The Molecular Diagnostics Unit (MDU) is an independent, UKAS-accredited diagnostic laboratory (ISO15189) administered by Imperial College London through its subsidiary Imperial Consultants.
The Unit was established by Professor Myra McClure in the academic Department of Infectious Diseases and provides specialist molecular diagnostic tests in virology and other infectious diseases. The tests provided have been developed as research tools within the research department and have subsequently been validated for use as routine diagnostic methods.
The research interests of the department include, amongst others
- designing novel assays
- understanding the mechanism of retrovirus integration
- the evolution of the neutralising antibody response from primary HIV infection
- development of HIV protein expression systems for the production of antigens for HIV vaccine trials
- the role of C. trachomatis in reactive arthritis
- the pathogenesis of early HCV infection
- the role of endogenous retroviruses in melanoma
- study of the clonality of HTLV infected cells