How do I apply?

Applications should be made online via the online Postgraduate prospectus.

What are your entry requirements?

In the Astrophysics Group we normally require a Master's-level degree to apply for a PhD place. This can be at an undergraduate level (e.g. MPhys, MSci - minimum 2.1), or at a postgraduate level (e.g. MSc), or an overseas equivalent. Find out more about entry requirements.

If your first degree was taken overseas in a non-English speaking country, you will be asked to provide an acceptable result in one of the recognised English language tests. Find out more about English language entry requirements.

How do my referees send their references?

You should provide contact details for referees in step 4 of the online application process - you should provide their official academic email address. They will then be contacted directly and can submit their reference online.

Do you offer a Master's course?

We do not currently offer an Astrophysics Master's course, only PhDs (postgraduate research degrees). However, the Physics Department does offer other Master's courses.

What projects do you offer?

View a list of suggested projects.

Students are also free to nominate their preferred area of research from within the range of the group's interests - the allocation of students to supervisors depends on finding the best matches. Before you make an application, we would also strongly encourage you to contact staff members in the area you are interested in to discuss potential projects.

What funding is available?

We are normally allocated 2-3 Science Technology Facilities Council (STFC) studentships per year, for which eligibility criteria apply. There are also some scholarships available through Imperial College. You may also want to check with your current university and online for other scholarships, for example through the British Council or the Commonwealth Scholarship Commission. Any grant-funded PhD posts will be advertised on our webpages. Please note that we are not normally able to offer RA posts for those studying for a PhD.

Find out more about postgraduate fees and funding.

Am I eligible for an STFC studentship?

Full eligibility criteria can be found on the STFC website.