Funding is often secured through Wellcome Trust or MRC DTP Fellowships. Further information about this and specific projects studying under the supervision of Departmental supervisors who have obtained funding are advertised below.
For up-to-date information on tuition fees, please refer to the College's Fees and Funding pages. It should be noted that supervisors may charge an additional ‘bench fee’ from sponsors to cover the costs of laboratory expenses (consumables and equipment) for postgraduate research projects.
The President’s PhD Scholarship
- Full funding for tuition fees
- A stipend of £21,400 per annum for 3.5 years
- A consumables fund of £2,000 per annum for the first 3 years of study
- 50 scholarships awarded per year.
- Includes First Class UK degree or equivalent. If a Master's is held, it must be awarded with Distinction.
- The Department is not currently considering overseas applications.
- Complete an online application by the deadline stated on the President’s PhD Scholarship webpage.
- Prior to applying applicants must have made contact with a supervisor who has agreed to supervise their research project. Supervisors are limited to supervise one student at any time.
MultiSci MRC DTP Studentships
A fully funded studentship awarded to individuals with settled UK status (a fees-only financial package is available to students ordinarily resident in a member state of the EU)
- Full funding for tuition fees
- A stipend of £19,668 per annum for 3.5 years
- A research training support grant (RTSG) of £5,000 per annum, paid to the supervisor for supporting the student’s training and research
- Payment of Completing Research Status fee of £200 to allow registration as a writing-up student.
- A conference fund of £300 per annum to facilitate registration and attendance at conferences and scientific meetings.
- Supplement funds to support a wide range of research and training activities including internships, high-cost training and outreach.
Includes at least an Upper Second Class Honours degree and settled UK status for the full award or a fees-only financial package for students ordinarily resident in a member state of the EU.
Complete an online application with Imperial College London by the deadline stated on the MultiSci MRC DTP Studentship webpages. Prior to applying applicants are not expected to have confirmed a PhD supervisor or title but a clear idea of the area you wish to pursue will be beneficial for your personal statement.
CSC Joint Funding
- 15 scholarships awarded per year
- Funding for the scholarships is split between the CSC and the College. Within the College, it is shared between Departments and Central College funds
- The College-level funding is delegated to the Department which is usually delegated to the supervisor who is expected to cover the student’s stipend and £1k to attend conferences
Each scholarship includes payment of
- Overseas fees at the prevailing rate in any given year
- Maintenance allowance equal to Imperial’s minimum stipend allowance in any given year. For 2019/20, this was £17,009 per year.
- One economy class return journey to China (one journey during the PhD – not on an annual basis).
- Chinese students with a strong academic background
- Applicants must hold a PR China passport. Students do not need to be resident in China at the time of/before application
- Students with prior experience of studying overseas (including in the UK) are eligible to apply
- Current Chinese Master's students at Imperial are eligible for the scheme
- Students who are not currently studying must be working full time and must apply through their previous academic institution in China;
- Students from Hong Kong or Taiwan are not eligible to apply.
- Please note: successful scholarship applicants are required to return to China to work for a period of two years after graduation.
CSC Fully Funded Scholarship
Students should apply directly to the CSC usually through their ‘home’ Chinese institution. Further information is available from the ‘home’ Chinese institution.
AI4Health - UKRI Centre for Doctoral Training in AI for Healthcare
AI4 Health's vision is to establish a world-leading centre for PhD training of next-generation innovators in Artificial Intelligence (AI) applied to Healthcare.
The Centre's PhD training has four broad healthcare themes that leverage AI in healthcare:
- Making healthcare provision more efficient and effective by increasing the productivity of doctors and nurses or patients through assistive technology
- Developing AI-based diagnostics & monitoring that can, for example, detect disease earlier and monitor health with higher precision
- AI-based decision support systems that will, for example, free up doctors’ and patient’s time to focus on key challenges or optimising the delivery or development of treatments
- AI that accelerates patient-centric drug and treatment development.
Imperial College’s Scholarships Search Tool
Other scholarships may be available for students with particular track records and nationalities, and it is advised that this tool is used to help search for available scholarships.