Information for young people
We are looking for young people between 17-25 years old who are interested in improving, and learning more about, research which is relevant to young people. Below you will find further information about the YPAN and a link to sign up to the network.
What does being part of the YPAN involve?
- Have direct contact with researchers across Imperial College London
- Share your ideas and opinions in a supportive environment
- Meeting and working with other fun young people between the ages of 17-25 years old
What kind of activities will I be involved in?
You will have the chance to get involved in a variety of activities. Some common activities include:
- Being involved in focus groups in which you can share your opinions on specific topics relevant to young people to shape new and ongoing research
- Helping design resources and tools for young people
- Helping researchers write reports on specific health issues relevant to young people and ensuring research findings are easy to understand and reach a wide audience
- Working as part of an advisory group where you will oversee and advise on a specific research project
- Helping researchers to interpret findings from their research study from the perspective of young people
- Being trained to carry out research yourself, for example observing a healthcare setting or carrying out interviews
What are the benefits of being part of the YPAN?
- Improve and learn about research that is relevant to young people
- Build skills and experience for your future through training opportunities
- Receive £25 per hour voucher or payment for your contributions
How are the meetings held?
- Currently, most YPAN activity is happening remotely, through online meetings and email. We hope that in the future we will be able to have face-to-face meetings.
Do I need experience to be part of the YPAN?
- No experience is needed!
- Support and training will be provided to help you learn more about research and how you can be involved and contribute to research.
How much time do I need to commit to the YPAN?
Involvement in the YPAN is completely flexible so you can choose which activities or projects you want to get involved in based on your own schedule.
How do I get involved?
To get involved in the YPAN click on the button below and complete the brief sign-up form. A member of the team will then review your application and get in touch with further information.
Frequently Asked Questions
I want to find out more about being involved in research as a young person
Have a look at our most recent YPAN newsletter to see what opportunities and events members of the YPAN have been involved in.
You can also hear first hand from YPAN member Lizzy Choong in the video below about her experience of being involved in health research since the age of 11. She highlights how she managed her time, the benefits of being involved in research, and provides advice on how best to engage young people.
I'm outside of the age range required to join the YPAN but I still want to get involved in research?
There are a number of different young person advisory groups which across the UK which you can get involved in.
- Imperial College Hospital NHS Trust Youth Forum is open to young people between 16 - 25 years old and is looking for young people who want to shape and influence health care services. Email firstname.lastname@example.org to join the Imperial Youth Forum
- GenerationR alliance has a list of young person advisory groups across the country and for different age groups.
Who do I contact if I want further information?
If you would like to discuss the young person's advisory network further feel free to contact Katherine Baker, Public Involvement Officer at email@example.com
What kind of activities can I get involved in as part of the YPAN
You can check out our blog for some examples of how young people from the YPAN have got involved in research to date.
You can also check out our recent newsletters below which includes upcoming events, involvement and engagement opportunities: