Register your interest
The Faculty of Medicine at Imperial College London manages this pre-application mailing list. We use your information to email you with news and information about our courses. We will also email you about College activities and events which may interest you.
We are committed to protecting the privacy and security of your personal information. We process your personal data in line with the College’s Data Protection Policy and Privacy Notice for Students and Prospective Students.
We currently use the third party services of ‘MailChimp’ to operate this mailing list. MailChimp is located in the United States. More information about how we collect and use your data, and how we protect your data when sharing with third parties is available in the expandable 'Register Interest Privacy Notice' below.
You can remove yourself from this mailing list at any time. An unsubscribe link is available in each email we send.
Register interest privacy notice and terms for processing data
This mailing list is part of the ‘Register Interest’ service which is managed by the Faculty of Medicine at Imperial College London. We are committed to protecting the privacy and security of your personal information.
How we process your personal data
Data controller and this notice:
Imperial College of Science, Technology and Medicine (the “College” or “Imperial” or “we”) is a "data controller" and therefore responsible for deciding how we hold and use personal information about you. This notice does not form part of any contract to provide services and we may update this notice at any time.
Categories of personal data being processed:
We may collect, store, and use the following categories of personal information about you: personal contact details such as name and email address; tracking technologies such as device, operating system information and IP address. We do not expect to collect, store or use any "special categories" of more sensitive personal information.
Where we get your personal data from:
- We collect personal information about you via this form and utilise tracking information from your use of online services such as this form, our website and list emails.
- If you attend any additional events, contact the College by other means (including via links provided in list emails), apply to become or become a student at the College, we will collect additional personal information through those activities and we will, as required, inform you of how we would hold and use such personal information at the relevant time.
The legal basis for processing your personal data:
- We will only use your personal information when the law allows us to. Most commonly, we will use your personal information in the following circumstances:
- Where it is either necessary for our legitimate interests (or those of a third party) and your interests and fundamental rights do not override those interests or is necessary for the performance of a task carried out in the public interest or in the exercise of official authority vested in us as a university.
- Where you have given us consent to process the information.
- Where we need to comply with a legal obligation.
- Where we need to protect your vital interests (or someone else's interests) e.g. in medical emergencies.
- Where we need to perform the contract we have entered into with you or in order to take steps at your request prior to the entry into a contract.
The purposes for which we process your personal data:
The situations in which we will process your personal information are:
- To provide you with the information and services that you request from us;
- To contact you by email in relation to key events and useful information about courses and related activities at Imperial;
- To analyse recruitment and marketing activities in order to determine their effectiveness and our future strategies;
- For monitoring and evaluation purposes, internal reporting purposes and for research and statistical analysis.
Some of the above grounds for processing will overlap and there may be several grounds which justify our use of your personal information.
We will only use your personal information for the purposes for which we collected it unless we reasonably consider that we need to use it for another reason and that reason is compatible with the original purpose. If we need to use your personal information for an unrelated purpose, we will notify you and we will explain the legal basis which allows us to do so. Please note that we may process your personal information without your knowledge or consent, in compliance with the above rules, where this is required or permitted by law.
How we share your personal data and transfers to third-party countries:
Sharing your information with third parties:
- We may share your personal information with third parties where required by law, where it is necessary to administer our relationship with you or where we have another legitimate interest in doing so.
- We may also share your personal information with other third parties, for example in the context of the possible sale or restructuring of the business and operations of the College. We may also need to share your personal information with a regulator or to otherwise comply with the law.
- All our third-party service providers and other entities in the group are required to take appropriate security measures to protect your personal information in line with data protection laws. We do not allow our third-party service providers to use your personal data for their own purposes. We only permit them to process your personal data for specified purposes and in accordance with our instructions.
- Some third parties may process your personal information outside the EU. Where this is the case, you can expect a similar degree of protection in respect of your personal information.
- MailChimp’s servers and offices are located in the United States, so your information may be transferred to, stored, or processed in the United States. MailChimp participates in and has certified its compliance with the EU-U.S. Privacy Shield Framework and, on this basis, we can lawfully transfer personal information to them for the purposes of MailChimp providing their services to us.
- In future, we may change the provider of third-party services to support or enhance this system. In such circumstances, we will always ensure that appropriate protections are in place to safeguard your data in line with applicable laws.
We have put in place appropriate security measures to prevent your personal information from being accidentally lost, used or accessed in an unauthorised way, altered or disclosed. In addition, we limit access to your personal information to those employees, agents, contractors and other third parties who have a business need to know. They will only process your personal information on our instructions and they are subject to a duty of confidentiality.
We have put in place procedures to deal with any suspected data security breach and will notify you and any applicable regulator of a suspected breach where we are legally required to do so.
How long we retain your personal information for:
You can unsubscribe from this mailing list at any time by clicking on the unsubscribe option available at the foot of every email we send you.
Please note that you will continue to receive communications from us via this Register Interest system until whichever is the sooner of the following:
- you unsubscribe from this mailing list (as described above), or
- you submit an application to this course (please allow up to 31 calendar days from the date your application is received by Imperial College London for contact from this system to cease), or
- April after the date you subscribed to this system +3 years.
We will only retain your personal information for as long as necessary to fulfil the purposes we collected it for, including for the purposes of satisfying any legal, accounting, or reporting requirements. Details of retention periods for different records the College holds are available in our retention policy which is available on the Archives and Corporate Records Unit website.
If you go on to apply for a postgraduate course at Imperial you will be offered the opportunity to express your applicant/student marketing preferences when you apply and will also be able to unsubscribe from such future applicant/student marketing communications at any time. Please note that if you opt-out of receiving email communications about College news, events and services this will not affect receipt of email communications that the College needs to send you in order to consider you for admission or to administer your enrolment to the College.
Your rights as a data subject: You have the right to:
- withdraw consent where that is the legal basis of our processing;
- access your personal data that we process;
- rectify inaccuracies in personal data that we hold about you;
- be forgotten, that is your details to be removed from systems that we use to process your personal data;
- restrict the processing in certain ways;
- obtain a copy of your data in a commonly used electronic form; and
- object to certain processing of your personal data by us.
You have a right to complain to the Information Commissioner’s Office about the way in which we process your personal data. Please see https://ico.org.uk/.
Questions and contact details:
If you have any concerns with regard to the way your personal data is being processed or have a query with regard to this information, please contact our Data Protection Officer at:
Imperial College London
Data Protection Officer
Faculty Building Level 4
London SW7 2AZ