Facilities and Equipment
Supporting Innovative Research and The Development of Emerging Technologies
The CAMO facility has designated space for fungal biology, bacteriology, molecular biology, equipment fabrication and thereaputic drug monitoring. Each area is designed to provide the space and resources to enable researchers and collaborators to work together in a multidisciplinary environment.
Specialist equipment are also availble, these are listed below and can be accessed following training and set up on our booking system on PPMS (registration required).
For enquires regarding the use of our equipment or the PPMS booking system, please do get in touch via our Contact Us page.
Phenotype MicroArray: OmniLog
Omnilog Phenotype MicroArray
OmniLog® PM System (catalogue number 93184)
PM-M Software. Adds software capable of performing phenotypic assays using mammalian cells. (catalogue number UA24000-PMM)
Phenotype MicroArrays (PMs) represent the third major technology, alongside DNA Microarrays and Proteomic Technologies, that is needed in the genomic era of research and drug development. Just as DNA Microarrays and Proteomic Technologies have made it possible to assay the level of thousands of genes or proteins all at once, Phenotype MicroArrays make it possible to quantitatively measure thousands of cellular phenotypes all at once.
Phenotype MicroArray technology enables researchers to evaluate nearly 2000 phenotypes of a microbial cell in a single experiment. Through comprehensive and precise quantitation of phenotypes, researchers are able to obtain an unbiased perspective of the effect on cells of genetic differences, environmental change, and exposure to drugs and chemicals. You can:
- Correlate genotypes with phenotypes
- Determine a cell’s metabolic and chemical sensitivity properties
- Discover new targets for antimicrobial compounds
- Optimize cell lines and culture conditions in bioprocess development
- Characterize cell phenotypes for taxonomic or epidemiological studies
Phenotype MicroArray Mammalian assays are cell-based assays used to investigate up to 1,400 metabolic and chemical sensitivity phenotypes of mammalian cells. They use 96 well plates pre-loaded with carbon-energy and nitrogen substrates, ions, hormones/cytokines and anti-cancer agents. Plates are inoculated with the cells of interest and Biolog’s proprietary redox dye. In some wells, the cells are stimulated and in other wells inhibited. The generation of energy-rich NADH by the cells reduces the redox dye and brings about a color change which is then read with Biolog’s OmniLog automated incubator-reader.
Phenotype MicroArray Mammalian Assays can be used for diverse research and applications including:
- Correlating genotypes with phenotypes
- Studying metabolic reprogramming in cancer and anti-cancer drug sensitivity
- Drug discovery research and toxicity screening
- Cell line and bioprocess improvement
- Cellular metabolism, metabolic disorders, nutrition
- Cell energetics, growth and death
- Cell line QC and authentication
Phenotype MicroArrays are preconfigured 96 well plates containing different classes of chemical compounds designed to test for the presence or absence of specific cellular phenotypes. There are 10 panels designed to interrogate metabolic pathways along with ionic, osmotic and pH effects, and 10 panels to assess the sensitivity to various antimicrobials with different mechanisms of action.
HOW PHENOTYPE MICROARRAY TECHNOLOGY WORKS:
DNA Microarrays and Proteomic Technologies allow scientists to detect genes or proteins that are coregulated and whose patterns of change correlate with something important such as a disease state. However there is no assurance that these changes are really significant to the cell. Phenotype MicroArrays are a complementary technology providing the needed information at the cellular level.
Phenotype MicroArrays are preconfigured sets of phenotypic tests deployed on microplate panels. Each well of the array is designed to test a different phenotype after inoculation with a standardized cell suspension, allowing simultaneous testing of thousands of phenotypes in a single experiment.
Phenotype MicroArrays use Biolog’s patented redox technology, with cell respiration (NADH production) as a universal reporter. If the phenotype is strongly “positive” in a well, the cells respire actively, reducing a tetrazolium dye and forming a strong color. If it is weakly positive or negative, respiration is slowed or stopped, and the result is less color or no color.
The redox assay provides for both amplification and precise quantitation of phenotypes. Incubation and recording of phenotypic data is performed automatically by the OmniLog instrument.
To compare the phenotypes of two cell lines, one is recorded as a red tracing and one as a green tracing. These graphs can then be overlaid by the bioinformatic software to detect differences. Areas of overlap are colored yellow, whereas differences are highlighted as patches of red or green.
KINETIC DATA CAPTURE AND ANALYSIS:
OmniLog PM software contains a suite of algorithms that work in conjunction with the OmniLog PM system and Phenotype MicroArray panels to automate incubation of up to fifty microplates at a fixed user-controlled temperature with complete collection of colorimetric assay data over time. These programs allow for display of kinetic data from PM panels recorded by the OmniLog PM system, manage and analyze the data, export it in a variety of raw and processed forms, and generate reports.
Automated Nucleic Acid Extraction: QIAsymphony SP
QIAsymphony SP System
Catalogue number 9001751
For fully integrated automation of sample preparation, the QIAsymphony SP enables sample preparation of DNA, RNA, and bacterial and viral nucleic acids from a wide range of starting materials.
The QIAsymphony SP can save you time by processing 1–96 samples — in batches of 24 — with sample volumes up to 2 ml. A dedicated range of QIAsymphony Kits increase laboratory efficiency since just a few kits in combination with optimized protocols cover an extensive range of starting materials and applications. QIAsymphony technology combines the speed and efficiency of silica-based purification with the convenient handling of magnetic particles.
Mass Spec: Agilent Ultivo Triple Quadrupole LC/MS
Agilent: Ultivo Triple Quadrupole LC/MS
- G7120A - Agilent 1290 Infinity II High Speed Pump - 1300 bar
- G7167B - Agilent 1290 Infinity II Multisampler - 1300 bar. For well plates and vials
- G7167B 112 - 1290 Infinity Multi-wash option
- G7116B - Agilent 1290 Infinity II Multicolumn Thermostat. Capacity: 8 columns.
- G6465AA - Agilent Ultivo Triple Quadrupole LC/MS
- G1953A - Peak Genius XE 35 Nitrogen Generator
Ultivo is a compact, stackable triple quadrupole LC/MS/MS that eliminates the MS footprint by incorporating the mass spectrometer into the HPLC stack. Representing a transformative approach to triple quadrupole mass spectrometry, Ultivo provides the fit-for-purpose, straightforward, and rugged LC/MS analysis you expect from larger comparable systems, but at a fraction of their size.
Innovations such as the miniature Vortex collision cell, Cyclone ion guide, and VacShield provide users with the sensitivity, robustness, reliability, and performance required for the day-in, day-out challenges of high-throughput sample analysis. With the addition of an ESI-only model, and features geared to assist you with 21 CFR Part 11 compliance, the Ultivo miniature mass spectrometer continues to reshape expectations, re-invent capabilities, and redefine what’s possible when small meets powerful.
- Smallest footprint of any LC/TQ on the market, delivering a price/performance per square foot ratio that leads to reduced costs and the fastest path to achieving ROI
- Multiple ion source configurations available, including Agilent Jet Stream and traditional ESI
- VacShield eliminates the need to vent the system while performing ion injector maintenance, minimizing maintenance downtime and increasing laboratory efficiency
- Cyclone ion guide compresses the ion beam without loss of signal, resulting in higher ion transmission efficiencies and enhanced data quality
- Vortex collision cell provides efficient dissociation of ions in the cell, improved focusing and transmission of ions, and rapid clearance of the cell between mass transitions, thereby allowing for more MRMs/sec, zero crosstalk, and greater confidence in results by removing noisy background
- Screen, confirm, and quantitate with triggered MRM (tMRM), which combines fast and sensitive MRM quantitation with the generation of a product ion spectrum for compound screening and confirmation
- Intuitive 'Quant-My-Way' software and the MassHunter Productivity App boost productivity by up to 40%, require less need for operator training, reduce time spent reviewing data, and simplify report generation
- Enhanced maintenance feedback (EMF) features deliver smart, self-aware diagnostics to ensure optimum uptime and help drive down maintenance costs
- Built-in technical controls combined with procedural controls ensure the security of your data, control access, and facilitate compliance as defined by US FDA 21 CFR Part 11, EU Annex 11 and similar national electronic record regulations
- Collision Cell Clearance Time: <1 ms
- IDL Sensitivity: <20 fg Reserpine on-column, <20 ppt; IDL spec only for new LC/MS systems using Agilent Jet Stream + checkout column + 1290 Infinity II LC
- Ion Source: ESI, AJS, APCI
- MRM Speed: 500 MRM transitions/s
- Mass Range: m/z 5-1400
- Minimum MRM Dwell Time: 1 ms
- Polarity Switch Speed: <20 ms
- Scan Speed: 15000 Da/s
Flow Cytometer: Attune
Attune Flow Cytometer
Attune™ NxT Flow Cytometer, blue/red (catalogue number: A24863)
Attune™ NxT Flow Cytometer Autosampler (catalogue number: 4473928)
- Blue Excitation Laser (488 nm)
- Red Excitation Laser (638 nm)
The 2020 Attune NxT Flow Cytometer has expanded functionalities to drive your research forward. Designed and developed to remove common barriers associated with flow cytometry, the evolutionary capabilities of the Attune NxT Flow Cytometer offer adaptable optical configuration options so you can get the most out of your multicolor analysis.
- New CytKick and CytKick Max autosampler—more efficiency for high-throughput assays
- New 21 CFR part 11 compliant software for regulated laboratories on Windows 10 operating system
- Improved workflow for run protocol and instrument settings management
The innovative combination of acoustic focusing technology coupled with traditional hydrodynamic focusing results in acquisition speeds up to 10X faster than other flow cytometers. This technology reduces the time needed to obtain results.
- True 35,000 event/sec (+10% coincidence rates)
- Maximum electronic speed of 65,000 events/sec
- Analyze small or limited samples faster than ever
- Efficiently run traditionally long assays
The Attune NxT Flow Cytometer is ideal for immunophenotyping and signaling studies, cell cycle analysis, detection of rare events, stem cell analysis, cancer and apoptosis studies, microbiological assays, and more.
Tune into your data:
The Attune NxT Flow Cytometer easily runs most samples including cardiomyocytes. The system is designed with a clog-resistant syringe-driven system to push the sample with a force of up to 75 psi.
- Flexibility in sample concentrations and sample types
- Elimination of time-consuming concentration steps with No-Wash, No-Lyse Filter Kit
- Analysis of dilute samples, including CSF, stem cells, mouse bone marrow, mouse blood, and thin needle aspirates
- Acquisition of a high volume of samples in minimal time
1 x 96-well or 384-well plate (standard or deep-well)
384-well plate, 96-well plate
The Attune NxT Flow Cytometer Autosampler is an add-on accessory compatible with Attune NxT Flow Cytometer models designed for use with this device (Cat. Nos. A24858, A24859, A24860, A24861, A24862, A24863, A24864, A28993, A28995, A28997, A28999, A29001, A29002, A29003, A29004). The Attune NxT Autosampler enables rapid processing of multiple samples by automatically analyzing samples from 96-, 384-, and deep-well plates. An Attune NxT Autosampler Accessory Kit is included. A computer is not included with the autosampler, as it is included with the cytometer itself.
Features of the Attune NxT Autosampler include:
- Reliable—no-clog instrument design with Intelligent Probe results in higher productivity, less down time
- Broad compatibility—compatible with many different plate formats, including 96-, 384-, and deep-well plates
- Consistent data—designed to provide minimal variation regardless of sampling method (tube vs. plate) and collection rate
- Mixing by aspiration—mixing of sample by aspiration instead of shaking ensures homogeneity of the sample and maintains cell viability
- Simple to use—experiment setup has never been this simple
The Attune NxT Autosampler was designed to minimize system down time. Automated sampling devices are often plagued by clogging or probe crashes. The Intelligent Probe, with a 200-micron diameter that is larger than most probes available in the industry, minimizes instances of clogging.
To prevent probe crashes, which may require expensive probe replacement, the Attune NxT Autosampler automatically performs a probe self-calibration every month to help ensure consistent positioning of the probe within every well. The self-calibration verifies proper function of the probe, reduces variability in probe positioning over time to prevent failures during plate runs, and helps improve reliability over the life of the system. Self-calibration of the probe also allows the autosampler to be easily moved, so it can be shared between multiple instruments.
The Attune NxT Autosampler allows use of many different plate formats, including 96-, 384-, and deep-well plates, without being restricted to a single manufacturer. To maintain system flexibility, the manual sample probe is always accessible even when the loader is present, and switching between tubes and plates is as simple as a flip of a switch.
In addition, the Attune NxT Autosampler initiates automated cleaning procedures when the instrument is shutting down to help ensure proper maintenance with little user interaction.
Unlike other plate loaders that mix samples by shaking, which may not ensure homogeneity of the sample, the Attune NxT Autosampler mixes samples by aspiration, enabling uniform mixing while preserving sample viability and resulting in consistent data throughout the plate.
Simple to use:
The instrument design and software were developed with customer ease-of-use in mind. The Attune NxT Autosampler has fluidic bottles with sensors that inform the user when the fluids need to be replaced. The autosampler’s indicator lights and warning systems have been designed to ensure that a user who has walked away from the system can easily see the system status at all times.
Setting up an experiment with the Attune NxT cytometric software is simple. Using a plate layout view, users can create compensation wells, define instrument settings, and identify samples. The intuitive software allows quick learning and data analysis. For example, a heat map view allows rapid screening and confirmation of samples while the instrument is acquiring data.
qPCR: QuantStudio 7 Flex
QuantStudio™ 7 Flex Real-Time PCR System
Catalog number: 4485700
- 384-well microfluidic card block
- 96-well block (ViiA 7 Fast 96-well; 0.1mL; catalogue number: 4453544)
(N.B. block formats are interchangable)
The Applied Biosystems® QuantStudio™ 7 Flex Real-Time PCR System advances your research further by enabling a broad range of real-time PCR-based applications through its multiplexing capabilities and interchangeable block formats. With a simplified workflow, intuitive software, automation capabilities, and touch-screen interface, the QuantStudio™ 7 Flex system offers exceptional reproducibility with minimal well-to-well and instrument-to-instrument variation.
Features of the QuantStudio™ 7 Flex Real-Time PCR System include:
- Increased application versatility through the accomodation of 4 different block types
- Compatible with over 8 million TaqMan® assays for gene expression, genetic variation, gene regulation, or protein expression experiments
- The intelligent design of the QuantStudio™ platform combined with Applied Biosystems® instrument reliability and accuracy
- Easy-to-use software, responsive touch-screen, automation capabilities, and effortless block exchange without the need for any tools
High Application Versatility:
Simple workflows, reliable assays and reagents, multiple formats, and intuitive software are available for a broad range of applications, including gene expression, genetic variation, gene regulation, High Resolution Melt (HRM), and Protein Thermal Shift™ experiments.
Results You Can Trust:
Improved well-to-well and instrument-to-instrument data accuracy is achieved with the OptiFlex™ system, which features 6 decoupled excitation and emission filter channels with 21 filter combinations for maximum multiplexing and chemistry flexibility.
Sensitive Data Analysis:
Detect changes in target quantity as small as 1.5-fold in single-plex reactions and obtain 10 logs of linear dynamic range.
QIAquant 96 5plex
Catalogue number: 9003011
- Fast cycling protocol, down to 30 minutes for 40 cycles
- Multiplex detection of up to 5 different targets
- Temperature ramping rates up to 8°C/s
- Temperature uniformity down to ±0.15°C across the sample block
- Gradient function for assay optimization
Channel; Excitation (nm);Detection (nm); Examples of fluorophores detected:
- Blue; 465±15; 524±12; FAM™, SYBR® Green, EvaGreen®
- Green; 510±15; 565±15; JOE™, HEX™, VIC®
- Orange; 560±15; 610±15; ROX™, Texas Red®
- Red; 625±10; 680±15; Cy5®, Alexa Fluor® 647
- NIR 1; 625±10; 710±20; Cy5.5®, Quasar® 705
- Format: Thermal block with 96 wells
- Sample volume: 5–100 µl (10–80 µl recommended)
- Number of samples per run: 1 x 96-well microplate with optical film; 12 x 8-well strips 0.2 ml with optical lids; 96 x 0.2 ml individual vessels with optical lids
- Thermal performance: Range 3–99°C; control accuracy ±0.1°C
- Temperature gradient: 40°C
- Maximum heating rate: max. 8°C/s, av. 7°C/s (depending on consumables used)
- Maximum cooling rate: max. 6°C/s, av. 5.5°C/s (depending on consumables used)
- Temperature uniformity (after 15 s): ±0.15 °C at 55 °C; ±0.25 °C at 72 °C; ±0.50 °C at 95 °C
- Sensitivity: 1 nmol/l FAM at 30 µl sample volume in a 96-well PCR plate
- Measuring time: 96-well plate (single measurement, 5 colors) approximately 6 s
- Application: Real-time PCR
- Multiplex capacity: 5 targets
- Sample capacity: 96 samples
- Control: Touchscreen and/or PC
The QIAquant instruments use a patented Fiber-Optic Shuttle System. Scanning just above the sample, the optic shuttle guarantees the homogeneous excitation of each individual sample and the reliable recording of the emitted fluorescent signals with high sensitivity and no cross-talk between wells. Composed of 4 different-colored long-life and high power LEDs, the light source guarantees the optimal excitation of known fluorescent dyes from blue to the near-infrared range and the emission signal is captured by a sensitive photomultiplier tube (PMT).The fiber-optic shuttle system is fitted with 8 individual light fibers in the QIAquant 96 instrument. This enables fast read-out times of only 6 seconds for an entire plate regardless of the number of filters. The QIAquant instruments do not require the use of a reference dye such as ROX and do not need regular calibration.
Accurate and homogeneous temperatures across the samples are critical for the rate and efficiency of PCR assays. The QIAquant instrument is fitted with high quality heating elements with gradient function and a temperature control precision of ± 0.1°C. The QIAquant 96 instruments are fitted with a sample block made of silver coated with gold. The sample block provides outstanding thermal properties in terms of temperature uniformity across the sample block down to ± 0.15°C at 55°C, and has an extremely fast heating and cooling rate up to 8°C/s. The uncompromising performance of the QIAquant ensures fast cycling and homogeneous heat distribution across all the wells of a plate. This ultimately means the highest possible reproducibility from well to well and from cycle to cycle.
The gradient function enables assay optimization and the easy determination of the optimal temperature for primer annealing which is crucial for efficient and specific target amplification. At any step in a protocol, you can program a temperature gradient with a span of up to 40°C across the reaction with 0.1°C steps. Instead of simply setting lower and upper limits, the Linear Gradient Tool (LGT) allows different integer temperature levels to be entered in relation to the calculated annealing temperature of the primers.
Motorized heated lid:
The QIAquant motorized heated lid applies homogeneous pressure and the temperature can be adjusted from 30°C to 110°C.
The QIAquant instruments enable quantitative real-time PCR in either intercalating dye or hydrolysis probe-based assays and in tubes, or in a 96- and 384-well plate format. QIAquant instruments are designed for convenience, ease of use and reliability, from run setup to interpretation of results. A QIAquant instrument will readily integrate in any new or existing real-time PCR workflow.
Flexibility of chemistries and plasticware:
The QIAquant instruments work as an open system and can be used in combination with any compatible real-time PCR kits. SBS sample blocks make the QIAquant systems compatible with the majority of tubes, strips and low- or normal- profile plates, skirted, half-skirted or unskirted. For best performance, QIAGEN recommends the used of dedicated qPCR plates with white well plates and qPCR compatible foils or seals.