BiOI solar cells
Bismuth oxyiodide is a non-toxic material that is demonstrated to be stable for at least 197 d in air. In solar cells, up to 80% external quantum efficiency is achieved at 450 nm wavelength, with device efficiencies nearly double previous reports. Highlighted by the Royal Academy of Engineering.
Colour-pure emission from perovskite LEDs
Fluorene‐free perovskite light‐emitting diodes (LEDs) with ultra sharp, colour‐pure electroluminescence are obtained by replacing the organic electron injector with ZnO, grown directly on the perovskite emitter from the vapour phase. Paper cited over 200 times.
Semtransparent perovskite solar cells
A p-type inorganic layer (cuprous oxide) is grown over perovskite solar cells, protecting it from damage when sputtering the transparent electrode on top, leading to 24.4%-efficient tandems with silicon. Highlighted in press releases from Imperial, Cambridge, PV Magazine and other outlets.
Lead-free perovskite-inspired materials (PIMs) are demonstrated as highly promising for efficiently harvesting indoor light to power autonomous electronics. Indoor photovoltaics are made from two PIMs, BiOI and Cs-Sb-I,Cl, and these exhibit efficiencies competitive with commercial technologies. Paper highlighted by Imperial and others.
Blue perovskite LEDs
The performance of blue-emitting perovskites lag behind their green- and red-emitting counterparts in LEDs. Here, bromide-based perovskite nanoplatelets are used as blue emitters, with emission tunable by the number of monolayers. LED performance is improved by reducing non-radiative recombination at the hole-injection interface.
Cs2AgBiBr6 double perovskites are stable, nontoxic compounds, but the transport lengths of thin films fall well short of their single crystal counterparts. This work performs detailed macroscopic and microscopic measurements to show grain boundaries to be a critical limiting factor, causing non-radiative recombination and ion migration. Includes the first Cs2AgBiBr6 thin film transistors.
Pushing perovskites from lab to market
Halide perovskite photovoltaics have made tremendous progress after only a decade of research. This invited Future Energy piece discusses the challenges that need to be addressed to move this technology from lab to market. The invited article draws upon the discussions held at the 2020 Virtual MRS symposium Robert co-organised with colleagues.
Light emission in perovskites
Light emission is a critical property that needs to be maximised in semiconductors to improve their performance in optoelectronic devices, which includes light-emitting diodes and solar cells. This invited article discusses recent understanding of light emission in lead-halide perovskites and future challenges. Ranked in the top 0.1% of articles by Web of Science for 2020.
Sustainable Indoor Photovoltaics
The Internet of Things is a core part of the fourth-industrial revolution that will improve quality-of-life in many ways. But a critical question is how the billions of devices can be sustainably powered. This Progress Report explores the potential of indoor light harvesting, especially the new opportunities offered by lead-free perovskite-inspired materials.
* denotes corresponding author
68. Z. Li, S. P. Senanayak,* L. Dai, G. Kusch, R. Shivanna, Y. Zhang, D. Pradhan, J. Ye, Y.-T. Huang, H. Sirringhaus, R. A. Oliver, N. C. Greenham, R. H. Friend, R. L. Z. Hoye.* Understanding the Role of Grain Boundaries on Charge-Carrier and Ion Transport in Cs2AgBiBr6 Thin Films. Advanced Functional Materials, 2021, Early View, 2104981. DOI: 10.1002/adfm.202104981
67. S. R. Rondiya,* Y. A. Jadhav,* A. Živković, S. B. Jathar, G. K. Rahane, R. W. Cross, A. V. Rokade, R. S. Devan, S. Kolekar, R. L. Z. Hoye, H. N. Ghosh, N. H. de Leeuw, S. R. Jadkar, N. Y. Dzade.* Solution-Processed Cd-Substituted CZTS Nanocrystals for Sensitized Liquid Junction Solar Cells. Journal of Alloys and Compounds, 2021, In Press. DOI: 10.1016/j.jallcom.2021.161575
66. José P. B. Silva,* Eliana M. F. Vieira, Katarzyna Gwozdz, Adrian Kaim, Luís M. Goncalves, Judith L. MacManus-Driscoll, Robert L. Z. Hoye, Mario Pereira. High-performance self-powered photodetectors achieved through the pyro-phototronic effect in Si/SnOx/ZnO heterojunctions. Nano Energy, 2021, 89(A), 106347.
65. Mamta P. Nasane, Sachin R. Rondiya, Chandradip D. Jadhav, Ganesh R. Rahane, Russell W. Cross, Sagar Jathar, Yogesh Jadhav, Sunil Barma, Dhanaraj Nilegave, Vijaya Jadkar, Avinash Rokade, Adinath Funde, Padmakar G. Chavan, Robert L. Z. Hoye, Nelson Y. Dzade,* Sandesh Jadkar.* An interlinked computational–experimental investigation into SnS nanoflakes for field emission applications. New Journal of Chemistry, 2021, 45, 11768.
64. V. Pecunia,* L. G. Occhipinti, R. L. Z. Hoye.* Emerging Indoor Photovoltaic Technologies for Sustainable Internet of Things. Advanced Energy Materials, 2021, 2100698, Early View, DOI: 10.1002/aenm.202100698
Invited Progress Report
63. A. Dey, J. Ye, A. De, E. Debroye, S. K. Ha, E. Bladt, A. S. Kshirsagar, Z. Wang, J. Yin, Y. Wang, L. N. Quan, F. Yan, M. Gao, X. Li, J. Shamsi, T. Debnath, M. Cao, M. A. Scheel, S. Kumar, J. A. Steele, M. Gerhard, L. Chouhan, K. Xu, X.-G. Wu, Y. Li, Y. Zhang, A. Dutta, C. Han, I. Vincon, A. L. Rogach, A. Nag, A. Samanta, B. A. Korgel, C.-J. Shih, D. R. Gamelin, D. H. Son, H. Zeng, H. Zhong, H. Sun, H. V. Demir, I. G. Scheblykin, I. Mora-Seró, J. K. Stolarczyk, J. Z. Zhang, J. Feldmann, J. Hofkens, J. M. Luther, J. Pérez-Prieto, L. Li, L. Manna, M. I. Bodnarchuk, M. V. Kovalenko, M. B. J. Roeffaers, N. Pradhan, O. F. Mohammed, O. M. Bakr, P. Yang, P. Müller-Buschbaum, P. V. Kamat, Q. Bao, Q. Zhang, R. Krahne, R. E. Galian, S. D. Stranks, S. Bals, V. Biju, W. A. Tisdale, Y. Yan, R. L. Z. Hoye*, L. Polavarapu.* State of the Art and Prospects for Halide Perovskite Nanocrystals. ACS Nano, 2021, Article ASAP. DOI: 10.1021/acsnano.0c08903
Invited Review selected ACS Editor's choice
62. R. L. Z. Hoye,* J. Hidalgo, R. A. Jagt, J.-P. Correa-Baena, T. Fix,* J. L. MacManus-Driscoll.* The Role of Dimensionality on the Optoelectronic Properties of Oxide and Halide Perovskites, and their Halide Derivatives. Advanced Energy Materials, 2021, 2100499, Early View. DOI: 10.1002/aenm.202100499
Invited Review part of the special issue on Dimensionality. Include in the Hot Topic collection on solar cells
61. V. Pecunia,* J. Zhao, C. Kim, B. R. Tuttle, J. Mei, F. Li, Y. Peng, T. N. Huq, R. L. Z. Hoye, N. D. Kelly, S. E. Dutton, K. Xia, J. L. MacManus-Driscoll, H. Sirringhaus. Assessing the Impact of Defects on Lead-Free Perovskite-Inspired Photovoltaics via Photoinduced Current Transient Spectroscopy. Advanced Energy Materials, 2021, 2003968, Early View. DOI: 10.1002/aenm.202003968
60. C. A. R. Perini, T. A. S. Doherty, S. D. Stranks,* J.-P. C.-B.,* R. L. Z. Hoye.* Pressing Challenges in Halide Perovskite Photovoltaics - From the Atomic to Module Level. Joule, 2021, 5 (5), 1024-1030.
Invited Future Energy piece
59. J. Ye, M. M. Byranvand, C. O. Martínez, R. L. Z. Hoye,* M. Saliba,* and L. Polavarapu.* Defect Passivation in Lead-Halide Perovskite Nanocrystals and Thin Films: Toward Efficient LEDs and Solar Cells. Angewandte Chemie - International Edition, 2021, 60, 2-27 (English); Angewandte Chemie, 2021, 133, 2-27 (German).
Included in the hot topic on surfaces and interfaces
58. M. Napari,* T. N. Huq, D. J. Meeth, M. J. Heikkilä, K. M. Niang, H. Wang, T. Iivonen, H. Wang, M. Leskelä, M. Ritala, A. J. Flewitt, R. L. Z. Hoye, J. L. MacManus-Driscoll. Role of ALD Al2O3 Surface Passivation on the Performance of p-Type Cu2O Thin Film Transistors. ACS Applied Materials & Interfaces, 2021, 13, 4156-4164.
57. Y.-T. Huang, S. R. Kavanagh, D. O. Scanlon, A. Walsh, R. L. Z. Hoye.* Perovskite-Inspired Materials for Photovoltaics and Beyond - From Design to Devices. Nanotechnology, 2021, 32, 132004. Corrigendum on primary references for figures, DOI: 10.1088/1361-6528/ac074b
Ranked in the top 1% of papers by citations by Web of Science and highlighted in Nature Physics
56. J. Gan,* M. Yu, R. L. Z. Hoye, K. P. Musselman, Y. Li, X. Liu, Y. Zheng, X. Zu, S. Li, J. L. MacManus-Driscoll,* L. Qiao.* Defects, Photophysics and Passivation in Pb-Based Colloidal Quantum Dot Photovoltaics. Materials Today Nano, 2020, 13, 100101.
55. Y. Peng,† T. N. Huq,† J. Mei,† L. Portilla, R. A. Jagt, L. G. Occhipinti, J. L. MacManus-Driscoll, R. L. Z. Hoye,* V. Pecunia.* Lead-free perovskite-inspired absorbers for indoor photovoltaics. Advanced Energy Materials, 2020, 11, 2002761. Raw data
† Equal contribution
Featured on the back cover of the January issue of Advanced Energy Materials
Highlighted in press releases from Imperial, CBS, PV Magazine, Materials World and other news outlets.
54. Z. Li,* S. R. Kavanagh,* M. Napari, R. G. Palgrave, M. Abdi-Jalebi, Z. Andaji-Garmaroudi, D. W. Davies, M. Laitinen, J. Julin, M. A. Isaacs, R. H. Friend, D. O. Scanlon, A. Walsh, R. L. Z. Hoye.* Bandgap lowering in mixed alloys of Cs2Ag(SbxBi1-x)Br6 double perovskite thin films. Journal of Materials Chemistry A, 2020, 8, 21780-21788. Raw data
53. M. Napari, T. N. Huq, R. L. Z. Hoye,* J. L. MacManus-Driscoll.* Nickel oxide thin films grown by chemical deposition techniques: potential and challenges in next-generation rigid and flexible device applications. Infomat, 2020, Just Accepted. DOI: 10.1002/INF2.12146
Invited review article
52. R. L. Z. Hoye,* A. Fakharuddin, D. N. Congreve, J. Wang, L. Schmidt-Mende. Light emission from perovskite materials. APL Materials, 2020, 8(7), 070401.
Editorial for special issue on perovskite emitters. Authors are guest editors
51. R. A. Jagt, T. N. Huq, S. A. Hill, M. Thway, T. Liu, M. Napari, B. Roose, K. Gałkowski, W. Li, S. F. Lin, S. D. Stranks, J. L. MacManus-Driscoll, R. L. Z. Hoye.* Rapid Vapor-Phase Deposition of High-Mobility p-Type Buffer Layers on Perovskite Photovoltaics for Efficient Semi-Transparent Devices. ACS Energy Letters, 2020, 5(8), 2456-2465. Raw data
Highlighted in press releases from Imperial, Cambridge, PV Magazine and other news outlets
50. R. D. Raninga,† R. A. Jagt,† S. Béchu, T. N. Huq, W. Li, M. Nikolka, Y.-H. Lin, M. Sun, Z. Li, W. Li, M. Bouttemy, M. Frégnaux, H. J. Snaith, P. Schulz, J. L. MacManus-Driscoll, R. L. Z. Hoye.* Strong performance enhancement in lead-halide perovskite solar cells through rapid, atmospheric deposition of n-type buffer layer oxides. Nano Energy, 2020, 75, 104946. Raw data
† Equal contribution
49. R. A. Jagt, T. N. Huq, K. M. Börsig, D. Sauven, L. C. Lee, J. L. MacManus-Driscoll, R. L. Z. Hoye.* Controlling the preferred orientation of layered BiOI solar absorbers. Journal of Materials Chemistry C, 2020, 8, 10791-10797.
Included in the Journal of Materials Chemistry C 2020 Emerging Investigators and HOT papers collections.
48. Y. Peng, F. Li, Y. Wang, Y. Li, R. L. Z. Hoye, L. Feng, K. Xia, V. Pecunia.* Enhanced photoconversion efficiency in cesium-antimony-halide perovskite derivatives by tuning crystallographic dimensionality. Applied Materials Today, 2020, 19, 100637.
47. J. Gan, R. L. Z. Hoye, Y. Ievskaya, L. Vines, A. T. Marin, J. L. MacManus-Driscoll,* E. V. Monakhov.* Elucidating the origin of external quantum efficiency losses in cuprous oxide solar cells through defect analysis. Solar Energy Materials and Solar Cells, 2020, 209, 110418.
46. T. N. Huq,† L. C. Lee,† L. Eyre, W. Li, R. A. Jagt, C. Kim, S. Fearn, V. Pecunia, F. Deschler, J. L. MacManus‐Driscoll, R. L. Z. Hoye.* Electronic Structure and Optoelectronic Properties of Bismuth Oxyiodide Robust against Percent‐Level Iodine‐, Oxygen‐, and Bismuth‐Related Surface Defects. Advanced Functional Materials, 2020, 30(13), 1909983. Raw data
45. F. Li, Y. Wang, K. Xia, R. L. Z. Hoye, V. Pecunia.* Microstructural and photoconversion efficiency enhancement of compact films of lead-free perovskite derivative Rb3Sb2I9. Journal of Materials Chemistry A, 2020, 8(8), 4396-4406.
44. R. Gonzalez-Rodriguez, V. C. P. Costa, G. Delport, K. Frohna, R. L. Z. Hoye, S. D. Stranks, J. L. Coffer.* Structural and spectroscopic studies of a nanostructured silicon–perovskite interface. Nanoscale, 2020, 12(7), 4498-4505.
43. Y. Li, R. L. Z. Hoye,* H.-H. Gao, L. Yan, X. Zhang, Y. Zhou, J. L. MacManus-Driscoll,* J. Gan.* Over 20% Efficiency in Methylammonium Lead Iodide Perovskite Solar Cells with Enhanced Stability via “in Situ Solidification” of the TiO2 Compact Layer. ACS Applied Materials & Interfaces, 2020, 12(6), 7135-7143.
42. M. Napari,* T. N. Huq, T. Maity, D. Gomersall, K. M. Niang, A. Barthel, J. E. Thompson, S. Kinnunen, K. Arstila, T. Sajavaara, R. L. Z. Hoye, A. J. Flewitt, J. L. MacManus‐Driscoll. Antiferromagnetism and p‐type conductivity of nonstoichiometric nickel oxide thin films. Infomat, 2020, 2(4), 769-774. Raw data
41. M. Shin, S.-W. Nam, A. Sadhanala, R. Shivanna, M. Anaya, A. Jiménez-Solano, H. Yoon, S. Jeon, S. D. Stranks, R. L. Z. Hoye,* B. Shin.* Understanding the Origin of Ultrasharp Sub-bandgap Luminescence from Zero-Dimensional Inorganic Perovskite Cs4PbBr6. ACS Applied Energy Materials, 2020, 3(1), 192-199.
40. S. Ahmad,* A. Sadhanala, R. L. Z. Hoye, V. Andrei, Md. H. Modarres, B. Zhao, J. Rongé, R. H. Friend, M. De Volder.* Triple-Cation-Based Perovskite Photocathodes with AZO Protective Layer for Hydrogen Production Applications. ACS Applied Materials & Interfaces, 2019, 11(26), 23198-23206.
39. J. Gan,* J. He, R. L. Z. Hoye, A. Mavlonov, F. Raziq, J. L. MacManus-Driscoll, X. Wu, S. Li, X. Zu, Y. Zhan, X. Zhang, L. Qiao.* α-CsPbI3 Colloidal Quantum Dots: Synthesis, Photodynamics, and Photovoltaic Applications. ACS Energy Letters, 2019, 4(6), 1308-1320.
38. R. L. Z. Hoye,*,† M.-L. Lai,† M. Anaya, Y. Tong, K. Gałkowski, T. Doherty, W. Li, T. N. Huq, S. Mackowski, L. Polavarapu, J. Feldmann, J. L. MacManus-Driscoll, R. H. Friend, A. S. Urban, S. D. Stranks.* Identifying and reducing interfacial losses to enhance color-pure electroluminescence in blue-emitting perovskite nanoplatelet light-emitting diodes. ACS Energy Letters, 2019, 4(5), 1181-1188. Raw data (with supporting information)
37. B. Zhao, L. C. Lee, L. Yang, A. J. Pearson, H. Lu, X.-J. She, L. Cui, K. H. L. Zhang, R. L. Z. Hoye, A. Karani, P. Xu, A. Sadhanala, N. C. Greenham, R. H. Friend, J. L. MacManus-Driscoll,* D. Di.* In situ atmospheric deposition of ultrasmooth nickel oxide for efficient perovskite solar cells. ACS Applied Materials & Interfaces, 2018, 10(49), 41849-41854.
36. W. Li, K. Jiang, Z. Li, S. Gong, R. L. Z. Hoye, Z. Hu, Y. Song, C. Tian, J. Kim, K. H. L. Zhang, S. Cho, J. L. MacManus‐Driscoll.* Origin of improved photoelectrochemical water splitting in mixed perovskite oxides. Advanced Energy Materials, 2018, 8(31), 1801972.
35. T. Cossuet, J. Resende, L. Rapenne, O. Chaix‐Pluchery, C. Jiménez, G. Renou, A. J. Pearson, R. L. Z. Hoye, D. Blanc‐Pelissier, N. D. Nguyen, E. Appert, D. Muñoz‐Rojas, V. Consonni,* J.-L. Deschanvres.* ZnO/CuCrO2 Core–Shell Nanowire Heterostructures for Self‐Powered UV Photodetectors with Fast Response. Advanced Functional Materials, 2018, 28(43), 1803142.
34. S. D. Stranks,* R. L. Z. Hoye, D. Di, R. H. Friend,* F. Deschler.* The physics of light emission in halide perovskite devices. Advanced Materials, 2019, 31(47), 1803336.
Ranked in the top 0.1% of Materials Science articles by Web of Science for 2020.
33. B. J. Bohn,† Y. Tong,† M. Gramlich, M.-L. Lai, M. Döblinger, K. Wang, R. L. Z. Hoye, P. Müller-Buschbaum, S. D. Stranks, A. S. Urban,* L. Polavarapu,* J. Feldmann.* Boosting tunable blue luminescence of halide perovskite nanoplatelets through postsynthetic surface trap repair. Nano Letters, 2018, 18(8), 5231-5238.
Paper cited >100 times. Ranked in the top 1% of Materials Science and Chemistry articles for 2019-2020 by Web of Science.
32. V. Andrei, R. L. Z. Hoye, M. Crespo‐Quesada, M. Bajada, S. Ahmad, M. De Volder, R. H. Friend, E. Reisner.* Scalable Triple Cation Mixed Halide Perovskite–BiVO4 Tandems for Bias‐Free Water Splitting. Advanced Energy Materials, 2018, 8(25), 1801403.
31. L. C. Lee, T. N. Huq, J. L. MacManus-Driscoll, R. L. Z. Hoye.* Research Update: Bismuth-based perovskite-inspired photovoltaic materials. APL Materials, 2018, 6(8), 084502.
Featured article and highlighted in Scilights, the news service for the American Institute of Physics.
30. R. L. Z. Hoye,* L. Eyre, F. Wei, F. Brivio, A. Sadhanala, S. Sun, W. Li, K. H. L. Zhang, J. L. MacManus‐Driscoll, P. D. Bristowe, R. H. Friend,* A. K. Cheetham,* F. Deschler.* Fundamental Carrier Lifetime Exceeding 1 µs in Cs2AgBiBr6 Double Perovskite. Advanced Materials Interfaces, 2018, 5(15), 1800464.
One of the most accessed papers in the journal for 2019-2020.
29. R. L. Z. Hoye,*,† K. A. Bush,† F. Oviedo, S. E. Sofia, M. Thway, X. Li, Z. Liu, J. Jean, J. P. Mailoa, A. Osherov, S. F. Lin, A. F. Palmstrom, V. Bulović, M. D. McGehee, I. M. Peters, T. Buonassisi.* Developing a robust recombination contact to realize monolithic perovskite tandems with industrially common p-type silicon solar cells. IEEE Journal of Photovoltaics, 2018, 8(4), 1023-1028.
28. S. Nagane, D. Ghosh, R. L. Z. Hoye, B. Zhao, S. Ahmad, A. B. Walker, Md. S. Islam,* S. Ogale,* A. Sadhanala.* Lead-free perovskite semiconductors based on germanium–tin solid solutions: structural and optoelectronic properties. The Journal of Physical Chemistry C, 2018, 122(11), 5940-5947.
27. J. Y. Zhang, W. Li, R. L. Z. Hoye, J. L. MacManus-Driscoll, M. Budde, O. Bierwagen, L. Wang, Y. Du, M. J. Wahila, L. F. J. Piper, T.-L. Lee, H. J. Edwards, V. R. Dhanak, K. H. L. Zhang.* Electronic and transport properties of Li-doped NiO epitaxial thin films. Journal of Materials Chemistry C, 2018, 6(9), 2275-2282.
26. F. Bai, Y. Zhang, Z. Duan, R. L. Z. Hoye, M. Trevor, Y. Li, M. Li.* Broadband antireflection property of silicon nanocone arrays with porous sidewalls fabricated by Ag-catalyzed etching. AIP Advances, 2017, 7(9), 095006.
25. A. Polizzotti, A. Faghaninia, J. R. Poindexter, L. Nienhaus, V. Steinmann, R. L. Z. Hoye, A. Felten, A. Deyine, N. M. Mangan, J.-P. Correa-Baena, S. S. Shin, S. Jaffer, M. G. Bawendi, C. Lo, T. Buonassisi.* Improving the carrier lifetime of tin sulfide via prediction and mitigation of harmful point defects. The Journal of Physical Chemistry Letters, 2017, 8(15), 3661-3667.
24. R. L. Z. Hoye,* L. C. Lee, R. C. Kurchin, T. N. Huq, K. H. L. Zhang, M. Sponseller, L. Nienhaus, R. E. Brandt, J. Jean, J. A. Polizzotti, A. Kursumović, M. G. Bawendi, V. Bulović, V. Stevanović, T. Buonassisi,* J. L. MacManus‐Driscoll.* Strongly Enhanced Photovoltaic Performance and Defect Physics of Air‐Stable Bismuth Oxyiodide (BiOI). Advanced Materials, 2017, 29(36), 1702176. Raw data (with supporting information)
Highlighted in a press release from the University of Cambridge, and featured by the Deutsches Hygiene-Museum (Dresden) and the Royal Academy of Engineering.
23. J. R. Poindexter,* R. L. Z. Hoye, L. Nienhaus, R. C. Kurchin, A. E. Morishige, E. E. Looney, A. Osherov, J.-P. Correa-Baena, B. Lai, V. Bulović, V. Stevanović, M. G. Bawendi, T. Buonassisi.* High tolerance to iron contamination in lead halide perovskite solar cells. ACS Nano, 2017, 11(7), 7101-7109.
22. R. E. Brandt,* J. R. Poindexter, P. Gorai, R. C. Kurchin, R. L. Z. Hoye, L. Nienhaus, M. W. B. Wilson, J. A. Polizzotti, R. Sereika, R. Žaltauskas, L. C. Lee, J. L. MacManus-Driscoll, M. G. Bawendi, V. Stevanović, T. Buonassisi.* Searching for “defect-tolerant” photovoltaic materials: combined theoretical and experimental screening. Chemistry of Materials, 2017, 29(11), 4667-4674.
Paper cited >100 times.
21. K. A. Bush,† A. F. Palmstrom,† J. Y. Zhengshan,† M. Boccard, R. Cheacharoen, J. P. Mailoa, D. P. McMeekin, R. L. Z. Hoye, C. D. Bailie, T. Leijtens, I. M. Peters, M. C. Minichetti, N. Rolston, R. Prasanna, S. E. Sofia, D. Harwood, W. Ma, F. Moghadam, H. J. Snaith, T. Buonassisi, Z. C. Holman, S. F. Bent, M. D. McGehee.* 23.6%-efficient monolithic perovskite/silicon tandem solar cells with improved stability. Nature Energy, 2017, 2, 17009.
Certified 23.6%-efficient device is the first entry for perovskite-silicon tandems in the NREL Best Research-Cell Efficiency chart. Paper cited >700 times and ranked in the top 1% of Materials Science articles for 2017-2020 by Web of Science.
20. R. L. Z. Hoye,* P. Schulz, L. T. Schelhas, A. M. Holder, K. H. Stone, J. D. Perkins, D. Vigil-Fowler, S. Siol, D. O. Scanlon, A. Zakutayev, A. Walsh, I. C. Smith, B. C. Melot, R. C. Kurchin, Y. Wang, J. Shi, F. C. Marques, J. J. Berry, W. Tumas, S. Lany, V. Stevanovic, M. F. Toney, T. Buonassisi.* Perovskite-inspired photovoltaic materials: Toward best practices in materials characterization and calculations. Chemistry of Materials, 2017, 29(5), 1964-1988.
Highlighted as an example of best research by Chemistry of Materials, and included in a special virtual ACS issue on lead-free perovskites. Ranked in the top 1% of Materials Science articles for 2017 by Web of Science.
19. K. P. Musselman,* D. Muñoz-Rojas, R. L. Z. Hoye, H. Sun, S.-L. Sahonta, E. Croft, M. L. Böhm, C. Ducati, J. L. MacManus-Driscoll. Rapid open-air deposition of uniform, nanoscale, functional coatings on nanorod arrays. Nanoscale Horizons, 2017, 2(2), 110-117.
18. Y. Ievskaya, R. L. Z. Hoye, A. Sadhanala, K. P. Musselman, J. L. MacManus-Driscoll.* Improved heterojunction quality in Cu2O-based solar cells through the optimization of atmospheric pressure spatial atomic layer deposited Zn1-xMgxO. Journal of Visualized Experiments, 2016, 113, e53501.
17. R. L. Z. Hoye,* R. E. Brandt, A. Osherov, V. Stevanović, S. D. Stranks, M. W. B. Wilson, H. Kim, A. J. Akey, J. D. Perkins, R. C. Kurchin, J. R. Poindexter, E. N. Wang, M. G. Bawendi, V. Bulović, T. Buonassisi.* Methylammonium bismuth iodide as a lead‐free, stable hybrid organic–inorganic solar absorber. Chemistry - A European Journal, 2016, 22(8), 2605-2610.
Paper cited >200 times. Ranked in the top 1% of Materials Science and Chemistry articles for 2016 - 2020 by Web of Science. One of the most cited papers in the journal since 2016.
16. N. Khare,* M. Z. Ansari, R. L. Z. Hoye, D. C. Iza, J. L. MacManus-Driscoll.* Elucidation of barrier homogeneity in ZnO/P3HT: PCBM junctions through temperature dependent I–V characteristics. Journal of Physics D: Applied Physics, 2016, 49(27), 275302.
15. X. Ren,* A. Sangle, S. Zhang, S. Yuan, Y. Zhao, L. Shi, R. L. Z. Hoye, S. Cho, D. Li, J. L. MacManus-Driscoll.* Photoelectrochemical water splitting strongly enhanced in fast-grown ZnO nanotree and nanocluster structures. Journal of Materials Chemistry A, 2016, 4(26), 10203-10211.
14. R. E. Brandt,* R. C. Kurchin, R. L. Z. Hoye, J. R. Poindexter, M. W. B. Wilson, S. Sulekar, F. Lenahan, P. X. T. Yen, V. Stevanovic, J. C. Nino, M. G. Bawendi, T. Buonassisi.* Investigation of Bismuth Triiodide (BiI3) for Photovoltaic Applications. The Journal of Physical Chemistry Letters, 2015, 6(21), 4297-4302.
Cited >100 times.
13. A. Sadhanala,* S. Ahmad, B. Zhao, N. Giesbrecht, P. M. Pearce, F. Deschler, R. L. Z. Hoye, K. C. Gödel, T. Bein, P. Docampo, S. E. Dutton, M. F. L. De Volder, R. H. Friend.* Blue-green color tunable solution processable organolead chloride–bromide mixed halide perovskites for optoelectronic applications. Nano Letters, 2015, 15(9), 6095-6101.
Cited >200 times. Ranked in the top 1% of Materials Science and Chemistry articles for 2015-2020 by Web of Science.
12. R. L. Z. Hoye, D. Muñoz-Rojas, K. P. Musselman, Y. Vaynzof, J. L. MacManus-Driscoll.* Synthesis and modeling of uniform complex metal oxides by close-proximity atmospheric pressure chemical vapor deposition. ACS Applied Materials & Interfaces, 2015, 7(20), 10684-10694.
11. Y. Ievskaya,* R. L. Z. Hoye, A. Sadhanala, K. P. Musselman, J. L. MacManus-Driscoll. Fabrication of ZnO/Cu2O heterojunctions in atmospheric conditions: Improved interface quality and solar cell performance. Solar Energy Materials and Solar Cells, 2015, 135, 43-48.
10. R. L. Z. Hoye, D. Muñoz-Rojas, S. F. Nelson, A. Illiberi, P. Poodt, F. Roozeboom, J. L. MacManus-Driscoll.* Research Update: Atmospheric pressure spatial atomic layer deposition of ZnO thin films: Reactors, doping, and devices. APL Materials, 2015, 3(4), 040701.
9. R. L. Z. Hoye, R. E. Brandt, Y. Ievskaya, S. Heffernan, K. P. Musselman, T. Buonassisi, J. L. MacManus-Driscoll.* Perspective: Maintaining surface-phase purity is key to efficient open air fabricated cuprous oxide solar cells. APL Materials, 2015, 3(2), 020901.
8. R. L. Z. Hoye, M. R. Chua, K. P. Musselman, G. Li, M.-L. Lai, Z.-K. Tan, N. C. Greenham, J. L. MacManus‐Driscoll, R. H. Friend, D. Credgington.* Enhanced performance in fluorene‐free organometal halide perovskite light‐emitting diodes using tunable, low electron affinity oxide electron injectors. Advanced Materials, 2015, 27(8), 1414-1419.
Paper cited >200 times. Ranked in the top 1% of Materials Science articles for 2015 - 2020 by Web of Science.
7. R. L. Z. Hoye, K. P. Musselman, M. R. Chua, A. Sadhanala, R. D. Raninga, J. L. MacManus-Driscoll, R. H. Friend, D. Credgington.* Bright and efficient blue polymer light emitting diodes with reduced operating voltages processed entirely at low-temperature. Journal of Materials Chemistry C, 2015, 3(36), 9327-9336.
6. R. L. Z. Hoye, S. Heffernan, Y. Ievskaya, A. Sadhanala, A. Flewitt, R. H. Friend, J. L. MacManus-Driscoll, K. P. Musselman.* Engineering schottky contacts in open-air fabricated heterojunction solar cells to enable high performance and ohmic charge transport. ACS Applied Materials & Interfaces, 2014, 6(24), 22192-22198.
5. K. P. Musselman, S. Albert‐Seifried, R. L. Z. Hoye, A. Sadhanala, D. Muñoz‐Rojas, J. L. MacManus‐Driscoll, R. H. Friend.* Improved exciton dissociation at semiconducting polymer: ZnO donor: Acceptor interfaces via nitrogen doping of ZnO. Advanced Functional Materials, 2014, 24(23), 3562-3570.
4. R. L. Z. Hoye, B. Ehrler, M. L. Böhm, D. Muñoz‐Rojas, R. M. Altamimi, A. Y. Alyamani, Y. Vaynzof, A. Sadhanala, G. Ercolano, N. C. Greenham, R. H. Friend, J. L. MacManus‐Driscoll, K. P. Musselman.* Improved Open‐Circuit Voltage in ZnO–PbSe Quantum Dot Solar Cells by Understanding and Reducing Losses Arising from the ZnO Conduction Band Tail. Advanced Energy Materials, 2014, 4(8), 1301544.
3. R. L. Z. Hoye, K. P. Musselman, J. L. MacManus-Driscoll.* Research Update: Doping ZnO and TiO2 for solar cells. APL Materials, 2013, 1(6), 060701.
2. R. L. Z. Hoye, D. Munoz-Rojas, D. C. Iza, K. P. Musselman, J. L. MacManus-Driscoll.* High performance inverted bulk heterojunction solar cells by incorporation of dense, thin ZnO layers made using atmospheric atomic layer deposition. Solar Energy Materials and Solar Cells, 2013, 116, 197-202.
1. D. C. Iza, D. Muñoz-Rojas, K. P. Musselman, J. Weickert, A. C. Jakowetz, H. Sun, X. Ren, R. L. Z. Hoye, J. H. Lee, H. Wang, L. Schmidt-Mende, J. L. MacManus-Driscoll.* Nanostructured conformal hybrid solar cells: a promising architecture towards complete charge collection and light absorption. Nanoscale Research Letters, 2013, 8(1), 359.
R. L. Z. Hoye and J. L. MacManus-Driscoll. Atmospheric Pressure Spatial Atomic Layer Deposited Metal Oxides for Thin Film Solar Cells (Ch. 10). In: Advanced Micro- and Nanomaterials for Photovoltaics. Ed. D. Ginley and T. Fix. 2019, Elsevier. ISBN: 978-0-12-814501-2
R. E. Brandt, R. C. Kurchin, T. Buonassisi, V. Stevanovic, D. S. Ginley, R. L. Z. Hoye. Optoelectronic devices fabricated with defect tolerant semiconductors. US Patent No.: 2016-0293858. No.: WO201616139A1