- Belgian 2050 Pathways Calculator website with webtool (launched 2013) and My2050 game (launched 2016)
- Produced by the climate change service of the federal administration with CLIMACTand VITO
- A Wallonia 2050 Pathways Calculator web tool was launched 2011, produced by the regional Government of Wallonia and CLIMACT
- Brazil 2050 Calculator website with webtool and spreadsheet (launched 2016)
- Produced by Empresa de Pesquisa Energética (EPE) and COPPE (part of the Federal University of Rio de Janeiro)
The China 2050 Calculator was created by China’s Energy Research Institute (ERI) with support from the UK Department of Energy and Climate Change (DECC) and the UK Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO). These groups were brought together by the Low Emission Development Strategies Global Partnership (LEDS GP), founded in 2011 to facilitate peer learning technical cooperation and information exchange to support the formation and implementation of low emission development strategies.
More information can be found here.
The Global Calculator is a free, interactive and open-source energy model of the entire world to 2050. It allows users to explore what it takes to tackle climate change. The Global Calculator was simultaneously launched in London and Beijing in January 2015 and continues to be a useful guide to explore global mitigation pathways and associated costs.
Why use it?
To explore what it takes to tackle climate change on a global level and to learn what mitigation options make a real difference and impact on lifestyles:
- Learn about energy, land, food and climate issues – how they are related and how they interact
- Understand how sectors will evolve at a global level to lower carbon by 2050 and see which markets could grow in the future
- Help inform internal strategies and campaigns
- Determine whether country plans are aligned with a global 2°C pathway
- Discover what technologies and actions we need in future.
How can I access it?
Access the tool here - tutorials, videos and user guides will be made available on this site.
You can also download a summary of the Global Calculator’s findings in Prosperous living for the world in 2050: insights from the Global Calculator
- India Energy Security Scenarios 2047 web tool and spreadsheet (launched 2014, revised in 2015)
- Produced by NITI Aayog, the Indian Government's Planning Commission.
- State Calculators are also being developed, for example for the Andhra Pradesh energy Calculator (launched 2018) and the Tamil Nadu State Energy Calculator (TNSEC) 2050.
- Produced by ICF in conjunction with the Government of Andhra Pradesh and NITI Aayog.
- Mauritius 2050 Calculator Webtool (launched 2015)
- Produced by the Mauritius Ministry of Environment, Sustainable Development, and Disaster and Beach Management
South East Europe
In 2015, the Thai 2050 Calculator was launched by the Thai Greenhouse Gas Management Organisation (TGO). Thailand is currently building an updated Calculator, with an expected launch date of March 21.
The latest version of the UK Calculator webtool, produced by the Department for Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy (former Department of Energy and Climate Change), can be found below:
- My 2050 - Create your pathway to low carbon UK by 2050
- Detailed version of the MacKay Carbon calculator
Older versions of this tool, first launched in 2010, can still be found here: