I do not have a personal tax account – how do I check it? 

You can access or set up your personal tax account via the gov.uk website.  

What should I be looking for on my personal tax account? 

You should check the contact details held under the ‘Your Profile’ menu heading for any unexpected correspondence details. You should also check the details under the “Pay As You Earn (PAYE)” heading on the account home page for any recent unexpected changes.  

Is there anything else I should be looking out for? 

Yes. If you have had any unexpected notification from HMRC in the recent past such as a request to complete a self-assessment tax return or confirmation that you have registered an additional contact on your personal tax account. If you find anything unexpected, contact the HMRC employee’s helpline on 0300 200 3300. 

Why can’t the College look into this for me? 

We have been investigating every aspect of this matter that we are able to. However, we are unable to query your personal tax matters with HMRC. Your personal tax account is not accessible by your employer as it covers all your tax matters, not just those from your employment with the College.  

Have I been affected by this? 

We have attempted to identify those colleagues who may have been affected based on the provision of an unusual tax code from HMRC. This method is not fool proof, and it is prudent for employees to check their personal tax accounts to ensure there is no unexpected activity. 

What should I do if I suspect there has been unauthorised activity on my personal tax account? 

In the first instance you should contact the HMRC Employee’s Helpline on 0300 200 330 and report your concerns to them. You should then report the matter, including any details given by HMRC, to hrstaffhub@imperial.ac.uk.