Spanish level 3
A Post A/S Level or equivalent module in Spanish language and culture
- Offered to all Undergraduates
- Monday, Tuesday or Thursday 16.00-18.00 (depending on year of study)
- Planned delivery: On campus (South Kensington)
- 2 term module worth 7.5 ECTS
- Available to eligible students as part of I-Explore
- Extra Credit or Degree Credit where your department allows
A communicative module for students with an A/S level in Spanish or comparable standard of competency.
Grammar and cultural themes are developed focusing on the world of work.
This module aims to:
- revise and consolidate grammar as required by the class;
- introduce complex grammatical structures;
- extend both general and specific vocabulary related to the field of the work environment and of science;
- read and understand texts of some complexity about the world of work, contemporary Spain and science;
- improve students’ oral and written communication skills;
- equip students with skills for studying and working in Spanish-speaking countries.
By the end of the module, students should have reached approximately the B1+ standard of the Common European Framework of Reference (CEFR)
To be eligible for this module you need to have done one of the following:
- successfully completed Spanish Level 2;
- gained a Spanish A/S level Qualification;
- already achieved A2+ or equivalent on the Common European Framework of Reference (CEFR).
You are advised to review material from your previous courses before the start of this module.
Please note: This module is currently undergoing minor modifications and is therefore subject to change.
On successful completion of this module, you will be able to:
- participate in oral interactions producing connected and comprehensible spoken language to deal with a range of familiar topics and personal interest matters;
- respond to and produce written texts of moderate complexity applying your grammatical and lexical knowledge at a CEFR B1-level (Common European Framework of Reference, threshold level);
- demonstrate the relevant level of intercultural awareness in your handling of routine social interactions in Spanish and in your use of language;
- use a basic range of digital language learning tools independently to support your production and expand your knowledge.
Indicative core content
In this module, you will cover the following linguistic structures:
- revise basic structures such as the conjugation of irregular verbs;
- past tense contrast;
- direct and indirect object pronouns;
- the subjunctive and its uses;
The study of linguistic structures will be embedded within topics such as:
- lifestyle and traditions;
- cultural aspects of Spanish-speaking countries;
- the world of work, and the world of science.
Learning and teaching approach
In line with MFL communicative and active learning methodologies, in-class activities cover all four skills (reading, writing, listening and speaking) and include: pair work (dialogue practice, information gap exercises, discussion and collection of key terms/ideas followed by report to plenum); group work (discussion, creation of posters); individual tasks (presentations [with PP as well as video uploaded to Blackboard]); discovery and formulation of rules; critical evaluation of texts, audio and video material. Homework and coursework tasks give you the tools required to participate in class and the opportunity to revise and consolidate knowledge and skills while developing an awareness of how to use language learning tools independently. This approach not only ensures you engage with a wide range of tasks, but also supports different learning styles.
Your coursework will be marked and returned within two weeks. Rubrics and revision guidance (how-to guides) will be included as needed with each coursework. You will receive detailed feedback alongside suggestions for improvement and an overall percentage showing your provisional grade for that assessment.
- Coursework (15%): Mid-term 1, integrated skills set of tasks: writing, listening, speaking (incl. essay of c. 200 words).
- Examination (15%): In-class test run on the virtual learning environment (bring your own device). This 1-hour test will take place at the end of term 1. It will include a grammar/lexicon quiz, a reading comprehension and a writing task (200-220 words).
- Coursework (20%): Mid-term 2, integrated skills set of tasks: listening, writing, speaking (incl. essay of c. 250 words).
- Examination (20%): In-class test run on the virtual learning environment (bring your own device). This 1-hour test will take place at the end of term 2. It will include a grammar/lexicon quiz, a reading comprehension and a writing task (220-250 words).
- Practical (30%): Oral exam in term 3 including graded open conversation on topics seen in class (approx. 20 minutes).
- 7.5 ECTS points awarded on successful completion of the module.
- Available to take for credit towards your degree where your department allows. Also available for extra-credit.
- You must be prepared to attend all classes and and undertake approximately 3 hours of private study each week in addition to the assessment.
Coursebook: Aula Internacional Plus 3 – B1 (Students’ book with downloadable mp3), Jaime Corpas, A. Garmendia, C. Soriano, N. Sanz. Ed. Difusión, 2021. ISBN: 9788418032226
Additional material: Other material produced by the teacher will be provided in class: grammar work sheets; articles on contemporary Spain from various sources; scientific texts and audiovisual material will also be used. Further sources of review and information will be provided through Blackboard.
Further grammar support: Students' Basic Grammar of Spanish: Book A1-B1, Jose Plácido, A. Ed. Difusión, 2013. ISBN: 978-8484434375
Gramática básica del estudiante de español (A1-B1), by Rosario Alonso Raya et al., Difusión, ISBN: 978-84-8443-726-0
"I really enjoy spanish, it's a nice break from my main course and the teacher is really good. The content is easy enough to follow and still new and interesting so it's a good balance."
"Lots of links posted on Blackboard which is very useful and it is easy to catch up after missing a lesson thanks to this. The course is well paced and I feel tested."