Railway Benchmarking at the Transport Strategy Centre
The Transport Strategy Centre (TSC) facilitates international railway benchmarking through four groups, the International Suburban Rail Benchmarking Group (ISBeRG), the International Mainline Rail Benchmarking Group (IMRBG), the Railway Infrastructure Asset Management Benchmarking Group (RIAMBiG), and the FLIRT Optimisation and Innovation Group (FLIRT). Each group covers different parts of the railway industry as follows:
- ISBeRG is a group for international suburban railway operators
- IMRBG is a group for international mainline railway operators
- RIAMBiG focuses on railway infrastructure asset management for international railways
- FLIRT focuses on the use of FLIRT rolling stock that is manufactured by Stadler Rail
ISBeRG has been running its benchmarking programme continuously since 2009 while the IMRBG and RIAMBiG groups have been running theirs since 2016, and FLIRT since 2019. Their programmes are based on the benchmarking process of the TSC including the Objectives of Benchmarking and Success Factors for Benchmarking.
Each group is owned and run by the members themselves and managed by the TSC since each group’s inception. The main activities of the group include the collection, analysis and reporting of a comprehensive set of Key Performance Indicators (KPIs), in-depth case studies to identify and share transferable best practices, twice-yearly meetings hosted by member railways and a secure website to share to facilitate information sharing.
Their activities are carried out within a framework of confidentiality. Any information that is released outside the group must follow strict anonymisation protocols. All member metro organisations are required to sign and adhere to a confidentiality agreement.
For more details about the group, including its history, current members, and contact information, please visit their respective websites:
- International Suburban Rail Benchmarking Group website
- International Mainline Rail Benchmarking Group website
- Railway Infrastructure Asset Management Benchmarking Group website
- FLIRT Optimisation and Innovation Group website (in development)
Learn more about our other benchmarking projects
Visit the benchmarking group websites
Benchmarking Group of North American Light Rail
The Benchmarking Group of North American Light Rail Systems
International Bus Benchmarking Group
A international benchmarking group of major urban bus operations.
Mainline Rail Benchmarking Group
An international benchmarking group for mainline passenger rail operators.
International Suburban Rail Benchmarking
An international benchmarking group for suburban rail operators