Covid-19 doesn't stop Design Engineering students from going to Industrial Placements
Industrial placements are an exciting integral part of the MEng course at the Dyson School of Design Engineering. The Dyson School is the newest engineering department at Imperial and takes a truly modern approach to engineering, with a holistic curriculum that prepares students to take ideas from the initial design stages right through to market.
The students gain cutting edge skills in engineering areas of high demand, ranging from computing, data science to design, UX, electronics and mechanics within a culture of innovation and enterprise. In their 3rd year the students undertake a six-months placement working in industry.
During the Covid-19 pandemic, it became challenging more than ever to find and host a placement. However, quick adjustments, determination and resilience from both companies and students led to all students finding an exciting placement.
This year students will be doing their placement in the UK, all over Europe (including Germany, Spain, France, The Netherlands), Africa and Asia. Some on-site and some remotely.
Placement employers include:
• Large technology companies (Apple, Amazon, P&G, Dyson)
• Automotive and Aerospace industries (Rolls-Royce, British Airways)
• Robotics (Ocado Technology, Resolve Robotics, Ocean Infinity)
• Finance (Coutts, City Bank, Soderberg & Partners)
• Sustainability (Sofies, Common Seas, Tewke, Hitachi ABB Power Grids)
• Technology and multimedia (Emotech, Inrange Golf, Hisense, CYENS),
• Music/audio technology (WeJam, Audio Experience Design Lab, IMRSVRay),
• Healthcare (KwickScreen, Tuune)
• 3D and Materials (Rheon Labs, MX3D, Photocentric, 3D People)
• Consultancies (ELSE London, Kinneir Dufort, 40-60 Studio, OceanHub Africa, IDC Shanghai, Boston Consulting Group).
• Three students will work on their own start-up initiative
“The students are so creative and so curious I absolutely love that, they bring so much passion and very different perspectives” (Katie Young, Head of Banking and Lending, Coutts – hosted six placement students in 2020)
To see the work the students have done last year and the companies they went to, visit https://2020.deshowcase.london/placements
Article text (excluding photos or graphics) © Imperial College London.
Photos and graphics subject to third party copyright used with permission or © Imperial College London.
Dyson School of Design Engineering
Show all stories by this author