German level 6
A Post Level 5 or equivalent module in German language and culture
- Offered to 3rd & 4th Years
- Thursdays 16.00-18.00
- 2 term module worth 7.5 ECTS
- Extra Credit or Degree Credit where your department allows
A communicative high level language module for students in their third year of German post A-Level, on the language and culture of the German-speaking countries.
This module aims: -
- To study a range of scientific and technical texts in order to enable you to read and summarise material specific to your own discipline
- To give, and listen to, talks on scientific and technical topics from your own discipline and to increase competence in question and answer sessions
- To acquaint you with a variety of past and present aspects of Germany as a formerly divided country
- To study a literary text, as well as a range of general texts, to increase your awareness of, and competence in, a range of different linguistic registers
By the end of the module, students should have reached approximately the C1/C2 standard of the Common European Framework of Reference (CEFR).
To be eligible for this module you need to have done one of the following: -
- Successfully completed German Level 5
- Already achieved B2/C1 or equivalent on the Common European Framework of Reference (CEFR)
This module is not intended for native or near-native speakers.
This module will equip you with the ability to:
- Use a comprehensive range of linguistic structures and vocabulary in a wide range of situations, including scientific and technical
- Give scientific, technical and other presentations and respond fully and appropriately to questions arising out of the topics presented
- Discuss and analyse scientific, technical and other articles and information (including audio-visual material), give summaries of such activities and materials and translate as required
- Within the wider German context, have an extensive knowledge of Germany in its historical, industrial, political and scientific and cultural dimensions, including its present-day development and associated problems and successes
Indicative core content
This module aims to widen your language skills still further. A wide range of texts, including scientific and technical texts from the your own discipline, will be studied. In addition, the module will focus on a variety of past and present aspects of Germany as a formerly divided country; in connection with this, you will also study a modern work of literature and /or film that relates to the topic. Appropriate video and audio material will be used.
- Consolidation of certain grammatical points as necessary (e.g. apposition; verbs, nouns and adjectives in prepositional constructions)
- Further broadening of vocabulary and register and consolidation of syntax through the study and discussion of a range of scientific, technical and general texts of a high level, in addition to the study of an appropriate literary text or film
- Written and oral summaries of texts
- Some translation
- Advanced listening comprehension
- Various technical and scientific topics related to your interests (and encompassing your specialist discipline), e.g. environmental and energy issues
- Topics centred around current issues in German speaking countries, including their history
- Topics arising from the texts studied in class
- Topics arising from the literary text (Daniel Kehlmann, Die Vermessung der Welt)
- Coursework 30% - 5 pieces of written coursework (may include in-class tests)
- Written examination 35% - A two-hour written examination at the end of the Spring term
- Oral examination 35% - A 25-minute oral examination at the end of the module
- 7.5 ECTS points awarded on successful completion of the module.
- Available to take for credit towards your degree where your department allows. Also available for extra-credit.
- You must be prepared to attend all classes and and undertake approximately 3 hours of private study each week in addition to the assessment.
Technical and other texts from the contemporary German language press and scientific journals, including, for example, Süddeutsche Zeitung, Die Zeit, Der Tagesspiegel (Berlin), FAZ, Der Spiegel, Der Standard a wide variety of other texts or films relating to contemporary German speaking countries and their recent history; supporting video and audio material.
Core text: Daniel Kehlmann, Die Vermessung der Welt, Rowohlt Taschenbuch Verlag GmbH, ISBN-10: 3499241005, ISBN-13: 978-3499241000