a group of people standing on top of a hill

Welcome to the Student Counselling and Mental Health Advice Service

Please note, though we aim to keep all links and support service information up to date, some external services hours and information may change as a result of the pandemic. All links listed on our webpages will take you through to the service's own website, which will have the most up-to-date information. We will continue to check these regularly.

Self-Injury Awareness Day - Monday 1st March

Self-Injury Awareness Day runs every year on the 1st March, and is recognised as an important day across the globe. Many young people self-harm at some point in their lives, but stigma and misconceptions around self-injury can make it difficult to seek help and support. We believe raising awareness for self-injury is so important to reach out to those struggling with self-injury and to help others understand it.

We want anyone who struggles with self-injury to know that it's ok to talk about how you’re feeling and to ask for help. You may wish to meet with a counsellor who can support you, or explore some of the services listed below that specialise in helping those who struggle with self-injury. This includes resources that explain more about self-harm and how to support yourself in the moment as well as long-term.

You may also like to watch the video produced by YoungMinds, co-produced by young people who have struggled with self-harm, to reassure anyone else struggling that things can and do improve.

  • To Write Love on Her Arms - TWLOHA - support and blog posts written by others suffering from self-injury and self-harm
  • Self Injury Support - support for women
  • Mind - Self-harm information, including advice on short term and long term support  
  • Lifesigns - self-injury guidance and network support
  • Shout Crisis Service - help for when you are struggling or need to talk to someone
  • CalmHarm - an app that provides tasks to help you resist or manage the urge to self-harm
  • Side by Side - an online community where you can listen, share and be heard


'No Harm Done' - A short film produced by YoungMinds to reassure anyone struggling with self-harm.

Main link list homepage