Information for renewals
This process is only open to existing Future Leaders Fellows
Successful applicants to the Future Leaders Fellowships (FLF) scheme have the opportunity to extend their four-year fellowship by up to a further three years. The renewal funding will continue to support the development of a leading-edge fellow and further the fellow’s work to undertake adventurous, ambitious programmes that tackle difficult and novel challenges. Fellows can apply for up to £567K UKRI contribution for the renewal period.
The renewal project should be a continuation of the original FLF application. However, it is recognised that the project will have developed and progressed, and a fellow may change the direction of their project over the period of the fellowship. It is expected that fellows may choose to alter their planned programme of research or innovation in response to new discoveries or techniques. This is to build on their own changing experience, or to reflect changing business requirements and market opportunities.
How to apply
Full details and guidance are available on the UKRI FLF Renewal webpages.
Eligible fellows should apply to the assessment meeting that aligns with the end date of their initial FLF award (see Renewal Timeline below and in Annex A of the UKRI Guidance (available on the UKRI webpages under 'Additional Information')). If you have been granted a no cost extension, your end date will have been extended to take into account the additional time requested, and this date should be used instead. If there is a reason which means you are unable to submit to your allocated meeting, please advise the FLF renewal team as soon as possible, at least 3 months prior to the relevant deadline.
Institutional supporting statement
This is a mandatory attachment for the renewal application and must be jointly from the Vice Provost (Research and Enterprise) and the Head of Department. The text for this letter must be prepared by the fellow's department, signed by the Head of Department, and sent as a Word document to email@example.com by the appropriate deadline on the timeline below for checking, addition of the Vice Provost letterhead, and countersigning by the Vice Provost.
Letters have a limit of 2 pages and must be prepared in Arial 11 with a 2cm margin.
The statement must outline:
- The commitment from the Host Organisation to realising the potential of the fellow and establishing them as a research/innovation leader to date and in the future
- How the host has supported the fellow and their programme of work outlined in the original application, including the future commitments the department will make to mentor and support the fellow
- Confirmation of an open-ended UK based independent research and/or innovation position that the fellow has been successful in securing. If an open-ended position has not yet been secured, the commitment from the Host Organisation and the progress the fellow has made towards securing an open-ended position to be taken up during or upon the completion of the renewal fellowship, must be detailed (in line with organisational employment policies and practices)
- Confirmation of the commitment to the salary of the fellow (60% in years 5 and 6, 80% in year 7), and whether any additional grant funding will be used to contribute to the salary
- Confirmation of the commitment to 50% of any Equipment costs requested in the application
- If moving host organisation, the new host must maintain any commitments to the fellow as per the original application. This should be highlighted in the supporting statement
There will be three renewal panel meetings per year and fellows should apply to the one aligned with their current fellowship end date. The timings for these meetings is below, with additional information regarding when institutional letters should be submitted for approval.
Renewal Meeting 8 (Eligible end dates Sept-Dec 2024)
- Support letter to Research Office - 17 November 2023
- Call close – 1 December 2023
- Outcomes – March 2024
Renewal Meeting 9 (Eligible end dates Jan-Apr 2025)
- Support letter to Research Office - 15 March 2024
- Call close – 2 April 2024
- Outcomes – July 2024
Renewal Meeting 10 (Eligible end dates May-Aug 2025)
- Support letter to Research Office - 27 June 2024
- Call close – 11 July 2024
- Outcomes – November 2024
Renewal Meeting 11 (Eligible end dates Sept-Dec 2025)
- Support letter to Research Office - 18 November 2024
- Call close – December 2024 (TBC)
- Outcomes – March 2025 (TBC)