Geometric Modelling and Manufacturing Group
The overall aim of the research in the Group is improvement in flexibility and to reduction of lead times during design, process development and manufacture of complex engineering products.
A particular focus has been in dealing with free-form engineering parts defined using NURBS, as the main modelling entity in modern CAD/CAM systems.
The research activities cover a number of areas including:
- Geometric modelling
- Dimensional metrology using contact and non-contact measuring systems
- CAD model updating and reconstruction from point data
- Integration between various activities during product and manufacturing process development
- Collaborative design and manufacture across the supply chain
- Distributed manufacturing planning and control