Robb McDonald (University College London) and Prof. Beatrice Pelloni (Heriot-Watt University). More details about this event can be found here.
- Professor Darren Crowdy will deliver an invited lecture at the "Holomorphic Day" event in Copenhagen, Denmark, on November 18, 2016. More details to follow here.
- The “Red Lotus Project” Workshop: an interdisciplinary meeting on heat transfer effects in superhydrophobic surface theory and related areas in Chicheley, UK, between November 1-2, 2016. This event is organized by Prof. Darren Crowdy (Imperial College London, UK), Prof. Marc Hodes (Tufts University, USA) and Prof. Demetrios Papageorgiou (Imperial College London, UK). More details about this event can be found here.
- Seminar: Dr Rhodri Nelson delivered a seminar at the Department of Earth Science and Engineering, Imperial College London, on October 21, 2016. More details can be found here.
- Dr Rhodri Nelson delivered a seminar "Potential problems in multiply-connected domains" at Univesity College London (UCL), on October 18, 2016. Abstract can be found here.
- Dr Everett Kropf delivered a guest lecture "The Potential Toolkit, an Applied Example" at Wichita State University in Wichita, Kansas, USA. Abstract can be found here.
- Workshop on micro-organisms in Stokes flows at Okayama University, Japan: Professor Darren Crowdy and Sam Brzezicki delivered invited talks in the workshop which takes place on Wednesday August 31, 2016. The workshop is organized by Dr. Kiori Obuse (Okayama University, JP). More details about this event can be found here.
- ACCA Seminar: Tomoki Uda (Kyoto University) delivered a seminar “Numerical Computation for Vortex Patch Equilibria with New Shape Derivative Formula”, on Tuesday July 12, 2016, 3-4pm, Room 747.
- Professor Darren Crowdy delivered two invited lectures as part of the LMS-sponsored Wales Mathematics Colloquium 2016 in Gregynog, Wales on May 23-25 2016.
- Dr Peter Buchak Seminar at Tufts University: ACCA-group alumnus Dr. Peter Buchak delivered a seminar "Optical fibres with elliptical channels" at the Mech. Eng. Dept at Tufts University, MA, USA on April 14 2016. Details here.
- BAMC 2016: Vikas Krishnamurthy and Elena Luca delivered talks in the British Applied Mathematics Colloquium in April 2016 in Oxford, UK.
- "Schottky-Klein prime function Day" at the International Institute of Physics workshop "Physics and Mathematics of Complex Interfaces: growing interfaces, nonlinear dynamics, integrability". Profs. Darren Crowdy and Giovani Vasconcelos led a discussion day on uses of the Schottky-Klein prime function in mathematical physics on April 6th at the IIP, Natal, Brazil.
- Professor Darren Crowdy delivered a Colloquium in the Department of Mathematics at the University of Melbourne, Australia, on March 22nd. The title of his talk is "The geometry of Fourier transforms, and how to use it". More details can be found here.
- Fluid Dynamics Seminar: "Slippage at microstructured surfaces", Dr. Clarissa Schönecker (Max Planck Institute), Friday February 26th, 2016, 4pm-5pm, Room 139, Huxley Building, Imperial College. More details can be found here.
- Special AMMP Colloquium: "Asymptotics beyond all orders: the devil's invention?", Prof. S. J. Chapman (Oxford University), Thursday February 25th, 2016, 4pm-5pm, Room 340, Huxley Building, Imperial College. More details can be found here.
- February 2016: 4th ACCA Student Chapter Meeting, Wednesday February 17th, 2016. Details (including the schedule) can be found here.
Closing Seminar by Prof. Mark Blyth from University of East Anglia: "Application of complex variable methods to some nonlinear wave problems"
- January 2016: The Second International ACCA-JP/UK Workshop took place at Kyoto University between January 18-19, 2016. More details about this event (including the programme) can be found here.
- January-February 2016: ACCA-UK members Prof. Darren Crowdy, Dr. Everett Kropf, Sam Brzezicki, Jordan Hauge and Vikas Krishnamurthy visited Kyoto University during January-February 2016. Their visit was funded by the Japan Science and Technology agency (JST) Math CREST project and Kyoto University Top Global Program. Photo album from their visit can be found here.
- Visiting Scholars: Prof. Ruben Rosales (MIT) during May-June 2016 and Prof. Bruno Carneiro da Cunha (UFPE, Brazil) during August 2016-August 2017 will be visiting Imperial College London and the ACCA-Imperial group.