Mathematics PhD student wins one of six 2016 Student Awards for Outstanding Achievement
The annual Student Awards for Outstanding Achievement celebrate exceptional students who have worked towards any extramural activity that brings credit to the College.
Congratulations to Franca Hoffmann for winning the 2016 award for the second time after being nominated by the Department of Mathematics. Franca has been recognised for her considerable contribution to international activities, a few of which have been listed below. This is in addition to her top performance as a young researcher!
- Director & Trustee of the UK based Charity & Non-Profit “Supporting African Mathematics Initiatives” (SAMI) since 2015
- Ghana Team Leader for the International Physics Olympiad 2016
- Took part in maths camps in Africa in previous years not directly related to SAMI: Ghana (2015), Kenya (2014) and London (2014)
- Was part of the French-Cameroonian documentary film “Yaoundé-Lyon - Le voyage d'une vie“ (“Yaounde-Lyon - The journey of a lifetime“) with director Ingrid Franchi, author Ferdinand Fokou and producer Aude Lefèvre
- Has participated in numerous cultural activities in the College: music performances, TEDxEuston (African Ideas Worth Spreading), and publications of articles related to international affairs and politics in “Felix”, “The Reporter”, “The London Eye”, “A Global Village” and “The Cambridge Student”
- An incredibly effective president of the Imperial College SIAM Student Chapter 2015-2016:
One of the main organisers of the Maths PhD Cohort Building activities 2015-2016
A driving force behind the Maths Helpdesk, which has been awarded £19,000 from the Vice-Provost (Education) for the pilot run in 2016-2017
Article text (excluding photos or graphics) available under an Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike Creative Commons license.
Photos and graphics subject to third party copyright used with permission or © Imperial College London.
Faculty of Natural Sciences