Private Equity examines the role of private equity as a financing tool and as an investment opportunity, and explores the critical issues that the parties involved in a transaction - investors, lending banks, managers, entrepreneurs/shareholders and advisors - will face during the investment process and their negotiations.
This eleven week online programme draws on expertise from Imperial College Business School faculty, industry experts and case studies. You will explore the types and economics of private equity and topics such as raising equity and debt, growth capital, leveraged buyouts, and distress. You'll also learn how to set up private equity firms and funds, and discover career opportunities available in the industry.
You will experience live online teaching sessions, video lectures, interactive activities and assignments whilst receiving personal support from a dedicated Learning Team.
You will finish the programme prepared to implement your learnings, and with a verified Digital Certificate from Imperial College Business School Executive Education.
Who should attend?
This international programme allows participants working in private equity, investment banking, and finance to build solid foundational knowledge in the private equity industry and take advantage of it as a financial tool and an investment opportunity. This programme is most beneficial for professionals including:
- Analysts and managers seeking to understand who private equity negotiations and deal structuring work, as well as those looking to switch to private equity from investment banking
- Advisors and consultants aiming to create value for companies, excel at deal management, build long-term relationships, and better understand how to evaluate PE investment opportunities
- CXOs looking to build a roadmap for initiatives that will generate the most value for the company, and recognise the drivers of value creation in private equity.
- Describe the origins and organisation of the private equity industry
- Recognise the various segments of private equity and how they create value
- Illustrate the investment process and the importance of due diligence
- Identify the latest developments in the private equity industry
- Evaluate private equity investment opportunities
- Determine private equity negotiations and deal structuring
- Illustrate the managing and monitoring of an investment
- Perform valuation of LBOs and calculations for performance distribution
- Appreciate the roles and careers in the private equity industry
What you will learn
Module 1: Types and Economics of Private Equity
Module 2: Introduction to the Private Equity Industry
Module 3: Opportunity and Risk for Investors
Module 4: Private Equity Financing and Investment Process
Module 5: LBO Analysis and Valuation
Module 6: After the Deal
Module 7: Private Equity Through the Credit Crisis and Industry Evolution
Module 8: Future of Private Equity
Module 9: Private Equity in Developing Markets
Module 10: Fund Organisation and Career Opportunities
Marc Kitten is a founding partner at Candesic Strategy Consultants in London. He has 25 years of experience of transactions and financial markets. He advises corporations and financial investors in the areas of corporate strategy and corporate finance. He serves on the boards of several fast-growing companies. Prior to co-founding Candesic, he was a consultant at McKinsey & Co. In London and a Vice-President at Deutsche Bank in Frankfurt.
He is also a visiting professor in finance and strategy with 20 years of teaching experience at Imperial College London and other Business Schools in Europe, Asia and the US. He lectures both graduates and executives in most aspects of corporate finance and strategy. He is the author of the 2009 Vault Guide to Careers in Private Equity in Europe and has published several case studies.
Marc holds an MBA from the University of Chicago Booth School of Business, completed the Young Managers Programme at INSEAD and graduated from EDHEC Business School in Finance.
Become an Associate Alumni
Take your partnership with Imperial College Business School to the next level by becoming an Associate Alumni. Complete one (1) of our on-campus, online, and virtual programmes to claim 'Associate Alumni' status and join our active alumni community.
Imperial College Business School Global MBA
Successful completion of the Private Equity programme may be used for credit on the Imperial College Business School Global Online MBA, subject to acceptance onto the Global Online MBA programme and the payment of a small fee.